The Rare Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI for more than four decades this sees 50 wonderful new tracks as well as jingles Matt made for Babycham, British Rail, Pop Gear and Woolworth
monroaddict

The Rare Monro

Post by monroaddict » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 pm

There has been a lot of anticipation about this release. It has been a long time in the making and has been a labour of love for Michele Monro.

I am happy to report that this is one of the most exciting releases I have heard for a very long time. We were promised a bunmper package of mnuch sought after material - and Ms Monro has delivered: and then some.

There are so many highlights in evidence here. Most of the 70s ballads that make up the first CD are distinguished (as we have come to expect) with wonderful arrangements and superb production values. It is literally a case of one delicious surprise after another.

If CD1 finds Monro in reflective mood ('I've So Much To Be Thankful For' is particularly outstanding) the restored material form CD2 is an undiluted joy from start to finish. And should ever anyone need convincing of Monro's instinctive gift for swing there is ample evidence of it here. Again, it would be disingenuous to nominate just one track, but the Monro/Riddle treatment of 'Strike Up The Band' showcases Monro at his finger-snappin' best: it is full of the brio, wit and an urban chic that some had previously regarded as being the sole preserve of the Hoboken baritone.

Of course, what is audible throughout this whopping package (56 tracks in all) is a singer of immense gifts. On the ballads the unaffected warmth of Matt's interpretations are also masterclasses in how to treat a lyric with tact, intelligence and impeccable taste. On the swingers, he shows how he could play around the beat in ways that eclipse the efforts of some of his more celebrated American peers. This package reaffirms what most discerning listeners have known for years: that Matt Monro was a singer of genius.

Although I recommend that every track be savoured, I would especially draw Monrophiles to the following: 'All Of A Sudden' (the English version of 'Todo Passara'), 'Let Me Choise Life', 'Love Song' (some beautiful signature modulations), 'I've So Much To Be Thankful For' (a wistful and haunting ballad that really deserved to be included in the pantheon of Matt's superhits). I would reccomend all of the swingers from CD two.

As I say there are also unexpected surprises, such as a spinetingling rendition of an otherwise obscure ballad called 'During The Night.'

This is a record release of the very first rank and is another welcome addition to the catalogue of this towering performer. As the man said, we do, indeed, have so much to be thankful for.

len & freda

Post by len & freda » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:21 pm

have just listened to the CD "The Rare Monro" absolutely marvellous, had tears in my eyes whilst listening. Is there a song that Matt never sung. Len and Freda Gibson Dovercourt

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi Len and Freda, nice to hear from you both, although not sure what songs Matt didn't sing, we are really finding out now what he did sing. It's brilliant isn't it. :)
We understand the emotion listening to Matt, and so good to know how much you are enjoying "The Rare Monro." :)

paul davies

rare monro

Post by paul davies » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:27 am

what a wonderful collection of songs superbly remastered

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:58 pm

They cetainly are great songs Paul, and glad you are enjoying them as much as we are. :)

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:47 am

Another great review in THE ROBERT FARNON SOCIETY NEWSLETTER .

Michele Monro

Review

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Any chance of you posting it on the Forum, would love to read it.
Many thanks

cmartin_ok

Re: The Rare Monro

Post by cmartin_ok » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:46 pm

A bit of time lapse in this thread, but.....
I got my copy a couple of weeks ago, and was enthralled to listen to the songs. Truly amazing work
Please call me Chris, and see some of my photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmartin_ok

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:10 am

Glad to hear you are enjoying The Rare Monro. This is still my favourite Matt Monro release of the past five years.

GregT

Post by GregT » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 am

Hi Monrovians..
Having just received my copy of "Rare Monro" I am , once again, a bit of a johnny-come-lately with my meagre offering,
but I guess as the Monro word spreads to unenlightened generations we will all discover perfection in our own good time.
Not having the literary arsenal of 'Monroaddict' I can only wholeheartedly concur with his assessment of this disk and his
acknowledgement of the tireless efforts of Michele in keeping her dear old dad's memory aglow in that firmament reserved for true stars.
It would be an unnecessary over indulgence to critique every single track , superlatives simply fail me.
I love 'Mirage'...full of Middle Eastern intrigue. Hitch up the caravan and hit the sand..
'Try to Remember'...crikey , I know what that's like.. (apologies..I'm a callow fallow..er..fellow.)
'The Lady Smiles'...smells of Kaempfert...but don't you love it.?
...and I didn't even suspect that the Floral Dance had words..the wife,being English, has the brass band version..but, you learn something every day.
Time I learned to shut up, me thinks..
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 am

I don't know if you know of Terry Wogan in Australia Greg, but he recorded a vocal version of The Floral Dance many moons ago. :lol:
Marian :wink:

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am

Listened to The Rare Monro last Saturday -- first time in several months. The collection of songs is so fantastic. For the Touch of Your Love sounded particularly exquisite. Can't wait to hear The Lady Smiles in stereo on the Complete Singles Collection, but I probably won't notice the difference. I am hoping the 'singles' will become as special as The Rare Monro.

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:07 pm

I am sure The Singles Collection will be as special as The Rare Monro, Paul. :D

GregT

Post by GregT » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Marian,
Sorry if i seem to be a bit slow on the uptake, but my home PC is dead and I have to wait for a quiet moment at work to sneak a peek at the forum.
I'm sure Terry Wogan was on Graham Norton's show on the local ABC
the other night.
What a legend he is..loved him when he did Eurovision .. though we never see him on local TV in Oz.
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm

You are very welcome whenever you can drop in Greg. :D
Will you be able to listen to Michele's interview with Bob Edwards 28th January on Radio Freemantle?
Marian :D

Return to “ Rare Monro”