Singles Collection.....WELL DONE Richard!!!!

A fantastic remastered 5 disc collection for the discerning collector. This set includes every official A and B side release from Matt's years with Fontana, Decca, EMI, Parlophone and Capitol Records.
hodgo

Singles Collection.....WELL DONE Richard!!!!

Post by hodgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi All

Let me be the first to say Thank You & Well Done to Richard for a fabulous Job on the Singles Collection, I'm just listening to the 2nd disc now having already enjoyed Disc 1.

Great Job Richard :)
Graham :)

The Definition of a Yorkshire Man is a Scotsman With all The Generosity Squeezed Out.

Rmoore

Re: Singles Collection.....WELL DONE Richard!!!!

Post by Rmoore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Glad you're enjoying it - Now all we need is several thousand people to write to EMI saying I need to do more!!

Richard

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:22 pm

You never know, it may turn out to be a thousand or more compliments Richard.
:) :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

We can't give you enough compliments Richard :D :D

Sandra and John

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Rmoore wrote:Glad you're enjoying it - Now all we need is several thousand people to write to EMI saying I need to do more!!

Richard
Richard I've given you a plug over on the Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the "Singles Collection", I'm not sure if it'll help but it's worth a try.

The Definition of a Yorkshire Man is a Scotsman With all The Generosity Squeezed Out.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 pm

That's very kind. Thank-you!

Richard

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

No, Thank You Richard!!

Your work on this collection and the love and care you've put into it is absolutely fabulous!! In this day and age of Brickwalling, compression, excessive noise reduction etc, it's so wonderful and rare to find someone like yourself who actually does the job right. The record industry needs more engineers like your good self.

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:46 am

It is a wonderful collection, love the stereo versions, love the notes against each track, love the cover.

Thanks a mill.

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 pm

hodgo wrote:
Rmoore wrote:Glad you're enjoying it - Now all we need is several thousand people to write to EMI saying I need to do more!!

Richard
Richard I've given you a plug over on the Steve Hoffman Forum thread on the "Singles Collection", I'm not sure if it'll help but it's worth a try.
Oh the embarrassment! I started that thread and got the spelling confused with Scottish 3000 footers. They corrected the thread title, but not my initial post.

I'm finding it very difficult to get beyond disc 2 as I keep going back and listening and relistening. There are too many good tracks.
There's nothing to beat a good 45 rpm single...

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Welcome oxenholme to the Monro Forum.

You are forgiven for making the mistake - everybody did Including EVERY piece of surviving paperwork from EMI between 1959 and 1961!

Glad your enjoying the set - I particularly enjoy the Capitol Material on Disc 3! 'Other People' being a favourite.

Richard

Michele Monro

Amazon Review

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Allen Pollack, who usually reviews for In-Tune Magazine has just sent me his review on the new album which he has also placed on amazon.co.uk

It's hard to realise Matt Monro died twenty-five years ago. Fortunately, he left a superb catalogue of magical recordings that have stood the test of time, with each verifying what a superb singer he was. Thanks to the unstinting efforts of his daughter Michele, together with EMI, there have been many excellent collections released over the years and THE COMPLETE SINGLES COLLECTION is equally welcome. Its expansive 130 song trawl is spread over five discs and covers Matt's entire career with even his early platters from Decca (1956/57) and Philips/Fontana (1958) included, with standards GONE WITH THE WIND, MY OLD FLAME and PRISONER OF LOVE plus pop covers of THE GARDEN OF EDEN and MY HOUSE IS YOUR HOUSE aka MI CASA SU CASA amongst embryonic song choices. Surprisingly, these recordings confirm Matt's vocal style and approach was already mature and merely in need of the polished veneer of further experience he had gained by the time he signed with EMI'S Parlophone label in 1960. His first single, a shuffle-beat LOVE WALKED IN, preceded his initial Chart hit PORTRAIT OF MY LOVE which headed SOFTLY AS I LEAVE YOU, WALK AWAY, YESTERDAY, MY KIND OF GIRL, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, WHY NOT NOW? CAN THIS BE LOVE? among further winners. Whilst film-inspired themes BORN FREE, WEDNESDAY'S CHILD and ON DAYS LIKE THESE may not have been amongst these immediate hits, they slow-burned their way into Matt's popular repertoire and no doubt sold very well over the years.

Being a complete collection of both "A" and "B" side pop singles, there are examples of songs which lack distinction but regardless of the material's worth, Matt never gave less than his very best, with expressive input overcoming any negative factors, so each recording brightly shines as an example of his understanding of lyrics; tenderly applied and totally delivered to reach the emotional heartbeat of the listener. He certainly worked with the best arranger/conductors and Johnnie Spence, Sid Feller, Billy May, and Kenny Clayton were amongst the regulars whilst legendary producer George Martin was on hand as guiding hand in the recording studio for much of Matt's career. Highlights include WHEN I FALL IN LOVE which equals the emotional power of Nat's, whilst MY LOVE AND DEVOTION, SOMEWHERE, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM, TRY TO REMEMBER and FOR MAMA are amongst strong ballads that put Matt ahead of the competition. COME BACK TO ME, GONNA BUILD A MOUNTAIN, HERE AND NOW and ON A CLEAR DAY are contrasting swingers which confirm upbeat tenacity whilst CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER, MAMA PACKED A PICNIC TEA; the dramatic intensity of WHEN YOU BECOME A MAN, country and western flavoured THERE YA GO and banner-waving WE'RE GONNA CHANGE THE WORLD are refreshing oddities to cherish. It would be churlish to ignore Matt's popular Spanish recordings with versions of MY WAY (A MI MANERA), WEDNESDAY'S CHILD (VEN MI AMOUR) and CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF YOU (NO PUEDO QUITAR MIS OJOS DE TI) amongst an included handful, with just L'ETOILE DU SUD representing his French-language output.

Many songs reach CD for the first time and make for exciting listening; others have been remixed to stereo, with included recording dates, catalogue numbers, highest UK/US Chart placings etc. and each disc reflects a different style logo representing Matt's EMI career through the Parlophone, Capitol, and Liberty labels. A typical 45rpm. sleeve image is appropriately utilised as the CD set's cover, leaving Michele Monro's notes to briefly explore personal and professional facets of her father's career and recordings. This is certainly a welcome song-packed anthology that will be an essential purchase for all Matt's devoted fans as well as a "must have" for those who appreciate the enduring vocal talent of this great British singer.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Another great review---although I am still patiently waiting for mine to arrive.
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

What a great review for the the Singles Collection---hope that you receive yours today Marian!

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Richard

Pretty Polly in stereo is majestic.
A real dream come true for me to hear this wonderful song in such a manner.
Many, many thanks.

Gray

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 pm

A superb review, absolutely well deserved. :D :D

Return to “The Complete Singles Collection”