New CD - The Greatest

This collection features a selection of Matt Monro's best loved hits. Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the singer's passing, the CD includes the previously unreleased 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again'.
maureen & harry

Re: New CD - The Greatest

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:15 pm

We received our CD on Friday from HMV. We managed to listen to it over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are listening to "The Nearness of You" as this is being written - bliss!

We love the selection of songs as quite a lot of our favourites are in there. We guess most of you will find yours in there too.

Well done Richard AGAIN :D :D :D :D

Maureen & Harry :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Ours came today, haven't had time to look at it yet, but will play it this evening. :) :)

john

Post by john » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Mine arrived today also. :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm

No sign from Woolies as yet. :(

john

Post by john » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

I have been listening to part of it tonight. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am

Maybe mine will arrive tomorrow ......
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 am

I admit I couldn't resist going to the last song on the Disk ..".I'll Never Fall In Love Again", and after what seemed like a hundred years of Bobby Gentry's monotonous tone on this one, what a complete contrast to hear Matt's smooth easy version. Superb !!! I could get to like the song again now. :)
Even though the songs are all the familiar ones to us, it's a lovely CD, and all beautiful classic songs.
The liner notes as always in these treasures are so informative and we appreciate another addition to our collection, so thanks again Michele, and Richard. We are playing the entire Cd right now. :) :)

jon

Post by jon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 am

I hadn't intended buying The Greatest but it was playing in HMV in Oxford Street yesterday and I was blown away by Matt's version of "There's A Kind of Hush", so I got it. I didn't already have this track or "This Is The Life", so the purchase has been worth it. As to "I'll Never Fall in Love Again", I've never really liked this song much, whoever sings it, but Matt's version could convert me. Haven't seen any of the TV adverts yet.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Mine arrived today--and yes, I know it i's a compilation--but a really lovely selection of songs--plus , of course the new one-looking forward to listening to that later--probably bedtime--busy day today !!
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Mine still on the way :(

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 am

:?: jon, don't you own Matt's sublime 2 on 1 CD These Years/The Late Late Show which contain those two wonderful Matt songs............every Matt fan should own that particular 2 on 1 set.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 am

I think we can discount Woolworths on line from any future purchases. I receved an email today, apologising for the delay admittedly, but going on to say they are still awaiting stock from their suppliers!! So it looks like I will have to wait a while yet. :( :(
I do have another purchase on the way though to tide me over, a promo disc from EMI just in white sleeve for £1.04 on ebay.
:wink:
Marian :D

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Jon -- My question is the same as Robert's. You absolutely must have those 4 Capitol albums (on two CDs) in your collection. Even if you have some of the songs on collections (as I do), it is important to hear them in their original Capitol album order. Besides these are some of the best recordings Matt Monro ever made. Robert mentions the These Years and The Late Late Show CD, but I also love Here's To My Lady and This Is The Life twofer.

Robert -- Just a slight correction and clarification on what you wrote. There's A Kind Of Hush is on the twofer that you mentioned, but This Is The Life is obviously on the other twofer that includes the album This Is The Life. But I think you'll agree with me that Jon needs to have both twofers in his collection.
Last edited by paul jh on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 am

Jeff, it is Capitol :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 am

Original post edited and corrected.

Sorry, we were taught in elementary school that capitol is only used for the building where the US Congress or state legislature meets. My teachers should have mentioned the record label too! :)

Return to “The Greatest”