The Rare Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI for more than four decades this sees 50 wonderful new tracks as well as jingles Matt made for Babycham, British Rail, Pop Gear and Woolworth
john

Post by john » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:35 pm

yes, i have a video of her on the russell harty show somewhere, and she could be quite abrupt sometimes, but i really like her, she also recorded a slower version of FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE, a similar tempo to matt's version

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:54 pm

Well, I've had the Rare Munro CD in the car for a couple of weeks now, and one track above all others is gettin numerous repeats on our CD players! The track is 'Strike up the Band' and its absolutely fantastic! Its so up-lifting and energetic, you can definitely sense the pride and anticipation as Matt introduces this track. Two fantastic performers at the top of their careers deliver a superb cover of this song that can't fail to get you singing at the top of your voice and feeling happy to be alive! Matt really covers his whole vocal range and hits and holds those high notes as only he can.

As I said earlier on this thread, I almost look upon this rare material as a release of a new album from a conemporary artist. It excites me just as much (if not more) to discover these tracks for the 1st time.

I'm also strangely drawn to the 'jingles compilation' - particulalry the British Rail and Woolworths ones!
Michael

Here I go again, I hear those trumpets blow again.......

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi Mike, we agree "Strike Up The Band" with Matt and Nelson Riddle is fantastic, can't sit still listening to this one, -also on the CD "A Touch Of Class." and the jingles Ahh this is for our Robert too,...we remember them well. :wink: and on every Woolworths store, the sign Nothing Over 6d. :shock:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I wish they still had that sign up these days :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm

Lena & Harry, aren't those ads great! Don't know whether the powerboats Matt sings about were 6d!! I very vaguely recollect that there was huge Woolco in Thornaby, near Middlesbrough where I originally come from and they sold caravans, boats, furniture, stereos etc. Didn't last too long - think it closed in the mid 1970s. The modern english Woolworth isn't even owned by Woolworths of America anymore.

Which reminds me of the part of 'On the Town', where Frank Sinatra (I think) is asking the taxi driver to show him all the sites of New York according to an old tour guide given to him by his dad, including the Woolworth Tower. Only to be told that his book was out of date, and since it had been written, they built the Empire State!

Finally Lena & Harry, back to the ads, do we know who the lady in the Babycham duet is? and was Babycham ever the happiest time of all?

I think Richard Branso should pay Michelle & Matt Jnr loads of money and use the 'let the train take the strain' jingle again. Its all still very relevant - Matt even mentions the Tate! Yes, I know (before you reach for the keyboard Robert) that the tate most people visit today is the Tate Modern and not the original!
Michael

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Mike we doubt too if powerboats were 6p from Woolworths. Hairnets and Dinkey curlers maybe.
Harry was born in Middlesbrough, but came to London as a youngster and still has relatives in Thornaby.
Not sure who the singer is with Matt in the Babycham ad, have been trying to recognise the voice though.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:03 am

I was going to tell Mike about Middlesborough :( instead I will say that Mickie Monro want's her share from Mr Branson also :wink:

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:28 am

No way - what a small world!! I actually come from Guisborough, just outside the Boro, but its easier to say Middlesbrough!! Don't know if you ever go back, but time hasn't really been kind to Boro - too many 1960s office schemes and shopping malls. Began my 'retail career at Binns Dept store in 1983 as a lift boy! Funny to think that they still had lift boys as late as that! I still go and vist there everytime to I 'go home'. Not been to Thornaby for a very long time - probably since Woolco actually!

Hi Robert - thanks for the correction - glaring oversight on my part!

Lena & harry - do you two drink 'babycham' after a night out at the theatre?!
Michael

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:33 pm

It seems that they must have had too much babycham last night :wink: :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Haven't had Babycham for years Robert, some time ago it was the in drink and we've seen a few get legless on it. Not us of course :wink: We didn't think it was still consumed any more until some one mentioned this either on radio or tv recently-- can't remember now. But yes, it is.
Drinking habits have altered, what's happened to Brown Ale and Mackeson stout for instance :lol: (we can only guess what you're thinking b....y hell what's that :lol: but now it's Light Ale, and wine comes with the weekly shop.
:P :P

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:49 pm

As Bernard Miles would say "Mackeson"....... Looks good, tastes good and by jolly it does you good........................ :lol: :lol: yes I remember it :( :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:30 pm

That's it Robert, you've reminded us of that one with Bernard Miles.
Used to stand leaning over the gate telling monologues of some character called Nathaniel Titlark. :roll:
He took over the Mermaid Theatre in London.

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Hmmm - bit before my time I think - I'm sure you've put a fake photo up Paul cos you sound a lot older than you look :lol:

I do remember a TV advert from the 1970s for Whitbreads Trophy Bitter - with the jingle 'The pint that makes you a dwarf'! It featured a pint glass that grew in front of the customers eyes until it was about 6 ft tall.

Drunk on Babycham ?! I thought it was about 0.5% - or was it stronger before decimalisation Lena & Harry? My Gran aslways used to that was when the rot set it!
Michael

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:17 pm

Your Gran was right Mike, the year 1971. :evil:
As far as Babycham, it got an in-law member of our family tipsy and that's her only memory of our wedding. She probably remembered that it wasn't champagne, and that was before 1971.
Mike we have a relative living in Gosport, so the last time we were in Portsmouth was for the International Festival Of The Sea in July.

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:33 pm

Portsmouth is getting a lot nicer isn't it. There are lots big regattas on all the time. The ships and boats that come and go are amazing. Some real money there! But my favourite bit is still the tacky Amusment Park, where you can watch the hovercraft from the Isle of Wight come and go :)

1971 indeed - I can just about remember the adverts coming on telling you all about it - just before Watch with Mother! Grandma also reckoned that giving rid of the 1/2 pence peice was another big rip off, which I suppose it was cos everything got rounded up.
Michael

Return to “ Rare Monro”