I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore

A collection of previously unheard alternate versions of many of Matt's biggest hits, album tracks and rarities along with the some of the rare 'Airmen of Note' recordings,
Wahzy

I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore

Post by Wahzy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 am

I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore - fantastic.

Absolutely love this song at the moment. It sounds crystal clear as well. Thanks Richard :lol:

Been playing it at full volume in my can (as you do) driving around town. Been getting some interesting looks from passers by. Just trying to spread the word of Matt 8)

Thanks again Richard, this album is fantastic.

Alex.

mariana44

Re: I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore

Post by mariana44 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Alex-we need more people like you to get more people to listen to Matt--I think most just know the big hits, but there is such a wealth of other fine material from Matt to listen to.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:44 am

Paul in the US drives around blaring Matt out of his car windows too :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 am

I was doing this very thing today, Robert. The Alternate Monro goes with me everywhere. So I brought it along for my long car ride to the country. The weather was lovely. And yes, I was blasting Alternate Monro and singing along to most all the songs, with extra repeats for My Love and Devotion, In the Arms of Love, Let Me Sing and I'm Happy, Let There Be Love, and I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore.

I must say that my ears still hear that wrong note from the other recording of Young Anymore. (Sorry Richard: it just won't leave my head!). But I prefer this "new" version much more than the other version with the wrong note.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:02 am

It took me a long time too Paul, I still expect it now and get surprised when it doesn't happen! But I have to say it is probably my favourite of all the tracks on the album.

It is my ambition to remix the whole of the 'Other Side of The Stars' album as the original mix is pretty bad on most of the tracks. I already have the multitracks for half the tracks so it's not beyond the realms. The version of I'm glad would use the originally released vocal but would banish the wrong note forever!

Richard

Eman

Post by Eman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

Robert and Paul I drive around with Matt blasting also sometimes mixed in with others lol nice to have him singing when you are at a stop light and other cars are blasting rap or something else i'm not familiar with.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 am

:) :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:14 am

I would love for you to remix The Other Night of the Stars album, Richard. But don't change the cover. I love the lettering, colours,
and the picture. Will you also do For the Present? I don't think you've ever touched Ethel Baby. I don't know how you could possibly improve it as it's gorgeous.

And we are still waiting for We're Gonna Change the World album; prefer that over the US version, Close to You. I don't think I've heard him sing Why Can't I Touch You unless it's on disc 5 of the Complete Singles Collection. I can never get to disc 5 as the first four are so good, my car journey is usually over.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am

I've no plans to touch 'For The Present' as I don't think there is anything wrong with the mix - barring the obvious sound difference due to two songs dating from seven years earlier.

Whilst multitracks exist for all of the tracks bar the two 1965 tracks It could be done but I see no reason why they would need to.

As to why nothing from that album appeared on Alternate, that's because due to budget constraints I went for tracks where Matt recorded several complete takes, on For The present her recorded virtually everything in two or three takes - Ethel Baby was recording in just two if memory serves me correctly.

Why Can't I Touch You has been avoided as far as CD compilation releases are concerned - Why? Because it's a dreadful song! and it was never a single. It would, as you rightly say, appear on a re-issue of 'We're Gonna Change The World" though, but as that album and all of it's contents belong to Capitol, that won't be happening any time soon I'm afraid.

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 am

Are the differences major or minor on the two takes of Ethel Baby? I would love to hear the other take! I love the song so much that I would name my daughter Ethel.

I checked the lyrics and Why Can't I Touch You is not the same as the Broadway show tune that was a hit by Ronnie Dyson. Matt's song certainly can't be worse than Mama Packed a Picnic Tea and Let's Find an Island.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 am

I haven't heard the other take - budgetary restraints mean that I couldn't get every alternate take and had to work on assumptions. I have found where Matt only recorded a couple of takes that there is very little difference between them. But maybe one day we can do an Alternate 2!

karl

Post by karl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds good that you are still working on future Matt releases Richard.

I must listen for this wrong note. One wonders why it was released that way and he didn't rectify it at the time?

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm not working on anything at the moment Karl! It is in the hope that we can do something else in the future.

Nobody I've spoken too can explain why they put out the rough mix of the song!

karl

Post by karl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:40 pm

The first cd I picked up (This Is Matt Monro) includes I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore but I could not dertect any wrong note and I usually notice things like that - how far into the song is the error?

Richard I re-read your email andthe title you mention is something you would like to do, I mus thave got over anxious and jumped the gun!!!! However let's hope we have not seen the last of Matt's new releases.

maxine

Post by maxine » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Eman wrote:Robert and Paul I drive around with Matt blasting also sometimes mixed in with others lol nice to have him singing when you are at a stop light and other cars are blasting rap or something else i'm not familiar with.
8)
Softly, I will leave you softly
For my heart would break if you should wake and see me go.....

Return to “Alternate Monro”