The Rarer Monro reviews

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
john

The Rarer Monro reviews

Post by john » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 am

I have started a new thread for this, hope Michele doesn't mind. :)

Well, I started with disc 2, the main reason is that 2 songs that were played at the 2nd Fans Reunited in 2007 are on this disc, "Time To Go" and "Oh My Child" and couldn't wait until I heard these again, well, I had to wait 5 years I suppose :D :D but so worth the wait. Outstanding! Also I love "one Last Try" and "The World I Used To Know", and it is so great to hear the full english version of "If You Go Away", plus another 2 tracks from the Alguien Canto Lp also recorded in english. Another brilliant track is "How Can I Live Without Your Love". Also an alternative version of "Didn't We", which I actually prefer to the LP version, I think this is the version used on Matt Jnr's duet album. Very nice to have"Ten Out Of Ten", "Choose" and "Beautiful Beautiful" in prestige form from the "Song For Europe" ep as well. Super spanish versions of "Maria" and "For Once In My Life", and really enjoyed the songs from the 1961 radio shows. The alternative version of "Once In Every Long and Lonely While" is lovely too, always loved this song. Alternative versions of the lovely "Two People" and "Pretty Polly" are also included, forgot to mention "Let's Find An Island", which is beautiful too. :)
Finishing off with some great jingles and the sketch from The Kenny Everett radio show will mkae you laugh out loud. :lol:
Excellent sleeve notes from Michele as always, and very detailed list of the songs, great cover too.
Michele and Richard, you have surpassed yourselves as always, many thanks for all your hard work, it has been well worth the wait. :D
My review of disc 1 will follow tomorrow night. :D

Sandra

Re: The Rarer Monro reviews

Post by Sandra » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:30 am

The word SUBLIME means 'of such excellence,grandeur,or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe' this surely is the definitive word to describe this work of art put together with such loving care by Michele and Richard :D :D
SO many known and unknown tracks of such quality that I think we need Keiths descriptive powers here :D :D
At the moment I need another listen to see if I can select some favourites.
I do know that the 'stereo tests' are a treasure.Whoever thought that we would be listening to the rare 'It Can't Be Wrong' (From Now Voyager I think) plus my all time favourite NEVER heard sung by Matt'I've Got You Under My Skin' :D :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks John--I am sure that Michele will be quiute happy to have all the reviews in one place. Mine may have to wait till the weekend-when I will hopefully receive the cd.
Mariana

mike

Post by mike » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Well first of all thanks to Richard and Michelle for their hard work. Well worth it.

On disc 1, I was already familiar with Strange Lady In Town, I Know, Twixt Twelve And Twenty from downloads. Of course the quality here is much better. The Rediffusion tracks are all super, but My Funny Valentine is a favourite for me. Matt's vocals are wonderfully clear here (more than usual). Amor Amor Amor is a lovely toetapper. You're Sensational is a totally different arrangement. I prefer it.

Perhaps the best tracks for me are No One Will Ever Know (great version just with piano), and Old Devil Moon (really jazzy - and I usually prefer Matt's ballads). The backing on Love Is The Same Anywhere is very catchy and a real change.

On disc 2, I think so far I Apologise and The Folks Who Live On The Hill stand out. Didn't We is an alternative version, smoother and better. The tune for Newport Cigarettes is cool too.

john

Post by john » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Listened to disc 1 in the car today, after listening to disc 2 again :D and it is every bit as good as disc 2. Fare Thee Well My Pretty Maid is one of my favourites on this disc, breathtaking, like Mike I was familiar with Twixt Twelve and Twenty, I Know and Heart Of A Man, but the quality is perfect now. :D I love the early version of Chatanoogah Choo Choo, even better than the 1975 version, some great classics get the Matt Monro treatment as well, like Old Devil Moon, I've Got You Under My Skin and "You Make Me Feel So Young" :D :D Love the early version of Birth Of The Blues and Amor Amor Amor, great alternative versions of Love Is The Same Anywhere, There Are No Words For Love, All My Loving, The Nearness of You, You're Sensational and No On Will Ever Know. Many more lovely songs as well that make up a great disc. :D :D

karl

Post by karl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I am writing this half-way through listening to Disc 2, so many great songs and so many outstanding performances. I especially like Choose, Beautiful Beautiful, The World I Used To Know , One Last Try, and the Spanish Maria to name just a few - to quote a Glaswegian phrase for the end of Maria (and one that Lulu has used) "Gawn Y'ersel Matt"!!! :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me that such great tracks have remained unreleased for so long, I am sure Matt would have been thrilled to see this release.

