The Rarer Monro reviews

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
Sandra

Re: The Rarer Monro reviews

Post by Sandra » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:20 am

What a great review Lindy :D :D

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 pm

If we were to describe how much we have enjoyed listening to The Rarer Monro we would run out of adjectives.

We agree with all the great reviews the members have written and would like to extend our warmest personal thanks to Michele & Richard for bringing this superb collection to the fans old and new of Matt Monro.

We have said before on this forum how wonderful modern technology is because it enables us to listen with such clarity to tracks which were recorded more than over half a century ago thanks to the expertise of Richard.

Amongst our particular favourites (of which there are so many) these are as follows:-

1. I Apologise
2. I've Got You Under My Skin
3. My Funny Valentine
4. In Time
5. The Folks Who Live On The Hill
6. Maria
7. I Suddenly

etc....etc....etc.....

:D :D :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

To me, this wonderful cd collection is comparable to an overflowing jewellery casket, filled to the brim with diamonds, rubies and other precious stones. Every time I go into it, I find another Gem that I had not realised was there.

So many songs on there that I never thought to hear sung by Matt are given the “Monro” touch. My personal top 3 are “The folks who live on the Hill” “Younger than Springtime” “I’ll be around”—but a difficult choice with “My funny Valentine” “You’ll never know” “ It’s only a paper Moon” “Old Devil Moon” also in contention. Not to mention some of the less well known songs which all deserve their place on this double cd.

I am confident that there are more hidden treasures out there somewhere, and equally confident that Michele and Richard , with their usual dedicated hard work will bring them to us one day.
Last edited by mariana44 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

karl

Post by karl » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Marian keep up that standard of writing and you could make a fortune girl!!!!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 pm

O.K. So many listens so many gems as you say Marian,and so many favourites.

CD1. Everything I Have Is Yours. Great orchestra and live performance of I've Got The World On A String.You're Sensational.The early simplicity of I'll Be Around.The unheard In Time.His glorious version of It Can't Be Wrong. The Top Pop Club tracks(I think I remember them in Woolworths)
No One Will Ever Know. The so beautiful, A Few Tender Words,what a hit that would have been.

CD2.Once In Every Long And Lonely While. The Song For Europe tracks always our favourite EP at the time.The lovely unreleased The World I Used To Know.The Spanish Maria with the fascinating 'ghost' in the background.If You Go.Loving You Again.More simplicity with Time To Go.
Oh My Child.How Can I Live Without Your Love.One Last Try with such a superb guitar accompaniment.Rough or not this a great track.Finally the BBC radio shows particularly,You Came Along From Out Of Nowhere,I Apologise,You'll Never Know and Day By Day.

john

Post by john » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice choices Sandra and John, I am in full agreement with you. :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks John what a fabulous album :D

hpooch

Post by hpooch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:14 am

I finally received my "Matt Uncovered" CD on Saturday by way of Hong Kong! I heard it all the way through in the last 2 days.
I initially thought the first two tracks were somewhat "Tinny" especially the back-up band...Maybe I had too much treble!
After that the rest of this CD outshone the original "The Rare Monro", but both are outstanding! Congrats to Michele & Richard!
My Favorites on Disc 1 are similar to Sandra's, but "My Funny Valentine" & "No One Will Ever Know" were the very best!
On Disc 2, I feel the song "How Can I Live Without Your Love" would have been a big hit if it was released as a single.
Also "If You Go" was very enjoyable, plus the songs from Matt's Radio Shows starting with "Out of Nowhere" & ending with "Younger
Than Springtime". It's a shame the BBC did not archive these programs. A sleeper from this CD set is "Oh My Child" - Simply Beautiful!
Hopefully we will have a third "The Rarest Matt" CD in 5 years as I am sure Richard will excel in cleaning up any discovered treasures.
And Michele will find more of her Dad's hidden recordings somewhere in her worldly travels in the near future....I wish you good luck!
Henry H Puccinelli

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks for your review - The first three tracks on the album are from disc - two of which (I Hear Music and I Suddenly) are somewhat worn acetates but the sound you hear is the sound that was recorded and certainly not to normal studio standards - little demo studios in the 50's weren't exactly high tech, but I wouldn't go as far as to say tinny!

However I must say that track 2 - Strange Lady in Town which is from a shellac 78rpm disc is in NO WAY tinny. It sounds pretty close to the (now lost) master tape and sounds pretty warm to me.

What do others think?

Richard

Eman

Post by Eman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Well I have to say those first three tracks were for me were just ok sound wise although the performances were awesome. My folks are really loving this cd, and I guess their favourite song would have to be "My Funny Valentine". constant repeat!! They also love the Spanish version of "Maria". Me I love the whole thing and downloaded it on to my Ipod and listen to it while I'm at the gym on the treadmill. While everyone has their music, I'm working out to Matt!!

hpooch

Post by hpooch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 am

Richard, I've heard Disc 1 for the second time & I adjusted the treble on my car CD which is a Bose 8 speaker unit.
I used the wrong word "Tinny", but I should have described the sound as "Flat" or "Mono" and as you state this is the
best possible sound that you can get from acetate discs in the 50s on tracks 1,2&3....It was really my "Tin" ear!
Maybe somewhere there will be somebody who copied those Matt Monro BBC Radio Shows & if they ever turn up, they
would make a wonderful CD with a sound as good as was in the "Matt at the BBC" from 1961-1963 broadcasts.
Richard, maybe you can find a living BBC former sound engineer that taped some of Matt's Shows for his personal use,
and I am sure you could make them sound as great as you have done with "The Rarer Monro" CD.
Henry H Puccinelli

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am

We have actually advertised in the BBC staff magazines for exactly that reason - This is how we found the Stereo Tests. It amazes me that as Matt had such a big following at the time he made the radio show (and because it included a lot of very famous guests too) that no other copies of the show have yet turned up. We must be thankful that Matt saved a few shows himself (although all are missing the beginning and end).

I can't help thinking that someone somewhere recorded it, so maybe someday! But there are so many things we'd like to find, like the Royal Variety of 1966 The 1969 Talk Of the Town show etc. Interestingly, more and more bits of footage of the Eurovision 1964 are slowly being found - for instance the winning entry has turned up recently. We have had newsreel footage of the winner for a long time, but recently a clip of the actual broadcast version appeared on you tube having been rebroadcast in a European country. Efforts are being made to find where and to see if they have the complete show including Matt's performance, finger's crossed!

Going back to the radio show, you may be interested to know that more performances are available from the show. Some appeared on the Rare Monro and others appear on the compilation 'Born Free' on the 'Performance' label :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S4DOCM/ ... XCC3F52EYM&

Richard

mike

Post by mike » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 am

You can usually find Born Free in your local garden centre at £3.99

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 pm

:lol:

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 am

This makes me happy. :D I just received this message below from Amazon. I hope somebody bought it and is soon to be as ecstatically enjoying it as we all are.

UnluckyLindy, a customer just told us your review was helpful to them while shopping on Amazon.

Matt Uncovered
Rarest Exquisiteness
August 26, 2012

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”