The Rare Monro

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI for more than four decades this sees 50 wonderful new tracks as well as jingles Matt made for Babycham, British Rail, Pop Gear and Woolworth
ROBERT M.

Re: The Rare Monro

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Do you get to watch Eurovision in Oz, Greg ? :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 am

Maybe there is an Australiam version---at the moment I am watching "Masterchef-Australia" and really enjoying it--totally different to our "Masterchef"--the only similarity is that it is about cooking.
Mariana

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Another disc that before I even opended I loved, the cover is just pure class. I love that shot of Matt alone in the studio so cool. The linear notes as superb as ever, Michele really does make these releases special :) . The tracks themselves are all excellent, it's hard to pick a favourite although it's great to hear Matt swing some well known standards e.g Lazy River, Birth of the Blues etc. One track that has to be super stand out though is "It's Alright With Me" the Cole Porter standard is given such a great treatment with Matt giving a superb jazzy rendition just accompanied by piano (he really shoudl have done a whole album in this jazz style, would have been a classic.) Matt's vocal is so freewheeling and sooo engertic it barely gives time for the listeiner to breathe!
The ballads are as big and as powerful as ever, why this material remained locked away or unavailable for many years is beyond me! Another fine collection from the vaults from Michele and Richard - well done!

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 am

This was indeed a treat for us Josh, and we are so grateful that many of these unheard of songs from Matt came to life and were restored, thanks to Michele and Richard.
"All Of A Sudden" " It's That Time Again" and "When I Look Into Your Eyes" are superb on Disk 1 and "Strike Up The Band" is a definite favourite on Disk 2 along with "Day In Day Out " and "In The Still Of The Night :) :) "

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Been listeining to this set alot lately and thought I'd just drop a note to say how sensational Let Me Choose Life is! Surely one of the best Monro performances ever! That ending is spine tingling this is how a record is made! Matt's vocal is so powerful is become one of my all time favourites :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 am

We are in the process of re-listening to this CD again.It is our latest 'listen in the car on a journey' CD.
As we listen again we realise how very lucky we are to be hearing these wonderful rare tracks.
Side one is truly amazing -Other People-Let Me Choose Life-Only the Night Wind Knows-The Lady Smiles and so many more.
Side two-By The Way-Blue Moon-Strike UP The Band to many to mention.
Thankyou Michele and Richard.Can't wait for a possible Rarer Monro?? :D :D

Return to “ Rare Monro”