The Complete EMI Recordings, first thoughts.

4 CD set from Cherry Red Records.
Josh

The Complete EMI Recordings, first thoughts.

Post by Josh » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:50 pm

I've only just started delving into the new set, which btw arrived promptly on release day. The packaging is great, is subtle and yet full of class like the major releases we've had over the years. The few tracks I've listened to sound so good, Richard's worked his magic again with the tunes sounding as fresh as they did on the day they were recorded. Well worth the wait even if it has been agonising waiting for release day! I'll post more soon once I've fully explored the set.

karl

Re: The Complete EMI Recordings, first thoughts.

Post by karl » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:52 am

Working my way through the new set, onto disc 2 now and When You Wish Upon A Star.
Lovely presentation with nice picture of Matt and I also like the booklet.
First track I played when I opened it was Chattanoogo Choo Choo as I always liked Matt's
version.
Well done to everyone involved in this project.

karl

Post by karl » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:38 pm

karl wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:52 am
Working my way through the new set, onto disc 2 now and When You Wish Upon A Star.
Lovely presentation with nice picture of Matt and I also like the booklet.
First track I played when I opened it was Chattanoogo Choo Choo as I always liked Matt's
version.
Well done to everyone involved in this project.

Just looked out more of my Matt cd's as I wanted to compare the other version of "Chattanooga" and there is quite a difference,
Matt sings "Pardon Me Boy" and on the newer version it's "Pardon Me Sir" and the arrangements are also very different. I also looked out The Complete Singles Collection and could hardly believe that was releaed in 2010, it seems like yesterday. I am anxious to listen to "By Her Side" again and I amazed such a wonderful performance was a b side!

Well I just listened to "By Her Side" again and once more it left me in tears, this must be one of Matt's most beautiful and moving performances, it takes a lot to move me this way but Matt did it!

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 pm

:)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

john

Post by john » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:35 am

I have listened to all of disc one now, the album For The Present was always a favourite of mine, nice to hear it in such great quality sound. I also love the different version of Didn't We further along the disc.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:52 pm

Have now finished playing all four CDs which are absolutely great and certainly think all Matt fans will want to add this release to their collection and hopefully new fans.

Thank you Richard for the booklet with lots of information which fits in well with each disc.

Also great to have "The Long and Winding Road" and "If INever Sing Another Song" on CD. The advert of the new release looks good on the Màtt You Tube Channel.

Thank you Michele and Richard for all your hard work.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:01 pm

A fabulous 4 CD set Every track honed to perfection but we have to admit to going to CD4 first as we were dying to hear the tracks from Matt's material of the later 70's/80's. His soaring voice on The Precious Moments. The underrated, underplayed beautiful Diana. The Last Farewell. If I Never Sing Another Song .So many favourites on CD 4. The whole set is superb and we are certainly enjoying the comprehensive booklet that comes with the set.

Thank you Richard and Michele for this masterpiece.

karl

Post by karl » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:53 pm

Almost at the end of disc 4 now and enjoying it more and more, it's good to hear Matt singing songs by
other artists like May Each Day, Morning Has Broken and When A Child Is Born (like the reggae
style beat).

I also read the sleeve notes which are very informative and I like the picture of Matt looking down at
the sheet music (note his beautiful watch!). I have also pulled out all the recent releases to listen to
once more.

Listening to all the later tracks I found Matt's vocals got even better with age or is that my imagination?

john

Post by john » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:33 am

I have listened to disc 2 now, the Other Side Of The Stars album sounds so much better now. Looking forward to disc 3 now. :)

john

Post by john » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:11 am

I just have disc 4 to listen to now, again I thoroughly enjoyed the third disc, The Long And Winding Road is another of my favourite albums. Super quality again of course.

Return to “The Complete EMI Recordings 1971 - 1984”