Matt Monro at the De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill on Sea

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
kcowper

Matt Monro at the De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill on Sea

Post by kcowper » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:51 am

Back in the 1950's I found out Matt was doing a show at the De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill. So with two of my best girlfriends I bought some tickets and we went along, we had front row seats and as always Matt's set was great. For this show the pianist was very short and his feet could hardly reach the pedals on the grand piano, this caused the girls to go into hysterics much to the consternation of the band. After the show we went round to the stage door in the hope that we might meet Matt. When he appeared he came over to us and we chatted and he asked us what the girls were laughing at. We apologised and said it was the fact that the pianist had set them off." Thank God for that "said Matt "I thought my zip was undone!!" We had a laugh and a chat and as always Matt was a real gentleman and none of us ever forgot that meeting, in fact when we meet up now, even though we are now OAP's we often recall that special evening. Matt really was The Singer's singer and like all great stars he left us too soon.The new CD of unissued songs is evidence of that. Keith Cowper

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Keith, that was a great story of you seeing and meeting Matt---it is always interesting to hear personal experiences--especially for those of us who were never lucky enough to see Matt in person.

Welcome aboard this forum.
Last edited by mariana44 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:04 am

Welcome Keith. Nice story.. :D
Hope you'll join in lots of discussions on this forum. As you'll see, we discuss all kinds of topics, but above all Matt's wonderful musical legacy.
Marian :D

john

Post by john » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Great story Keith, always good to hear stories like these. :)

Angela51

Matt Monro Live

Post by Angela51 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:07 pm

:D :D :D

WELCOME KEITH... Lovely to read you story. I have lots of memories

of meeting our MATT, and yes, he was a Gentleman, I have seen so

many of his Live Shows. It is a wonderful privilege now to meet MATT

MONRO (Jnr) and Family, also the wonderful Fans at The Beck Theatre,

and chat here on The Forum.

Angela

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Great story Keith, and although we didn't see Matt live in concert we saw him many times on television.
He had a great sense of humour and we can imagine his joke about the zip. We bet the girls wouldn't have told him anyway. :lol: :lol:
What great memories you must have too Angela of seeing Britains number One vocalist, but Matt Jnr in his own personel style in October will be reminding us, not only of those great songs, but others too no doubt. :lol: :lol:

Terence Lee

Meeting Matt

Post by Terence Lee » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi Angela

Do tell us more about the times you met Matt. Please share your wonderful memories.

Angela51

Matt Monro Live

Post by Angela51 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:26 pm

:D :D :D ...........Hi Terence :

Well, wherever our MATT was around singing, I used to take my Mother, who also loved to hear the voice ahd the music. When my Mother 'passed-on', it then bacame my neighbour who came with me whenever I asked. One particular show, I booked a front row table, and to my delight MATT came to sing to us, for a little while. Matt knew his 'Fans'. Later on, at the Interval, Matt quite willingly signed my Diary, that was 1979. To this day I treasure the Autograph, now along with Matt (Jnr's) alonside. This autograph was verified as Matt's signature by Mrs Monro, at last year's Fan Club Meet. What a wonderful keep-sake !

Angela :wink:

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Thank you Angela. Loved reading it.

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:19 am

Lovely memories Angela. :D :D :D
Marian.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 am

A lovely keepsake to treasure Angela, :) always making time for his audience was part of Matt's charm. :) :)

Return to “Matt Monro Live”