From Russia With Love - which version do you prefer?

A fantastic remastered 5 disc collection for the discerning collector. This set includes every official A and B side release from Matt's years with Fontana, Decca, EMI, Parlophone and Capitol Records.
paul jh

From Russia With Love - which version do you prefer?

Post by paul jh » Sun May 16, 2010 5:07 am

I'm on a long road trip, so I finally have a chance to listen to The Complete Singles Collection. Thus far I've listened to discs 1 and 2. When I got to track 17 of the first disc, I said out loud "thank goodness". Some of those early tracks ... let's just say we have some new songs for the worst recording by Matt thread. But a few of those early are nice, such as Love Walked In and Prisoner of Love.

I don't know if anything is different with My Kind of Girl but it seemed to have a new life; the bass seemed to be more vibrant.

It is absolutely fabulous that My Love and Devotion starts disc 2. And I'm thrilled to finally have The Girl I Love on CD. However this version of From Russia With Love is gonna take time to grow on me. At this point, I much prefer the famous version. Which do all of you prefer?

I'm not sure if the version of When Love Comes Along is the one on The Rare Monro, or the other version. I love both versions of this song.

It is wonderful to have all these singles in chronological order with many rare tracks. I should move on the disc 3, but it's tough to not listen to disc 2 again!

Rmoore

Re: From Russia With Love - which version do you prefer?

Post by Rmoore » Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 am

paul jh wrote:I don't know if anything is different with My Kind of Girl but it seemed to have a new life; the bass seemed to be more vibrant.
Now you understand what remastering from the original tapes can do!

Same recording as ever just a better remaster.

When Love Comes Along is the Original single version whilst the version on Rare Monro is an alternate take.

From Russia is an odd one because this is actually have all versions should be - The Stereo mix that has been issued time and time again is actually the one that's wrong, but that one mistake has carried on for 47 years! There are a number of differences in the single versions pre 1966 some subtle some not - Can you spot them all!

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri May 21, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks for the information, Richard. I guess remastering using the original tapes really does add something.

It is glorious to hear the "new" Impossible Dream. I've been waiting a long time to hear a clean version. Also Pretty Polly is lovely. And We're Gonna Change The Worlds is even more exciting than ever before.

The Spanish Can't Take My Eyes Off You is an automatic skip on The Rare Monro because of the English T's. But I wanted to listen to everything on The Complete Singles Collection. It seems that the orchestra is now louder on TCSC and certain riffss are more noticeable than before. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it does help distract me from the English T's.

Also, on disc 4 I hear an annoying load buzzing on the last two English tracks written by John Barry and Don Black. Is that buzzing supposed to be there? It won't bother me much as these two songs are the pure definition of a B side. I'd rate them 2 on a scale of 10 and that's being generous. I know Don Black had Matt Monro record many of his songs, but he didn't have to waste Matt's talent on duds like these. (I know I'm being harsh, but since it's DB's songs we're talking about ...)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri May 21, 2010 8:01 pm

The version of Can't Take My Eyes Off You is the single version issued in Spain and Argentina as opposed to the alternate take from the UK archives issued on the Rare Monro and elsewhere (Thanks to David Durrett for making me aware of this)

This has a completely different vocal take and therefore a slightly different mix.

The annoying buzz is not a fault (although even Peter Mew who transferd the tape at Abbey Road noted it as such) It's actually the Synth that plays the bass line! Can't agree more about the songs either!

Richard

Return to “The Complete Singles Collection”