Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro - Date Set

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
Rmoore

Re: Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro - Date Set

Post by Rmoore » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:55 pm

LindyG wrote: An alternate version of "No One Will Ever Know", Mike?

The one we already have is a MASTERPIECE.
Now two?
Oh Boy!

I wish the Whole World could hear either version.
Yes this version is breathtaking! It's Matt and Johnnie Spence on piano only. George Martin's favorite Matt Monro recording.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 pm

That track certainly stood out on a first listen to the new CDs.

karl

Post by karl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Nice surprise when Matt dropped through my door today, didn't expect the cd until Friday.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Mine arrived too-just as I was on my way out--it will be tonight before I can listen to it.
Mariana

karl

Post by karl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm

I've listened to most of disc one and it gets better with every song, I also read the sleeves notes which are very interesting.

I can understand how all the AVID Matt fans are feeling with such unreleased gems, I felt the same when we finally got Dusty's rare tracks that had also lain in a vault for 30 years and we never knew such tracks existed.

I know almost all the songs and was trying to remember who sang Everything I Have Is Yours and it was Billy Eckstine.

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:56 pm

I got my copy last week - sorry to rub it in and I have to say it is just wonderful. After all the work that Richard and I have put into this project it is sheer joy to see it finally (thanks Universal) come to fruition. My favourites will always be 'My Funny Valentine' and the Spanish version of 'Maria'. In fact every time I listen to it the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. To my mind (she's my kind... sorry wrong thread...) it is sheer perfection. I often think, bearing in mind that dad was singing better than ever at the Barbican, one of his last concerts , just how much better his voice could have become. By the same token the experimental tracks done 60 odd years ago are breathtaking in their clarity and perfection - mind you I am biased. This will surely go down as being one of the best albums out of the EMI catalogue.

I have to thank my right hand man Richard for all the blood, sweat and tears that he sweated while he laboured over this offering and of course just when he thought he was nearing the finish line, Michele would invariably come up with 'what if....' and off Richard would go back to the drawing board to change the running order or some such last minute whim. It is a shame about the Decca track and it irks me that this release was surely the right stage in which to release it but you can't fight city hall. It got to the point where I was worried about the imminent sale of the company because for all I know Universal might come in and sweep everything onto a shelf and it might never have seen a release. So bearing that in mind I am satisfied with my lot.

I truly hope you enjoy this latest box of exquisiteness and please take the time to leave a review. It doesn't matter if someone else has already commented on a specific track, I want to hear YOUR opinion.

You might also be interested to know that Richard and I both wrote to the person who uploaded the tracks to YouTube and they have now been removed. I am getting tougher in my old age and am now going to report any copyright infringement I spot. Enough is enough. I was devastated to see the tracks up there and while I was watching it was obvious that the gentleman in question was in the middle of uploading even more of the album. As I've said before it isn't about money and making people buy the product it is about preserving Matt Monro as a saleable commodity so that Richard and I can continue to work on great new ideas in the future.

All that is left then is for you all to turn the stereo on and listen to the dulcet tones of Mr Matt Monro.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Perhaps an answer to the Youtube problem might be to officially upload a video to promote the album featuring a selection of snippets of tracks.

The album is now on Spotify for anyone waiting for their copy and wanting a listen.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 am

Mine arrived today (Wednesday) :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 am

Rmoore wrote:
LindyG wrote: An alternate version of "No One Will Ever Know", Mike?

The one we already have is a MASTERPIECE.
Now two?
Oh Boy!

I wish the Whole World could hear either version.
Yes this version is breathtaking! It's Matt and Johnnie Spence on piano only. George Martin's favorite Matt Monro recording.
Thank you Richard! I believe you that it's breathtaking. What treasure, just Matt and Johnnie together!
Thank you to you and Michele for all of your work on this and I can't wait to hear this song and all of the music.
John said that my much longed for "Old Devil Moon" is jazzy and I just love whenever Matt jazzes. :D :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Ours arrived today. Thursday :) :)

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”