MATT'S NEW CD

The Lost New York sessions finally sees release in March 2020
Lena & Harry Smith

Re: MATT'S NEW CD

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Had two emails from Amazon this morning. Mines on its way. And so the superstition about Friday the 13th isn't so bad after all. :)

john

Post by john » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Me too Lena, mine arrived later this afternoon. :)

karl

Post by karl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Listening to the cd as I write,. it sounds so clear like Matt was right beside you and I love the smaller accompaniment, it has a real night club atmosphere. I also like the way the discs are presented with the original Capitol colours. I have yet to read the sleeve notes but the pictures are great especially the three where he is laughing, something obviously set him off!
Orginally I was undecided - did I really want or need another Matt cd, I am so glad I didn't listen to myself!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:00 pm

I agree Karl. Thank you Michele and Richard for what must have been such hard work producing this superb double CD.
Our very favourites If She Walked Into My Life,The Impossible Dream,Maria,The Lady Smiles,Stranger In Paradise etc.Stripped back ,clear and crisp-perfection.
The 'best of' CD should be listened to by anyone who fancies themselves a singer.Their is no better tutor than Matt to learn phrasing,breathing and how to end a song than Matt.
Lot's of time and effort by Michele and Richard has gone into the 'book' accompanying the CDs. Pictures,some we hadn't seen before.The technical notes and of course the stories of those Capital years.
Like Karl says it was good to see the proper Capital colours on the discs.
A superb production which we hope will sell as well as it deserves to, for the sublime singer that is Matt Monro

john

Post by john » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:05 pm

So far only listened to the first disc but it is excellent. Great cover on the cd and some nice photos, I have yet to read them as it was quite dark last night when I was listening to it but looking forward to reading them and of course listening to disc 2 as well. Has anyone spotted the TV advert yet? I haven't. I thought it may have been on Thursday or Friday around Emmerdale and Coronation Street time, I could have missed it perhaps. I am sure it will do well and an absolute bargain. Just in time for Mother's Day next weekend too. Thanks again Michele and Richard.

john

Post by john » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:59 pm

I saw the TV advert on Challenge around 3.20 pm this afternoon.
I got around to reading the sleeve notes today properly. Great photos of Matt, some I hadn't seen before and listened to part of the first disc again this afternoon.

karl

Post by karl » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Paul O'Grady played three Matt tracks tonight and plugged the new cd.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm

My copy should arrive tomorrow, needless to say looking forward to it!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:18 am

Just listened back to Paul O'Grady well done to Paul.The best plug I have heard yet :D :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Another superb treasure to add to our collection. In spite of the different methods and ideas when recording in the States compared to here in England, our sincere thanks once again go to Richard who has succeeded into perfecting each track and to Michele who has worked so hard to make it possible.
My favourites on CD 1, are mainly the softer ballads like "Look For Small Pleasures," If she walked in to my life, I'll only miss her when I think of her, and then I particularly like "What Makes It Happen" and "Lovers Caravan"
"The Impossible Dream" is a great number One track, although I prefer Matt's recording from Live In Australia. A version totally unrivalled. CD no 2. is total perfection, but then we are talking about the voice of them all aren't we. The Incomparable Matt Monro. :D :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:15 pm

My copy literally just came through the door, haven't listened to it yet but what I can say is, once again, Michele and Richard have delivered a true high quality package. The cover is even more impressive in person and the disc design was a nice classy touch. Of course the real gem of the packaging is, as we've all come to expect from the dynamic duo is the album notes. Extensive as always, with the adoration for the music shining through. Excellent technical detail is once again provided detailing the history of these recordings to perfection. I can't thank Michele and Richard enough for the research they put into these essays, you both really deserve some award for these sort of releases. They really do set the standard for being the custodians of an artist.

Thank you once again Michele and Richard for keeping the standard so high and delivering new material to us fans, I'm going to have these recordings on repeat for quite awhile.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm

We agree with EVERYTHING that has been said by our forum friends. We thought it would be good but it has exceeded all our expectations. The album notes and photos are excellent and a huge thanks to Michele and Richard for the release of this fantastic CD.

We have played CD1 & CD2 three times so far and it has cheered us up in view of the present virus situation.

🙂🙂🙂

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 am

Josh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:15 pm
Excellent technical detail is once again provided detailing the history of these recordings to perfection.
If you enjoyed the notes you might like this too. http://mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/stranger/

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks for the link Richard an excellent researched, well written piece of Monro history.

Have finally listened to the new disc and can say its terrific. The paired back arrangements really work and the band blends so well with the Monro vocals. Sound quality as we've all come to expect is sublime so thank you once again Richard. Alternate takes and studio chatter is always a welcome plus for me so the added bonuses I believe are a great addition. I suppose its a shame the album didn't receive the release as intended back in the '60s but I must say I love the fact we have both versions of these recordings to compare and contrast. It may be because its new material but I'm leaning towards Matt's intentions for alot of these tunes, rather than the altered Capitol versions. I guess time will tell on preferences.

The second disc is naturally made up of material we all know well but the new mixes for some tracks Richard has had the opportunity to produce are a welcome addition. Now thanks to this release all of Matt's hits and most popular tracks are all in the best sound quality they can possibly be! I think its quite prophetic that this release contains Matt's original take on "Put on a Happy Face", particularly after yesterday's press conference. Guess we should all follow Matt's advice then!

Overall this is an essential release for the Monro discography presenting a "lost album" as it was originally intended by the artist and a second disc of hits and iconic performances. Coupled with a slick cover and extensive, well researched album notes I can't see why no Monro fan, new or old would pass this one up!

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Bit of good news the album must be selling well as its currently out of stock on HMV's website and directly through Amazon, seems its not just us die hards that have picked up a copy over the past few days.

I also have taken the time today to delve into "the book" to re-read the section on this time in Matt's life and the sessions in particular. For anyone interested in Michele's writings its on pages 310-311.

Return to “Stranger In Paradise”