New CD - The Greatest

This collection features a selection of Matt Monro's best loved hits. Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the singer's passing, the CD includes the previously unreleased 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again'.
ROBERT M.

New CD - The Greatest

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:12 pm

In the CD of the month article "The Greatest" released next January, it gives This Is the Life, which Matt sings (from the Harveys add) which is absolutely correct...............but it then gives The Impossible Dream (from the Honda add) which Matt does NOT sing (sung by Andy Williams) so is this information misleading ?? :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Re: New CD - The Greatest

Post by Marian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Well spotted Robert, that certainly is misleading. I think that would be one to ask Richard about. :)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:40 am

I don't see it as misleading. The song Impossible Dream WAS featured in the Honda Ad. It may not have been Matt but it was the song.

There is nothing in the listing to say that it was Matt's version so I don't see the problem! It probably won't be listed on the CD that way but the subtitle was added as a reason for it's inclusion.

I notice nobody has spotted the previously unreleased solo version of a song?

What it doesn't say is that all of these recordings are taken from their original master tapes for the first time in many years (some have only previously appear on cd from vinyl dubs) and should sound be quite an upgrade in sound.

The tapes from Abbey Road sound quite incredible - i'm still waiting on the Capitol tracks but expect the same.

Richard

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:54 am

I'm sorry Richard, I wasn't meaning to be critical. Maybe 'misleading' is the wrong word, but I do think it could be confusing to some, especially as Matt is singing on one of the ads and not the other.
The Impossible Dream is such a well known/loved song anyway, so I don't think it really needs to be justified for inclusion on the new CD.
I assumed the words included on the website would be on the CD too, and the general public are so often confused by who is featured on television adverts, there are many queries asking who is singing this or that particular song. :?

I think the previously unreleased single is "The Nearness of You".[OOPS! senior moment :oops: :oops: ]
I'm really looking forward to hearing the improved recordings of all the songs on this CD and the others in the pipeline.
Many thanks as always Richard.
Marian :D
Last edited by Marian on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:27 am

The Nearness Of You is from the Hoagy Carmicheal album and is not previously unreleased -

The track that has never been issued in solo form is "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". This appeared as a duet with Matt Jnr on Matt Sings Monro but has not official been issued as a solo track. It dates from the "We're Gonna Change The World/Close To You" sessions in 1970. I believe that some of you may have heard it before as it has been in collectors circles for a while, but in mono (probably from an acetate).

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:51 pm

I agree with Robert and Marian that this collection shouldn't mention the Honda advert. But clearly the main point of this collection is to sell to a new audience, so including The Impossible Dream may help sales. Plus The Impossible Dream will have a better sound than the previous releases; so that may be worth the premium pricing.

Again, it appears there will be odd transitions (e.g., the quiet ending of I Love You Because to the bombastic intro of Spanish Eyes). I love both of them, but they don't segue well. And why would a "Greatest" collection omit On Days Like These? (This isn't the first time On Days Like These is left off a hits collection.) And why not close with a grand hit instead of I'll Never Fall In Love Again?

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:06 am

Guys, Guys, Guys.

The point of this set is because EMI want to put out a tie in set with the book. This isn't a Greatest Hits set, It's a collection of some of his Greatest recordings and performances - there will be some omisions that's just the way it goes.

You guys are mega fans and this disc isn't aimed at you as such. How it is marketed and what the subtitles are the songs are is actually down to the marketing department at EMI.

The track listing is what it is, who knows, it might not end up in the same order. This is a listing of included songs. It's a compilation to be issued in January and we thought it would be nice to give you guys a bit of advanced news.

I wonder if we will get as much criticism over the singles collection?

Richard

john

Post by john » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 am

To be honest, I think it is quite a good selection of songs, a few of his hits plus some other great album tracks, not the usual "Greatest Hits" collection. And at the end of the day we are also going to have the "Singles" collection around the same time with all the "A" sides and "B" sides" as well, so all the hits are going to be there anyway, so I think this will be a refreshing change.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 pm

:?: Now my question is:

If the title is The Greatest, why can't it be a greatest hits compilation? I don't buy that it's a collection of his greatest performances, because if it were then it would need to have a track listing of 200 songs. And how could the greatest performances hardly include anything from the four Capital recordings? I just don't accept how anyone could include the bland Unchained Melody as one of his greatest performances. Again EMI is obviously going with song title recognition (thus including There's A Kind of Hush over This Is All I Ask).

