Bora Bora

Michele kicks off her mammoth trip on 9th January 2012. Read her roving reports from the High Seas to her journey Down Under. Keeping you up-to-date with all the news as it happens.
Michele Monro

Bora Bora

Post by Michele Monro » Sat May 05, 2012 6:30 pm

French Polynesia with 260,000 inhabitants is located some 11,250 miles from France and includes 120 islands spread over five archipelagos covering some 1.7 million square miles in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The Society Islands, the largest, is composed of nine high islands and five atolls split into two groups: The Windward Islands (Tahiti, Moorea, Maiao, Tetiaroa and Mehetia) and further west, the Leeward Islands (Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa, Bora Bora, Maupiti, with forgetting the uninhabited islets of Tupai, Mopelia, Silly and Bellingshausen). While Bora Bora remains a favourite destination for thousands of visitors, the “Pearl of the South Seas’ was able to encourage tourism in its neighboring islands.

For many there are few places, if any, in the world whose natural beauty surpasses Bora Bora. Here, nature printed a perfect masterpiece of deep green volcanic peaks edged by a ribbon of reef and glorious white sand beaches. A small island, Toopua, and the islet Toopua Iti proudly stand guard nearby. All of this majesty rises from a spectacular lagoon of jewel-like hues ranging from deep amethyst to light turquoise.

The origin of Bora Bora’s name goes back a long way. Before the European’s arrival the island was called Vavau and also Mai Te Pora, which means ‘risen from darkness’ or ‘created by gods’ according to ancient legends which say this land was the first one to rise from the water. In time. Pora or Popora became Pora Pora, then Bora Bora.

For me Bora Bora’s lagoon is one of the most beautiful in he world. Its shades of blue and string of white-sanded islets are worth its fame. The lagoon is three times larger than its land mass and offers the eye an incomparable range of light and colour. To the southeast of the island is the Coral Garden, an amazing natural underwater park where all sorts of fish are found. Bora Bora’s marine fauna is rich with nearly 700 species of tropical fish including gray, manta and spotted leopard rays, gray sharks and barracuda.

Once again I opted out of one of the ship’s tours, picking instead a 4- wheeled drive jeep safari. Being open-air all seven passengers had a wonderful view as well as a constant warm breeze. Although it was pouring when we anchored at 7.00am, the weather had cleared by the time I took the tender ashore. Our driver Coco talked us through the 22-mile road that surrounds the island. We encompassed all the points of interest, scenic sights and historic landmarks. Our route took us passed magnificent coconut groves and hamlets visiting the main villages of Vaitape, Faanui and Anau as well as the American military shelter and relics from World War 11. We stopped at Anau Lookout to gaze over the coral islets surrounding the island and what a view it was. We also took a break where there were dozens of holes in the sand and Coco threw large green leaves on the ground. Within seconds the area was awash with land crabs fighting each other over the spoils of war. These small creatures were pulling these massive leaves towards their hole and then vanished as quickly as they had come. Apparently they are a big nuisance and if you leave your washing out to dry and it is too low to the ground, the crabs will happily go off with any item they can reach. We also stopped at a naval gun site from the ware and it wasn’t unusual to spot rusting canons within the undergrowth of the mountains. One of my favourite spots was the Sofitel on Marara Beach; the hotel nestles on a private white-sand beach on the edge of the lagoon. It blends rough hewed wood with contemporary style offering an intimate and colourful atmosphere. Best of all they offer 64 luxury bungalows either over the water, on the beach or in their botanical gardens. I could quite happily have stayed a few months here practicing being a beach bum.

Our last stop was at the world famous watering hole Bloody Mary’s, a popular restaurant and bar, where the floor is covered in sand. It was heaving with tourists all with the same idea of making sure they didn’t leave without at least one photo or a hugely over-priced T-shirt, but it had to be done and if time had permitted I would have tried their famed hamburgers. Alas we had to be back on board by 4.30pm and because of the tender it meant leaving earlier than if you only had to walk back on the ship. Unbelievably as soon as I got back on board the heavens opened up again and it bucketed down. We were so lucky because it stopped shortly before sailing allowing me to take all the photos I’d missed taking on the way in this morning. The rain had been so heavy coming into dock that visibility was almost non-existent but someone up above was looking out for me. It was most certainly worthy of being on my Bucket List and I highly recommend a visit to anyone who is considering this destination on their next travels

Lena & Harry Smith

Re: Bora Bora

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for another update Michele. This trip sounded brilliant, and you managed to dodge the rain.
We are doing the same thing here. :roll: :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon May 07, 2012 1:10 am

More dodging the rain tomorrow L&H :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mark porter

Post by mark porter » Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 pm

wow you have covered some miles!!, you will have difficulty in saying , i think il go somewhere different next year!!

karl

Post by karl » Wed May 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Mark I think Michele already has her name down for a trip to the moon! :lol: )

Return to “The Long & Winding Road”