The Rare Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI for more than four decades this sees 50 wonderful new tracks as well as jingles Matt made for Babycham, British Rail, Pop Gear and Woolworth
john

The Rare Monro

Post by john » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:51 pm

WONDERFUL, MARVELLOUS. LET ME BE THE FIRST TO RAVE ABOUT THE RARE MONRO. THE NEW SONGS ARE BRILLIANT, ESPECIALLY "THE TOUCH OF YOUR LOVE", "IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN" AND "LET ME CHOOSE LIFE". ALSO GREAT TO HEAR BEAUTIFUL NEW TO CD MELODIES SUCH AS "WHERE IN THE WORLD" AND YOURS ALONE. LOVE THE COMMERCIALS TOO. TOP MARKS TO YOU MICHELE, AND TO EMI, AND OF COURSE TO YOUR WONDERFUL DAD.

monroaddict

Post by monroaddict » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:57 pm

There has been a lot of anticipation about this release. It has been a long time in the making and has been a labour of love for Michele Monro.

I am happy to report that this is one of the most exciting releases I have heard for a very long time. We were promised a bumper package of much sought after material - and Ms Monro has delivered: and then some.

There are so many highlights in evidence here. Most of the 70s ballads that make up the first CD are distinguished (as we have come to expect) with wonderful arrangements and superb production values. It is literally a case of one delicious surprise after another.

If CD1 finds Monro in reflective mood ('I've So Much To Be Thankful For' is particularly outstanding) the restored material form CD2 is an undiluted joy from start to finish. And should ever anyone need convincing of Monro's instinctive gift for swing there is ample evidence of it here. Again, it would be disingenuous to nominate just one track, but the Monro/Riddle treatment of 'Strike Up The Band' showcases Monro at his finger-snappin' best: it is full of the brio, wit and an urban chic that some had previously regarded as being the sole preserve of the Hoboken baritone.

Of course, what is audible throughout this whopping package (56 tracks in all) is a singer of immense gifts. On the ballads the unaffected warmth of Matt's interpretations are also masterclasses in how to treat a lyric with tact, intelligence and impeccable taste. On the swingers, he shows how he could play around the beat in ways that eclipse the efforts of some of his more celebrated American peers. This package reaffirms what most discerning listeners have known for years: that Matt Monro was a singer of genius.

Although I recommend that every track be savoured, I would especially draw Monrophiles to the following: 'All Of A Sudden' (the English version of 'Todo Passara'), 'Let Me Choose Life', 'Love Song' (some beautiful signature modulations), 'I've So Much To Be Thankful For' (a wistful and haunting ballad that really deserved to be included in the pantheon of Matt's superhits). I would reccomend all of the swingers from CD two.

As I say there are also unexpected surprises, such as a spinetingling rendition of an otherwise obscure ballad called 'During The Night.'

This is a record release of the very first rank and is another welcome addition to the catalogue of this towering performer. As the man said, we do, indeed, have so much to be thankful for

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi to John and "Monroaddict" for your views on the "Rare Monro". Some of us are still patiently waiting for our cd to pop through the door---so it is good to hear that this sounds like a great album,--just as we expected.

I cannot wait for mine to arrive---maybe tomorrow??

Marian
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 pm

Yes it should do tomorrow :) :lol: Marian. We'll be watching for it to drop on the mat. :lol: :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:03 pm

HI Lena and Harry--in my case it pops into my letter cage--I have had so much mail chewed up by my dogs, that I had to take drastic action!!

I would not be pleased to find they had chewed my new cd up!!

It was bad enough when I ordered 8 concert tickets, and the dogs got there before me-and every ticket had a huge corner cut off i---5 minutes later and they could all have been gone!!

But yes, I still love them :lol: :lol:

Marian
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:42 pm

Marian, my friend had a Jack Russell and it was only allowed to chew her bills up that arrived, otherwise this poor dog was in dead trouble.

