Without the One I Love

A collection of previously unheard alternate versions of many of Matt's biggest hits, album tracks and rarities along with the some of the rare 'Airmen of Note' recordings,
paul jh

Without the One I Love

Post by paul jh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 am

Where did this fascinating song come from? I've never heard it before. I've been listening to it all day. The liner notes say it's from the I Have Dreamed album, but it sounds like a movie theme.

I like how the orchestra seems louder than the vocal, making the song a bit mysterious.

Just this track alone increases the value of Alternate Monro, because not only do we get alternate versions on many of the hits (with some very different like My Love and Devotion), but we have some rare gems too.

Rmoore

Re: Without the One I Love

Post by Rmoore » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 am

The notes are right. It is from the 'I Have Dreamed' album

I wouldn't say the vocal is louder than the orchestra, but I would say that it is not quite where it would normally be, but when mixing it, this worked better that it being really up front. Just bringing the vocal back a little fitted really well in the context of the lyric.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:48 am

I wasn't doubting the notes. It just sounds like a movie theme to me. I love the 60s feel to the song.

Your mix is perfect.

The Alternate Monro is great because it includes some non-hits like this song. And it's fun to notice the differences from the hits, but now they are becoming just as familiar as the hit versions. So I will be confused like I am with When Love Comes Along, where I learned the Rare Monro version before the hit version.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm

This is a great track, and the 'I Have Dreamed' album is well worth getting. It has a few great tracks that you can't find on any Matt compilation, such as How Soon and Friendly Persuasion.

GregT

Post by GregT » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 am

Richard/Paul/Mike,Monrovians..
Guys, i'm listening to my copy of the CD (just arrived) and agree that this track is a most surprising and beautiful song, no doubt due in no small way to Richards inspiring handy work.
In fact the quality of the recordings is such that you'd swear you were in 'the booth' with Matt and he was singing just for you. Bravo Richard.
How fortunate we are to have both he and Michele putting in the hard yards so that we can enjoy the one and only Matt Monro.
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Return to “Alternate Monro”