MATT BRAVES THE BOMBERS

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
Frederick

MATT BRAVES THE BOMBERS

Post by Frederick » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:22 pm

I have very fond memories of the one and only time I saw the great Matt Monro perform live. It was in my native Dublin in 1974. Bombs had gone off in the city and the atmosphere was one of shock and disbelief. Performers were edgy and I recall Cliff Richard cancelled his dates, as did the group Paper Lace. One man however was not going to be deterred..MATT MONRO appeared on RTE (Irish National Broadcaster) and said "I'm here to make people happy....I'll appear no matter what" and that's just what he did. Matt made a number of appearences on Irish TV and I wonder of any of the archive is still intact. He was a particular favourite of Gay Byrne who hosted The Late Late Show on TV as well as numerous radio programmes until his retirement a few years back. We have a big place in our hearts for Matt as was shown by the remarkable reception given to Matt Jnr. when he appeared at the National Concert Hall in Dublin earlier this year. Perhaps the Irish connection is worth looking into Michele as you never know what it might turn up.
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:30 pm

That was a great memory Frederick, and it has given us another insight into Matt the man, and his terrific character. I'm not surprised he appeared as he did, just thinking of entertaining the public and bringing pleasure, even in a situation which could have proved very dangerous.
Really hope some archives from that period still exist. Perhaps Richard might have more information.
Marian :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Nice story Frederick, and just seeing Matt that once has held special memories for you to treasure.
We can only imagine that it's just the kind of thing that Matt would do while others declined the invitation to appear during those times of the bombing, and people never forget those kind of things.
Another occasion for Matt Jnr to feel proud of his dad when he appeared there. :lol: :lol:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:26 am

I think Michele has mentioned about showing clips of Matt on the Late Show, at The Beck in October. I don't know if it's the same show as The Late Late Show though :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 am

That's right Robert. On the "Video Clips for the Fan Club Meet" thread, to be held at the Beck on 2nd October, Michele mentions, "One of his earliest appearances on The Late Late Show," with clips of her dad either singing "Valentina" or "The Golden Age".
Marian :D

Return to “Matt Monro Live”