If it's going to be tied in with the book release, there's even more reason for it to include the greatest hits. Why do all these compilations always have to include some rare track and songs that aren't really associated with Matt Monro? And why must each always omit one of the widely accepted greatest hits? I guess it's all down to making more money and getting people to buy collection after collection to get that one rare song. Let's face it, The Ultimate wasn't the ultimate MM recordings, but a rather odd collection of songs. I know I'm not alone in this opinion as I've read many customer reviews on various websites. It sold because of the TV advertising and widespread availability. The Greatest has the potential to be everything The Ultimate was not. I would love to have a single CD collection, which contains the following that we all would agree are his greatest hits:

Portrait Of My Love
My Love And Devotion
From Russia With Love
Walk Away
Softly As I Leave You
Born Free
Yesterday
My Kind Of Girl
On Days Like These
Why Not Now
For Mama
Around The World
And You Smiled
Without You
If I Never Sing Another Song
This Is The Life
For All We Know
We're Gonna Change The World

...and these universally acknowledged greatest and most stunning performances:

Maria
This Is All I Ask
Fly Me To The Moon
The Shadow Of Your Smile
One Morning In May
Spring Is Here
What To Do

I know I have absolutely no say in anything, but the forum is a place to express our opinions. I'm sure I'll be waiting a long time for my dream Matt Monro collection. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Paul--I am very surprised to see "Maria" in your list of greatest recordings. !!

That is a great list you gave--but it is not going to happen---the simplest way round it, is to get these songs on to your computer--use Itunes or whatever--and hey presto--produce your own personalised cd. I do it all the time!!

If you are unable to do it, give me a shout and I will do it for you !!

Obviously no cover pics or liner notes---but you cannot have everything---at least you will have the music !!
Mariana

john

Post by john » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 pm

I suppose it's due to the fact there have been several "greatest Hits" comilations released in the past with the majority of those tracks you mentioned Paul, for instance "Heartbreakers" and "The Very Best Of". etc, so I suppose it's nice to have a cd with a few of these, plus a select few.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Maria still wouldn't make my top 50 favourites, but I recognise that it is a magical and masterful recording and the mainstream/casual audience needs to hear it --- much more than I Love You Because, Unchained Melody, or The Nearness of You.

I thought that I should make my own CD of Matt Monro favourites, but I wouldn't be able to stop at the list above. For example, I would have to include Ethel Baby, but I don't think that fits on a mainstream TV-advertised release.

John - I never found Heartbreakers in the record shops, so I don't own it. I know that many of these songs are on The Very Best of Matt Monro, but it doesn't include some of the hit singles like And You Smiled and Without You. I have a Dutch compilation that includes those, but it doesn't include We're Gonna Change The World. So you see my dilemma. I just want all the hits and the greatest recordings on one CD (with artwork, liner notes, and chart positions) that I can keep in the car, another for work, and a third copy for home! :D 8)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:34 am

The Greatest - Note NOT Greatest Hits.

It's also a play on words - Matt Monro, The Greatest.......Singer?......Interpreter Of Songs?.......etc - make up your own mind what he was the Greatest of!

Sure it contains a number of hits, but in terms of chart success - at least in the UK - Matt didn't have hundreds to chose from.

If you want ALL the hits these will be on the singles set.

You can not please all of the people all of the time!

Richard

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 am

Paul-I guess the main problem is, that everyone's list of "The Greatest" hits , will be individual-I cannot see that everyone will come up with exactly the same list---so although you rlist would make you happy--it might not please everyone--for instance--I cannot stand the song "Ethel Baby"..
Last edited by mariana44 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

Lee Wilkins

Post by Lee Wilkins » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:44 am

Rmoore wrote:What it doesn't say is that all of these recordings are taken from their original master tapes for the first time in many years (some have only previously appear on cd from vinyl dubs) and should sound be quite an upgrade in sound.

The tapes from Abbey Road sound quite incredible - i'm still waiting on the Capitol tracks but expect the same.

Richard

Hi Richard

You mentioned that all of these recordings are being taken from the original master tapes and I just wondered whether the track Unchained Melody is in stereo on the original master tape? To my knowledge, this track has only ever appeared - at least on CD compilations - in mono.

Return to “The Greatest”