Matt Uncovered - The Rarer Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
LindyG

Re: Matt Uncovered - The Rarer Monro

Post by LindyG » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Don Cooper wrote:LindyG! Just as well you are really Mr.Bean in disguise, because 'saying' "F-something" here in Blighty might be construed a bit 'Apple-Stewed' :shock:
(Ask Lena and Harry 'bout that one) :)

((I know you meant F-*Sweet* 16. I recommend toasting an English Muffin at the Afterburner as it screams overhead...)) 8)

Don
Hi Don, :)
Well, actually, there are MANY F-somethings among America's warcraft. Which is why I wouldn't presume to know which ones are terrorizing every creature in my neighborhood and bombarding us with noxious fumes.

Here are some:
F-1 Fury
F-2 Banshee
F-3 Demon
F-4 Phantom
F-5 Freedom Fighter ( and F-5E Tiger 2)
F-6 Skyray
F-7 Cutlass
F-8 Crusader
F-9 Panther/ Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
F-12 ( YF-12 prototype, never went into service )
F-13 ( never used for obvious reasons )
F-14 Tomcat
F-15 Eagle ( and F-15E Strike Eagle )
F-16 Fighting Falcon
F-17 ( YF-17 prototype which lost to the YF-16 )
F-18 Hornet ( AF-18 and AF-18E Super Hornet )
F-19 ( reported as some "stealth" prototype which never entered production, or did it ? )
F-20 Tigershark ( upgraded F-5E Tiger which never entered service )
F-21 Kfir ( Israeli - modified Mirage-3 used for a while by aggressor squadrons )
F-22 Raptor
F-23 ( prototype Yf-23 which lost to YF-22 )
F-35 Lightning 2 ( aka JSF )

All I know is, they don't make beautiful music and they certainly drive a hardworking person out of their "home" on a weekend when they need some rest after working hard all week. Of course, they never do this over the estates of the wealthy who profit from the warmakers.

Thank goodness for life's better human beings: From whom, for example, I've heard most of Rarer Matt disc 2 today but will need to hear it all again with no distractions/driving among Colorado's common sense challenged. So far I REALLY LOVE ESPECIALLY:

Once In Every Long and Lonely While
Let's Find an Island
The World I Used to Know
You're Driving Me Crazy/The Song Is You
You'll Never Know
What Is This Thing Called Love?

More THANK YOUs to Michele and Richard for your excellent important work in bringing us these beautiful recordings! Thanks for keeping Matt's intros in some of these. I just love to hear him speak and then sing. An absolute One-in-a-BUZZILLION especially exquisite human being, our Matt! :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:14 am

Hi Don, we are familiar with the cockney rhyming ( apple stewed,,, rude, mainly through family interest in music going back over the decades, although a true cockney is born within the sound of Bow Bells. ( no envy there, we've heard that racket ) :wink:
and the Fsomethings have been plaguing us for the past three months or more, but not up in the sky like Lindy's. We've got demolition of buildings going on, neighbours burst water pipes being repaired, followed by a gas leak at the foot of our building that was repaired ( and no surprise, the gas leak appears to be somewhere else but they don't know where yet) :roll: :roll:( so if you don't see any posts from us ..... :D :D
Talk about "Peaceful Street " (now there's an old song) :D but I'm relaxing at last ........ Ohh Matt's just singing "A Few Tender Words" :)

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks to these two albums a classic session from 1961 is now released in full. During One Night, Everything Is Nothing Without You , No One Will Ever Know, The Wrong Time ( It's Alright With me) and There Are No Words For Love are examples of all too rare small group recordings by Matt.

I've burned the tracks on to a disc in the order they were recorded ,as per the session sheet reproduced in the sessionography with Michele's book. During One Night was always a highlight , for me , from the 'Rare' album. To hear more from that session is a just such a joy. As Michelle tells in the book the late night recording in May '61 was an experiment by George Martin. He let Matt 'n co., including Johnny Spence on piano, have a meal , have a few drinks and then go into Studio 3 in Abbey Road to make a relaxed, intimate trio recording. To present day ears it sounds glorious. Matt's rich tones have a earthiness that seem all the more engaging for the occasional wobble that the drinks and smokes caused.

That, as also told in the book, was judged to be unacceptable at the time. No One Will Ever Know and There Are No Words For Love would go on to get marvelous 'fuller' versions for the subsequent album but the rest would vanish. Of these lost songs one is particularly interesting. Everything Is Nothing Without You is by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Interestingly it seems to have been the only recording made of this song. The various Bacharach/David databases only ever mention it as having dated from 1963. How, then, did it end up at a recording session in London in 1961? It's a chorus free song. Three verses , a over a minute long piano solo by Johnny and then a repeat of the third verse.

It's a session that repays a lot of listening. I''m enjoying many other tracks on Rarer and hope to to comment more about them. For the moment , though, I'm just so delighted that this '61 session is finally 'out there' - thanks to all concerned.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 am

That is interesting John, thank you :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi John,

Yes it is a fantastic session, and I have been lucky to hear most of the original tape, including the other unreleased takes. I only wish that they had stuck with it an made the whole album - I'm sure it would have been considered a classic today.

I suspect had Michele know about the whole session then more would have been issued on the Rare Monro, but at that point nobody realized from the basic library listings that the two piano recordings of No One Will Ever know and There Are No Words For Love were not just duplicate tapes of the orchestral versions. The first we knew of the piano version of No One Will Ever Know was when it was issued on a very limited CD with a very expensive George Martin book - it was taken from an acetate and was just thought to have been a demo.

It was only when I got my hands on all of the session paperwork and detailed tape library listings that we found out where it was from and that there was more!

Glad your enjoying the CD's!

Richard

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks Richard!

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I'll be picking this up as soon as I move in to my new uni house this week, amazing price on amazon at the moment can't believe it! Needless to say I'm very excited to hear what this new release has to offer.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:02 am

My copy arrived yesterday! Unfortunatley have not had a chance to listen but have read Michele's once again excellent (when are they not?) notes on the album. Needless to say it has made me even more excited to hear this important and thrilling release. The sheer ammount of new music on it is such a treat can't wait to give it a proper listen!

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”