The Rare Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI for more than four decades this sees 50 wonderful new tracks as well as jingles Matt made for Babycham, British Rail, Pop Gear and Woolworth
michduncg

Post by michduncg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:28 pm

What a sad end to a amazing story. Your cousin sounded very courageous, to have taken that bomb away - many people must owe him their lives. As you say Marian, all the more poignant with the approach of Poppie Day. My headmaster in Junior school used to play recordings of Remembrance day parades on November 11, I think they were from Ypres. I also took part in several Remembrance Day parades when I was in the Air Cadets. These always fascinating days, with veterans from both World Wars taking part. I don't think we all apprectiated how fortunate we were to to be able to talk directly to someone who had fought in the trenches, although we listened to their stories with awe and admiration.
Michael

Here I go again, I hear those trumpets blow again.......

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi Mike-and Harry and Lena---George had been in the army in world war 2--he was at Monte Cassino in Italy, plus lots of other places--but some of the amazing stories he told were just unbelievable--if you did not know that they really happened ,you would think they were from a film or a book.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Marian, we know what you mean, we have heard some stories too.
We had a neighbour who spent two years in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. We recognised from his changed appearance and his changed character of what he must have suffered, along with thousands of others. :cry:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:38 pm

One of the stories I used to love to hear George tell [I'll condense it], but basically they were all heading back to camp, just as the news came through that the war had finished, and as they started climbing the hill, George got a stitch-so he was told to stay where he was, with the young prisoner thay had taken. The rest of the men divided into 2--one half carried on up the hill, the others went round the hill. After 24 hours, and all night in freezing weather, George decided to disobey orders and head back to camp on his own, with his prisoner. When he appeared, they all thought they were seeing a ghost---the half that went to the top of the hill were all killed by a machine-gun---the other half walked straight into the Germans and were captured. George was the only one who returned--all because he had a stitch !!! Strange--but true.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi Marian, we imagine an incident such as this would be a constant reminder to George every time he had a stitch, but what a lucky escape.

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 am

Sorry - had 'tuned out' of this thread, and just read your story Marian. Isn't it funny how fate can sometimes play a big part in our lives
Michael

Here I go again, I hear those trumpets blow again.......

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 am

I have just seen this cd "The Rare Monro" in HMV in Tunbridge Wells at £12.99. A bit steep, when it is supposed to be retailing at £5.99!!
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:21 am

You should have told them in the shop Marian :wink: as its still £5.99 - on the HMV website, but then again online prices are a bit cheaper than shop prices (usually).
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Yes they generally are Robert, We paid 8.99 for Alma Cogan, and Hmv wanted 14.99 for it yesterday. :shock:

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:39 pm

Was that for the DVD Lena and Harry? I paid £11.99 from HMV Guernsey.
Good to see you back. :lol: :lol:

Marian

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 am

If anyone has yet to buy the Rare Monro, it is only £3.99 now on the HMV website............a good present for Mother's Day............I bought my mum it last year :wink: Also available for pre-order on the same website is a new Matt CD "That Old Feeling" at a cost of £2.99 :!: :!: :D :D anyone know any news about the CD :?:

john

Post by john » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:19 am

Hi Robert, it sounds as though it could be some of the decca singles on this cd, or possibly from the Blue and Sentimental album. "That Old Feeling" was from about that period.
Then again, I could be wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:28 am

Hi john. Have you just got in from eh................the PUB :wink: :lol: Yes john, I have just gone on play.co.uk for information, as HMV had no info regarding the songs on the CD. I believe it IS the 12 Decca songs that Michele has mentioned on the site news, which includes "Cottage For Sale" a bargain at £2.99 :D :D

john

Post by john » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:31 am

No, not been to the pub tonight Robert, don't go quite as much now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
May go tomorrow night though. :lol: :wink:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 am

I have just pre-ordered my copy :D :D :D :D

Return to “ Rare Monro”