Hilary

Post by Hilary » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:02 am

Hi John, Monroaddict, Lena, Harry and Marian,

I called into HMV yesterday and bought the "Rare Monro" and I have managed to listen to CD number 1. Hopefully I will listen to CD number 2. today.

You are all in for a treat when you hear the opening track, "Other people" and all the other tracks on here as well.
Because I have just received the CD, it is hard to say which are my most favourite tracks. "Alone AM I" is a lovely song as is "Try to remember" and Matt's Spanish version of "Can't take my eyes of you" (No Puedo Quitar Mis Ojos De Ti)

A lovely double CD package with a very nice booklet inside.
Lots of info here for fans to read and there is a good selection of black and white photos too.
If you are a new Matt fan and you didn't know that much about his work then everything you ever wanted to know about the great man is here for you. His recording career and the great musicians and producers that he worked with on these and other recordings.

Why not buy the double CD package for a friend as it would also make a lovely present for a loved one and at £8, it won't break the bank will it?! :wink:
Last edited by Hilary on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilary

Lee Wilkins

'THE RARE MONRO'

Post by Lee Wilkins » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Hilary wrote:Why not buy the double CD package for a friend as it would also make a lovely present for a loved one and at £8, it won't break the bank will it?! :wink:
Hi Hilary

The CD is even better value now. I ordered it from HMV's Web site (http://www.hmv.co.uk) yesterday at a cost of only £5.99! That's practically giving it away.
wilkins™ — Postcards Online | www.wilkinspostcards.co.uk

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Lee, that is a giveaway price. We ordered ours three weeks ago from HMV at £7.95 and thought that was so unbelievably cheap.
We haven't received ours yet and our postman's been and gone today. :cry:

john

Post by john » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:32 pm

well, it is definitely worth the wait, lena and harry, i can tell you you will love it, there are some gems on it, let's hope you receive it in the morning.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am

You made me laugh again Lena and Harry :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

jon

Post by jon » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:11 am

Bought my copy yesterday. Initial listening suggests a few gems; the second CD is mainly live performances: "Blue Moon" sounds particularly good. Well worth the purchase and, like a good wine, will get better with each listen.

michduncg

Sounds brilliant!

Post by michduncg » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Can't wait for it to turn up - just ordered from HMV and will look forward to my next day off from work, which is next Friday! Unless I share the same postman as Lena & Harry of course. Provifing it turns up, I will sit at home and listen to that, while I play at flying old aircraft on Flight Sim - well its how I relax lol.

What makes this album different for me is the anticipation of hearing songs that I've never heard before. Of course, I am familiar with some of them (New York, New York for instance, Taking a chance is one of my all time fave songs, among others). But there are so many songs I've not heard, so who knows, I may fall in love with some of them as well - or all of them.

Its an amazing thought that long after Matts death, we have the opportunity to hear some much unreleased material as if it were new. I am as excited to hear this than the latest release from any current artist, if not more so, because I am 100% certain that I won't be disappointed. I will let you know my thoughts next week!

Take care, and things in advance Michelle for bringing all this new material into our reach

Michael

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:25 pm

Listening again after a weeks travel I found myself totally gobsmacked by the emotional power of a track on disc one - During One Night. From 1961 it seems to have been recorded for a pretty torrid sounding movie -

see

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/briti ... osity.html

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054832/

- notable as being directed by Sidney J. Furie ( 'Ipcress File' etc.)

The cd sleeve lists 'B. Mc Guffrie/Dyrenforth' as composer which is probably a misspelling , with the movies music being credited to 'Bill McGuffie'.

Matt voice is perfectly complimented by sparse backing , making this a real highlight of the collection.

Hilary

Post by Hilary » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

We were in HMV Dublin on Saturday afternoon and the "Rare Monro" was listed as CD of the week in the Easy listening section!
Not bad really considering that there are quite a few new ones out at the moment! :wink:
Hilary

Return to “ Rare Monro”