Honey on the Vine

A fantastic remastered 5 disc collection for the discerning collector. This set includes every official A and B side release from Matt's years with Fontana, Decca, EMI, Parlophone and Capitol Records.
paul jh

Honey on the Vine

Post by paul jh » Fri May 13, 2011 6:00 pm

I particularly love the full length version of Honey on the Vine with the slow fadeout, rather than the quick fadeout on the Capitol CD twofers. It's nice to hear Matt since the low notes. Plus the sound is clearly on The Complete Singles Collection. I keep forgetting to play my LP to see if it's the full version or has the quick fadeout.

Richard -- I read you've worked your magic on The Singer's Singer re-release; not sure I'll be buying again as it's missing a few of my favourites. Any chance for a re-issue/remastering of the Capital albums? I know they're some of your favourite MM recordings and it's so nice to have the full albums rather than only compilations.

Rmoore

Re: Honey on the Vine

Post by Rmoore » Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Glad it sounds clearer, That's my re-mastering style - Clean clear and 'warm' is what I strive for. 'Honey on the Vine' came from the original Stereo album master for the Singles collection. The 2 on 1 set it came from the second generation Mono UK tapes (which may in it's self been a fold down from the stereo making it third generation!). It's possible that the Mono fades a little earlier than the Stereo or the engineer who copied them faded it early to avoid some tape hiss. This is why I like to go back to the original masters.

I can understand your reluctance to re-buy an album you already have but remember that the Singer's Singer set does include a few rare tracks all of which have been remastered.

I can exclusively reveal here that I will be including a stereo mix of the single version of 'From Russia With Love' (without the strange noise in the middle!) almost every track comes directly from the original master tapes (some for the first time ever on CD) and ALL Capitol tracks are in Stereo including the first ever Stereo release of "Miss Brown To You". The only exceptions at the moment are 'Memory' and 'Be My Lady' where the master tapes are currently missing somewhere in Asia! (I'm still searching!!!) so at the moment these will still be vinyl dubs.

As far as the Capitol albums are concerned There is nothing planned as yet. After the re-issue, the next thing is the Rarer Monro and the project i'd like to do after that is 'The New York Sessions' but that is up to Michele & EMI.

In an ideal world I would love to put together a series of albums:

The Parlophone Albums 1960 - 1965 (3 albums with Bonus tracks Made exclusively for Liberty LP's)
The Capitol Albums 1966 - 1970 (7 albums + 1 exclusive US track)
The EMI Albums 1972 - 1979 (4 albums)

These would be great companions to the Singles and Rare collections, but once again it's not my decision!!

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for the explanation. It's always nice to have a few extra minutes of a song.

I'll consider re-purchasing The Singer's Singer. But it doesn't include the song that is very close to replacing my favourite Matt Monro song. (I prepared my top 75 list on the airplane returning from the first Fans Reunited. But it's changed some with The Rare Monro, so I will work on it on the airplane returning from the third Fans Reunited. I want to post it in the forum in reverse order with a dramatic finish to the top 10! I always loved listening to countdown of the top 40.)

Yes, yes, yes, we want the following. All the fans will want this! Please include the original album artwork (with the liner notes in a larger print than the twofers) as well as new notes. If The Late Late Show, These Years, This Is The Life, and Here's To My Lady could also have a vinyl release, all the better. EMI, please listen to us!

The Parlophone Albums 1960 - 1965 (3 albums with Bonus tracks Made exclusively for Liberty LP's)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Just how good would the 2 on 1 Capitol releases be when remastered 8) 8)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 am

You've got me started now!

I (in general) hate the 2 on 1's

Why?

Mono 2nd or 3rd generation tapes, Heavy handed noise reduction (which isn't needed if you use the right tapes) and unforgiveably two albums dubbed from discs (when the masters sit happily in the archives!)

This is why I push to remaster every new release and I have to thank Steve Woof for allowing me to do this and bringing you all the best quality Matt Monro recordings possible.

Richard

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat May 14, 2011 12:56 am

That is the reason why these 2 on 1 releases need remastering Richard :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 am

Richard, you read my mind. I've said it before but this is what I would LOVE!

Return to “The Complete Singles Collection”