Cairns

Michele kicks off her mammoth trip on 9th January 2012. Read her roving reports from the High Seas to her journey Down Under. Keeping you up-to-date with all the news as it happens.
Michele Monro

Cairns

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 am

Yorkey's Knob, Cairns is the gateway to North Queensland. Few places on earth can boast such unique natural attractions with the Great Barrier Reef offering an underwater treasure trove of dazzling coral and sea life, and superb World Heritage - listed tropical rainforests within easy reach proudly displaying stunning waterfalls, lush vegetation and diverse wildlife. This is P&Os longest tender at three miles but we were blessed with calm waters and 35 degrees of heat. Even though we sailed in before 7.00am there was a problem with the tannoy system and the gangway, which meant all the tours lft late. This was a great shame considering we had such a short time here. The last tender is at 3.00pm and that meant each tour lost precious time. Unfortunately I'd had to cancel my trip to the Reef but booked the Jungle Train instead.

We were the second tour off the ship and we only just made the train with minutes to spare. The famous Kuranda Scenic Railway is a breathtaking journey comprising unsurpassed views of dense rainforest and steep ravines. The journey took us up to 1076 feet above sea level passing through tunnels, over bridges and past spectacular waterfalls and into the awesome Barron Gorge. All the windows opened so one could capture some of this stunning scenery. Upon arrival in Kuranda, we joined our coach for a brief drive through Kuranda village. The area is the traditional home of the Djabugay people, who know Kuranda as Ngubay – place of platypus. They maintained settlements for thousands of years, making use of the permanent water and abundance of bush food. We arrived at the Rainforestation Park to experience the area from a different perspective, aboard an amphibious World War 11 Army Duck. This is like a massive open-topped jeep, which travels on land and water.

Or captain was brilliant and very funny on the 45 minute journey through the rainforest, pointing out a variety of flora, fauna, bird and water life. Next we visited the nearby Koala and Wildlife Sanctuary where we had uninterrupted views from a series of elevated boardwalks of Australian wildlife including Koalas, crocodiles, wombats, dingoes and wallabies. Apart from having a hug with a koala, which was fabulous but also I had a chance to feed some kangaroos. Because we’d left late, the tour was slightly rushed and before we knew it we were herded back on the bus.

I met up with Andre and Mark at the tender dock and we grabbed a taxi and went to an authentic aborigine centre. Mark (Walker) bought his boomerangs and the biggest didgeridoo he could find and then we went in search of a media player. No luck on that score and there wasn’t the time to try anywhere else because we had to be back on by 3.00pm, not only that but Andre had to get back for his sound check.

I went to see Andre’s final show and it was brilliant, better than the first and I’m glad I made the effort. There weren’t many people at the ‘Party Under the Stars’ but the band were so loud, it drove a lot of us people away, including me. Not only was I knackered but the murder mystery is tomorrow and it is going to be a long day.

Another day at sea and one of my busiest because of the drama group. We started rehearsing at 2.00pm and the afternoon was full on until the performance at 5.15pm. The ship have never done something like this before so we weren’t sure how it would be received but the Globe Theatre was packed, in fact they had to bring on an extra 100 chairs to put on the dance floor. It went very well and my script got quite a few laughs. Surprisingly quite a few people solved the mystery and a good time was had by all. The only thing against us was a Force 6 that started after a rain squall we had at lunchtime. By early evening it had grown to a Force 8 and we were certainly rocking about. I’m thankful I didn’t feel sick but I have to say I didn’t feel 100%.

I had a farewell drink with Andre as he is getting off in Brisbane tomorrow. We did have a reservation in the Ocean Grill for 8.00pm but too many people cancelled because of the weather and sea conditions. A lot of people have the Arcadia cough and Tess has been confined to her cabin for 24 hours with some strange lurgy. It’s incredible how many people have been ill since we left Southampton.

Return to “The Long & Winding Road”