Papeete, Tahiti

Michele kicks off her mammoth trip on 9th January 2012. Read her roving reports from the High Seas to her journey Down Under. Keeping you up-to-date with all the news as it happens.
Michele Monro

Papeete, Tahiti

Post by Michele Monro » Sat May 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Think of any superlative, beautiful, stunning, fabulous, magnificent, spectacular and you’ll just begin the describe Tahiti, that island paradise countless have written of and even more have dreamed about, including me. Part of the Windward Islands, Tahiti makes up more than one quarter of the total surface of French Polynesia and two thirds of the population. Tahiti is actually made up of two islands: Tahiti Nui (Big Tahiti) and Tahiti Iti (Little Tahiti), properly known as the peninsula of Taiarapu. Most of the modern day urbanization has been limited to the larger island, centering in Papeete, the capital as well as Faaa and Pitae. They are all magical worlds so often talked about: high cliffs and cascading waterfalls, dark lava rock, dense forests, breathtaking flora and warm and friendly people.

In the early hours of the morning Sea Princess passed north off Moorea Island and entered the harbour waters of Papeete at 7.00am docking at South Finger Pier Station #3, which was right in the centre of town. Local vendors set up a table in the Atrium so I was able to buy some local stamps. Unusually we were able to spend the evening here as Tahiti’s sister island Moorea, where we’re going tomorrow, can actually be seen across the sea. The forecast had been rain but luckily it was dry when we arrived although overcast. Local musicians came to greet the ship and everyone was in high spirits. I’d booked another jeep outing into the valley and by 8.30am I was boarding the 4-wheeled drive vehicle together with six others. Two other jeeps made up our caravan and we were soon witnessing breathtaking views of the east coast of Tahiti and the Papenoo Valley.

Our first stop was ‘One Tree Hill’ for fabulous views of Matavai Bay. A short coastal dive and we turned inland at the mouth of the Papenoo River to begin an ascent into the interior of the island and its largest valley. The view of the surrounding mountainsides carved by centuries of erosion and covered with rich, thick, multi-green rainforest had my jaw on the floor. It really was spectacular although mere words cannot do it justice. Our adventurous drive crossed rivers, a dam and included photo stops at countless waterfalls. The guide said there were more than a 100 on any given day and every time it rained more were created. What was amazing was the fact that when the rain stopped some of the falls would dry up in around thirty minutes. An hour into the trip, the top of the mountains were covered in mist and cloud, and it didn’t take long for the heavens to open. It was such a shame especially as it meant the highly anticipated swim in one of the natural falls had to be abandoned. Our last stop was a panoramic viewpoint for refreshments and rain or no rain it didn’t stop my camera from coming out. We retraced our journey down the valley, which meant crossing the dam again; it really was an Indiana Jones moment. Because we were ahead of time because of the cancelled swim we paused at the famous surfing and black sand beaches of Port Venus. I have never actually seen black sand before and it was fascinating. I would have liked to have spent some more time there but we had to get back as the tour company had another group to take out at 1.15pm. Once we’d left the rainforest area the rain stopped so I was slightly envious of those going out next but then I found out hat it hadn’t rained by the port at all so it’s possible it was still raining in the interior – that made me feel better.

Having got back to the ship, I showered and changed ready for my second outing of the day. I’d arranged to meet Tom at 2.00pm so we could explore the town. Right outside the port gates, the locals had set up a market in the open-air visitors information centre and it was terrific. As well as all the local wares and a million black pearls, famous in the South Pacific, they also had a Polynesian dance display with stunningly beautiful girls scantily clad shaking their bodies. What made me laugh myself silly was that over their boobs they wore a coconut bra, which they were also selling in the market. Well all I can say is that no one over a 30 cup could possibly wear one, and we had a good look for one but it would see that it’s a hard ask to find a 34c coconut tree!! The market was wonderfully colourful not just because of the hundreds of multi-hued sarongs but the area was also bedecked out with local flowers, which looked and smelt gorgeous.

Tom and I roamed the streets of downtown Papeete including the local market, which spanned a block. It sold everything from woodcarvings to coconut body lotions, flowers and fish. I had to hunt out the local MacDonald’s as I’ve taken a photo of Mickey Dees in every port I’ve been in. It’s sort of become a silly challenge. It was a very packed-out large outlet, which surprised me being that the island isn’t that big. We found the local shopping mall and I was shocked by how expensive everything was, but we were told that nearly everything on the island had to be imported in. Even so one pair of leather thong sandals was over $300 making it more expensive that Australia or England.

We got back to the ship at around 6.00m and I was so hungry that I devoured the first thing I found on the buffet table. I had plans to watch the folkloric presentation ‘O Tahiti E’, which started at 7.45pm but I suddenly couldn’t keep my eyes open, almost falling asleep mid-conversation with Tom. I thought I’d be able to walk it off but by the time I got back to the cabin I was fit for nothing and it was only 8.20pm. I don’t remember anything after I laid my head on the pillow, not eve the sailaway at 4.00am – Sparko.

Lena & Harry Smith

Re: Papeete, Tahiti

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun May 06, 2012 7:55 am

Another interesting story of your journey Michele, particularly about the waterfalls, and how they can dry up so quickly.
Your description of the scenery sounds amazing. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Tahiti has always sounded a magical place to me--it is reassuring to know that it is as magical as I had always imagined.
Mariana

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm

These wonderful places you describe Michele must be a dream come true. It's good to know that you are enjoying it all so much and the memories will stay with you forever. :D :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I have only just caught up with the last travel updates Michele. As wonderful as ever! I hope you won't be preparing a quiz for us when you return home though!!!! LOL :lol:

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 am

On this weeks Midweek Drive programme on Siren FM Alex Lewczuk was hoping to speak 'live' to Michele instead of playing the pre-recorded tune and message that she left behind for playing every week.
Alex phoned the house that she is staying at but Michele was in bed asleep so obviously they wouldn't wake her up :)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri May 25, 2012 10:06 am

Michele can not currently get internet access so had no idea Alex wanted to speak to her!

Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

The last three pre- recordings Michele left for Siren will feature material from Matt Uncovered so don't miss them!

(Release date STILL not confirmed i'm afraid!)

Richard

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Never mind Richard, we don't mind waiting.
Perhaps meantime we could all have a guess at the date and see who gets the nearest. :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 am

December 1st ....................... :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun May 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Don't Joke!

If the legal wranglings don't get sorted soon it might be!

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I'll try..... 5th August, although I guess Robert's date was only meant as a joke :lol:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 am

I'll guess the 8th of August ....only because it's my nieces Silver Wedding Anniversary. :)
Hope Robert is Joking and not secretly given up on it altogrther :?

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I think all the legal stuff was finished today - So hopefully will have a release date very soon!

Richard

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed May 30, 2012 1:31 am

I'll revise my guess then to July 16th :) .............L&H, I would never give up on a MM release, especially a release full of new material :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Stop press date -- 23rd July from Michele live on Siren :D

No new track as yet though.We had THE LADY SMILES and MY KIND OF GIRL.

A great interview including the news that the unabridged version of the paperbacks review just released over there was
'probably the best music biography ever written'.

Michele talked about the wonderful places she had been and the people she had met.

Also while eating at a famous restaurant called SPARGOS,at the next table was Sidney Poitier and Larry King.She also spoke to BURT BACHARACH.
She had missed GEORGE CLOONEY he had been in a previous night :(

Michele is waiting for the film script from the Australian company who want to do a movie/biopic on Matt. :D

Richard is on Siren next week :D

Return to “The Long & Winding Road”