Matt Uncovered - The Rarer Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
LindyG

Re: Matt Uncovered - The Rarer Monro

Post by LindyG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Eman wrote:Lindy, yeah we have a quite a few record stores, however "Record City" is the main one I go to every Saturday or Friday when I'm not working. The Saturday crowd is the same bunch of guys with some newbies looking for some classic rock records to play on their ION turntables. LOL. I'd describe it as a little shop and it's like the movie "High Fidelity" and "Empire Records" but the staff is friendlier. There's this one store that I don't go to called "Taaaangg" because that's the record store where the "heads" and "freaks" go and all they sell are Marilyn Manson type records and "bongs" behind the counter..plus their records are trashed and overpriced. There's a really good shop in L.A. called "Amoeba" and they have one in San Francisco also.
Yay for California, Eman, hanging on to some of our better days. I bet there are more Matt lovers in CA, too, than any other state. Not only because of the large population of Philipines immigrants and their families, but because Californians have always appreciated good music and performance. If only one could afford to live in San Fran, that'd be my pick among CA cities. Thanks Eman, I'm glad you have that experience there in San Diego. (Marilyn Manson was correct, though, when he said that football in our culture trains American males to be aggressive and violent and vulgar...and he said that long before "Penn State" became known to the public. :cry: )

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 am

Lindy - I agree with what you wrote about the loss of the record stores in the US. We have a few in the Washington area, but most sell used records and rock/R&B primarily. I would love to have an Amoeba here, but they probably fit better in Califormia. It's a cool scene in Amoeba. I miss Tower Records every day and it still hurts to drive past their former locations.

Eman -- that's great that you can order your copy of Matt Uncovered from a record store. I'm jealous. Also ROFL about your Dad's record collection disappearing the day you were born.

Henry -- that's true that we have gone off topic. We often do that. There's a special section for comments on Matt Uncovered, so let's put all our future comments on the release there and not in Site News.

Eman

Post by Eman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 am

Paul, yeah, it's a really cool scene every Saturday when I'm down there. We talk about music from every genre. Graham could be playing a punk record, then next a classical one and everyone just grooves to it. Yesterday we were talking about the new Bronski Beat and Communards reissue cds.

karl

Post by karl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:30 pm

A friend of mine used to have a 'proper' record store and I loved helping out there many times.

Growing up in the 60's we had many great record stores but they've all gone. There is nothing like or I should say there was nothing like browsing in a great record store.

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi All,
Amazon messaged me this morning that my copies of Matt Uncovered will be delivered to me between Aug 20 and 23, changing their earlier estimate of Aug 27 to 31.
Oh boy!

How much earlier will everyone in the UK get it?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Lindy--I think some of us are hoping to receive it tonmorrow--if not within the next day or two---Amazon are usually very prompt.

I can guarantee you will hear all about it !!
Last edited by mariana44 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Mariana, yeah looking forward to everyone's reviews on the cd. I'm sure it's gonna be ace. I think my Dad is more excited than I am. :lol:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Amazon UK e-mailed me today that the disc(s) had been posted to me today - yippee!

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 am

This is almost like waiting for the Golden Ticket.
But better, because we all get one!

I just made a movie of summer vacation photos to send to my sister as a keepsake of our vacation.
Matt does two of the numbers in the soundtrack:
"Precious Moments" and "Memories of You"
Good thing I love his singing so much, I had to play the movie over and over again over the past two days while editing and making sure the soundtrack and certain clips were synched. Even after the repetitions, he's still PERFECT. :D

Memories of You, isn't that just one of the most sophisticated records ever recorded?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 am

We have mentioned Amazon emails on the "official" The Rarer Monro Page ..............if you scroll further down :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 am

LindyG wrote:
Memories of You, isn't that just one of the most sophisticated records ever recorded?
Yes it sure is Lindy :)

john

Post by john » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:45 pm

I love "Precious Moments", Lindy, I remember I first heard it it on the film "The Sea Wolves", many years ago, probably when I was in my mid teens, it must have been on the TV, and remember remarking to my Mum about what a nice song it was, and my Mum replied, ah yes, Matt Monro, he was a lovely singer. :D "Memories Of You" is another super one too.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 am

LindyG wrote:
ROBERT M. wrote:Lindy, do you own Matt singing Maria on CD ? ...............on CD the breathtaking ending sound's even better :) :)
Oh, Robert, I have Maria on "Matt at the Movies", but I thought his live performance on Matt Sings Monro on BBC was greater!
I played Matt singing Maria on DVD today, and it was brilliant, but the ending seemed rushed. Matt just start's his long breathtaking final note when the orchestra comes in a little too early, and Matt has to change key quickly to match up with them..............well I thought so anyway :wink:

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 am

john wrote:I love "Precious Moments", Lindy, I remember I first heard it it on the film "The Sea Wolves", many years ago, probably when I was in my mid teens, it must have been on the TV, and remember remarking to my Mum about what a nice song it was, and my Mum replied, ah yes, Matt Monro, he was a lovely singer. :D "Memories Of You" is another super one too.
What's this, John? There's another movie I didn't know about in which Matt's singing is featured? Matt's recording is played in "Sea Wolves"?? :o

THANK YOU!

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 am

ROBERT M. wrote:
LindyG wrote:
ROBERT M. wrote:Lindy, do you own Matt singing Maria on CD ? ...............on CD the breathtaking ending sound's even better :) :)
Oh, Robert, I have Maria on "Matt at the Movies", but I thought his live performance on Matt Sings Monro on BBC was greater!
I played Matt singing Maria on DVD today, and it was brilliant, but the ending seemed rushed. Matt just start's his long breathtaking final note when the orchestra comes in a little too early, and Matt has to change key quickly to match up with them..............well I thought so anyway :wink:
Hi Robert,
You might be correct from a musicologist perspective (are you a music teacher or other professional musician, Robert?).
I will compare the CD and DVD "Maria"s again. Maybe it's just that Matt is so darn adorable in the live performance that I am not objectively critical. Maybe? :wink:
Nah. He's just PERFECT.
Robert, did you receive your "Rarer" yet??

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”