I am not SO familiar with Matt's recorded output, I know all the hits but I could not tell you whch album a particular song came from the way I can with Dusty. It makes one wonder if the artists in particular were put out by the non release of such gems, it makes you wonder just who's decision it was not to include them on a particular album etc:

Before closing I know the meaning of the word "edit" but some tracks have 'Unedited' after the title, does this mean they were released before in truncated form? Richard maybe you can answer this?

Well done to all involved in the making of this cd set, it's a very worthy addition to our Matt Monro collection.

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

They were previously edited so that all 6 songs fitted on to the Song For Europe EP

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 pm

The songs 'Choose', 'Ten Out Of Ten', and 'Beautiful Beautiful' were all previously issued on an EP called 'Songs For Europe' in 1964. However in order to fit six songs on the disc they were all edited down in length.

This CD sees the first release of those songs in Unedited form.

The other three songs on the original EP were: 'I Love The Little Things' and 'It's Funny how You Know' were released in full unedited form as the A & B sides of a single in 1964 (and now the Singles Collection) and 'I've Got The Moon On My Side' which was issued unedited on the 4 CD set ' The Singer's Singer' (both editions!)

Richard

karl

Post by karl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Ah, I remember reading about the tracks being edited for the record. I have Kathy's Kirby's Eurovision ep with 6 tracks - I wonder if they were edited too? Wouldn't it have been easier releasing the unedited version on the record and having it play at 33? However it's al history now!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 pm

I have listened to both cds, and I feel quite overwhelmed at the moment--there is just so much on there, so many great songs old and new--I need to listen some more before I can give a review.
Mariana

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 am

mariana44 wrote:I have listened to both cds, and I feel quite overwhelmed at the moment--there is just so much on there, so many great songs old and new--I need to listen some more before I can give a review.
Completely understand, Mariana. Take your time, ENJOY it. :-)
I intend to know it well before I give a review.
I'm going to have a party with Matt, the weekend after I receive it (around the 22nd).

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:02 am

Well I went to the record store today and picked up the Matt cd. :lol: As soon as my car had pulled into the garage and I came in the house, not before my Mum told me to shake the sand out of my shoes and things as I went to the beach earlier, my Dad took the bag in my hand with my purchases and pulled out a couple of "City Boy" and some other cds and lps that I had bought and was pretty grumpy until he found Matt!! LOL.. Boy I never seen anyone move so fast taking off the shrink wrap and making a bee line for his stereo. He says Matt should be played properly on a good system that was around during Matt's heyday and turned on the stereo. Wow, all I can say is the cd and liner notes are awesome. Great job to Michele and Richard. I can't say what songs are my favourites yet, but I guess I'll have to find some time to give it a proper listen when my Dad isn't listening to it. :lol: :lol: Oh yes and my Mum loves it also.

Funny thing when I was in the store Graham the manager was playing his copy and told me, he better get a listen in now before his Dad takes the cd and it disappears. Some folks in the store thought it was Sinatra, so Graham and I said, nope, this is better, it's Matt Monro, only to get a big WHO? Some people thought it was cool and had Graham order them copies along with some best ofs. Hmmm sounds like a good thing that people are turning on to Matt's great music!!

Don Cooper

Post by Don Cooper » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:45 am

Eman,Hi again.

It is very late here in Brum,UK but I could not believe reading your ref to "City Boy" !!!

If it is My Hometown band from the 70's let me know on here and I will have more to say...

(I'm convinced you are in the High Fidelity Record Store after that description of the punters saying
"WHO" ? Set Jack Black on 'em next time!) :P

All The Best

Don
Matt : Smooth, but not Glossy...

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 am

Hi Don, Yes, I believe they are either from Manchester or Birmingham and they were popular in the 70's. One of the members well the lead singer is Lol Mason and the guitar player is Mike Slammer. They are they band that had a massive hit here in the US with 5705? I hope it's the same band you are thinking of.

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I haven't got a copy yet I went to order it because there were none in the racks in HMV and they said I could'nt order it.
I do so want to get it, they have ordered things for me before I don't know what the problem is this time.
Christine

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”