New DVD - Now available to order.

Gathering together some of his best television performances from across the globe and includes rarely seen footage selected by his daughter Michele Monro.
Rmoore

Re: New DVD - Now available to order.

Post by Rmoore » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:58 am

I've heard back from Odeon. Apparently a lot of the footage only came in at the last moment and it was found that various items were missing but it was too late to get them especially 'Somewhere' as this should have come from Australia.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm

We watched the DVD last night and enjoyed it from beginning to end. The quality is superb and Matt's performances were brilliant as usual. A few of the clips shown reminded us of the many happy times when we had seen Matt singing some of the songs in our local cabaret clubs.

We would like to say a big thank you to Michele and Richard for bringing out this DVD which we are sure will be enjoyed by many and it definitely warrants a five star plus rating.

We do feel it is a shame that "Somewhere" and"For Once In My Life" could not be included (maybe another time hopefully) and also that it would have helped if Odeon had kept Richard up to date.

Also we noticed on the listings on the back cover they have put Track 11 as "When You Wish Upon A GIRL" but of course this error did not detract from watching Matt singing "When You Wish Upon A STAR" - maybe they will take better care next time.

:D :D :D

karl

Post by karl » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm

IN a way it's a pitiy they did nto delay the release to add the extra footage, perhaps they can release it as an ep dvd?

Forgot to say Matt wore some smart suits on his appearances, I the opening songs wearing the back suit and ddlater a three piece suit with a pocket watch - very smart.

Makes me wish all the more I'd been able to seen Matt onstage.

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Really enjoyed the DVD. Thank you Richard and Michele - once again! :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 am

Rmoore wrote:I've heard back from Odeon. Apparently a lot of the footage only came in at the last moment and it was found that various items were missing but it was too late to get them especially 'Somewhere' as this should have come from Australia.
Why did a lot of the footage arrive late or not at all !! ......... surely Odeon had enough time to prepare for the release ......... if not why not delay the release a few weeks, as it was officially released nearly three weeks after Matts 30th Anniversay anyway :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 am

We will be watching this DVD many, many times.Thankyou Michele and Richard for all of this fantastic material where we can watch Matt doing what he did best,singing 'live'.All the little nuances in every song,wonderful.
His beautiful version of 'Georgia' and his still perfect renditions from 1984 when he was beginning to look so gaunt.Did you also notice, as we did ,the amusement on his face clinging on to the mobile wall going round while singing 'Let's Face The Music And Dance'. Priceless! :D :D :D

john

Post by john » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 am

I have watched the whole dvd and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I have left a good review on amazon, but I do agree with Robert and Karl that it should have been delayed until everything was correct. There are so many mistakes it is unbelievable, and I feel it has been rushed to get out, such a shame after all the hard work Michele and Richard have put into it.
Saying that, I will be watching it over and over again.

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Got mine on Monday haven't seen it yet but am going to watch it tonight.

I know it is going to be amazing every thing Matt is and I have read all your coments on the forum.

Thankyou again Michele and Richard.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Great Amazon reviews John and Karl.Wonder who the other two are?

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Received ours today. Will be watching it tonight :)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Robert, The politics of these things when dealing with multiple companies is quite complex. Some won't send until there is a release date planned for instance. Others aren't held by the original owners. The Mike Walsh Show footage for instance was all donated to the national Film and Sound Archive of Australia. This footage took us 5 years to get and was the last to arrive - delaying the release date as it was. If we had waited to get "Somewhere" sent over it would probably have delayed the set by several months. The Archive have had to transfer all the shows from original 1 & 2" Quad reels on archaic equipment and they have a back log so that was never going to be easy. The BBC suddenly said they couldn't find the Pebble Mill at One footage - which is odd because they sent the estate a copy some years back, But if they say they havn't got it then you can't say we don't believe you and keep a good working relationship going!

For Once In My Life was the fault of ITN source and really SHOULD have been fixed quickly. They didn't include it on the tapes sent to Odeon and no one noticed until it was being edited. Alan who we worked with was away when it was edited and he only found out there was a problem on his return - after the master had been delivered. He is not a happy bunny either. he left instructions that should there have to be any changes to the running order to let the art department know before it went to print - nobody did. The proof reading could have been better too. All the printing errors will be fixed on the next pressing providing this sells well.

I STILL haven't seen the DVD myself yet. Odeon are supposed to be sending me one but all the stock seemed to go out to retailers before they got their copies so even Alan hasn't seen the finished article yet.

I daren't tell Michele about this until she returns as I don't want there to be a major incident on the high seas!

It's very irritating as this set has taken many years to research and 2 years to obtain clearances so all these problems (perhaps barring the Mike Walsh) shoul have been fixed MUCH earlier.

karl

Post by karl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Richard it's too bad Alan's instructions were not acted on, so what happens with the footage that did arrive too late are we likely to get it in future?

Seems strange you have not been sent a promo copy, one would have thought with all the work you did you would have been the first to receive a copy.
Last edited by karl on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

I don't know yet Karl. The missing Australian clip is not going to come unless we request it again, likewise the Pebble Mill Clip (as long as they can find it now!) so they aren't exactly delayed. We'll see if another project comes up!

Fingers crossed this set sells well and that some of the other TV companies stop being so silly with their prices!

Richard

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

We watched the DVD last night and really enjoyed it, a GREAT DVD.

All the clips were wonderful and I love to hear him singing "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Shame about "Somewhere" not being on, but otherwise top marks a WONDERFUL DVD.

Always love seeing and hearing the ....GREAT MATT MONRO.

Thankyou again.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:01 pm

We have also watched the DVD now and simply loved every minute. Like all of Matt's previous products in spite of the errors on the listing on this item, it couldn't fail to please.
As if we needed a reminder of what a world class singer we are watching here. This DVD is a real treasure, just fantastic.
It's always nice to hear the regular hits that Matt made his own like Born Free, Portrait, Walk Away, My Kind Of Girl, but Matt knows exactly how to treat each individual song in his own laid back style. No effort just pure genius and natural talent.
As difficult as it is to pick out a favourite from the wonderful selection, we both loved Matt's Curiouser and Curiouser and of course the superb rendition of "When You Wish Upon A Star" but the outstanding song for us both has to be... "I Have Dreamed" Just takes your breath away.
Thank you Michele and Richard. So happy to have this gem. !!!

Return to “Matt Monro: Around The World”