The Rarer Monro reviews

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
LindyG

Re: The Rarer Monro reviews

Post by LindyG » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:48 am

Thank you Lena and Harry for your beautiful reviews.

I may say nothing more than this:
I have just heard Johnie and Matt performing George's "No One Will Ever Know".
It is the most beautiful recording of music I have ever heard. In my Life.
I cried.
Then I listened to it again.
And I cried.

I have never had an experience like that.

Thank you, Richard and Michele.
It is even more exquisite than the version that was previously released.
Thank you so much for making it possible for me to hear Matt and johnnie perform this.
I feel sorry for everyone who won't hear this.

hpooch

Post by hpooch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 am

I still haven't received "The Rarer Matt" from WOW-HD, but I did get Judith Durham's new reissued CD 6 days ago and it was worth waiting for!
Matt's CD was supposedly shipped on Tuesday, but I am still waiting. I should have ordered it from Amazon.com
Henry H Puccinelli

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you Karl, Sandra, Marian and Lindy.
One could so easily comment on every track, but we agree " No One Will Ever Know" is absolutely beautiful and as Michele states in the liner notes, the piano recording of this song was George Martin's all time favourite. :) :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:29 am

:?: Is there a mistake in this review on Amazon :wink:

Matt Monro is the finest singer Britain has ever had - the only male vocalist who could equal the high standard of the American vocalists. This collection from his daughter Michele is absolutely superb in every way. Like the previous collection of "Rarer Monro" she has unearthed alternative takes,unreleased tracks, radio and TV slots and some TV jingles. For me the whole set of 66 tracks is worth buying for just one track. Michele has included a piano only version of "There Are No Words For Love" - in her notes she says that George Martin has been reported as saying this is his most favourite of Matt's recordings. How right he is - this version is outstanding, Matt's voice and interpretation is second to none. Thank you Michele Monro for the tremendous work you do to keep the memory of your father alive - he is truly a great singer and an inspiration all music lovers.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 am

Robert, the piano version of "No one Will Ever Know" was the song that Michele referred to as being George Martin's all time favourite. Unfortunate mistake, but the reviewer was being sincere in adding comments.
Last edited by Lena & Harry Smith on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:21 am

A great review on Amazon Marian :) :)

karl

Post by karl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 am

Robert do you mean the review is saying it was an Instrumental version with no vocal? If so they obviously did not proof read it!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 am

All great reviews on Amazon particularly from a John,a Marian and a Harry :wink: :wink:

karl

Post by karl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 am

Good to see more reviews especially from the MM site!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am

No, They got the wrong song Karl, They said 'There are no words for love' is George Martin's favorite Matt recording.

karl

Post by karl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the explanation Richard, I am not that knowledgeable on Matt to see such a mistake but they always seem to get something wrong on reviews don't they?
Last edited by karl on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Well, I got on Amazon U.S. this Sunday morning to see if there are any reviews yet. Nope, there weren't, so I've just put mine on. It's now on Amazon U.S.

Rarest Exquisiteness,
August 26, 2012
By UnluckyLindy
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: Matt Uncovered (Audio CD)
I was already over the moon about Matt Monro, convinced for decades that he possessed and shared the greatest vocal and performance talents in the history of popular music. Not long ago I was fortunate to discover the new "The Rare Monro" compilation of previously unreleased gems from Matt, thanks to Matt's daughter Michele, and Richard Moore who provided his audio restoration expertise to deliver beautiful recordings from old tapes and acetates. The result was wondrous!
Now, they've done it again, and then some!! This new compilation, "Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro" is even greater! As one who is compelled to purchase every bit of audio and video possible from the Incomparably Magnificent Voice, I am amazed that so many beautiful previously unreleased and alternate versions of previously released recordings are on this compilation. Here are just two examples:
"No One Will Ever Know", composed by Sir George Martin, performed by Johnnie Spence on piano and Matt singing in a late night session, IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL RECORDING I HAVE EVER HEARD. It brought me to tears in appreciation of this perfection.
"Once In Every Long And Lonely While" features Matt beginning the song without accompaniment. His voice is so pure and perfect, I wish he had recorded more songs without accompaniment. This compilation is FULL of perfection: 66 recordings. I think the word is getting out fast, the price has already gone up since I purchased my copies from Amazon. No wonder. Never has this world needed more the soul-satisfying tones of this rarest artist. I'm so thrilled to have my copy! Before I finish, here are more of my NEW FAVORITES from Matt, delivered on this compilation: "I've Got the World On a String", "You're Sensational" (better than Frank's), "You Make Me Feel So Young", "What Makes the Sunset?" a young version of "Birth of the Blues" (again, better than one I've heard from Frank), "I Suddenly", and "I Hear Music". It just doesn't get better than this. Correction: It doesn't get as good as this, unless it's from Matt Monro.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Great review Lindy--hope it attracts some more fans in US to appreciate Matt's music.

I am still working on mine, various problems stopping me , but I will get there.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm

That really is a great review Lindy. Have just seen it and for those in the U.S. who are already familiar with Matt's music, and for those who are less aware, we are certain that your complimentary description of the contents on The Rarer Monro will go a long way to encourage people to want to buy it. :) :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:11 am

Great review Lindy :D ...........but why call yourself Unlucky Lindy ?

I also saw your lovely review of The Singers Singer too :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”