Matt Live in Concert

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
Edgar

Matt Live in Concert

Post by Edgar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:55 am

Yes, I saw Matt live on stage in Cardiff on 2nd November 1984 which was my 41st birthday. I wrote to him prior to the show and was delighted to receive a signed photograph with a Christmas Card shortly aftewards with a message of thanks. I still treasure the photo and the memory of that concert. I was sat in the front row and he was, as usual, magnificent, and the recent DVD brought it all back, including his humour! Thanks Matt.

woosie

Matt Monro

Post by woosie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:20 pm

I cannot remember the exact date but it was in the early 60s at the Granda, Maidstone. My mum took me and my sister to see a show there. All I can remember is seeing Matt come out on stage, that he was not very tall but what a big voice he had. I have lived with this image for years and was so pleased to learn that his son was doing a tour.
Woosie

lori

what a special guy...

Post by lori » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30 am

as I have stated many times, how wonderful it would have been to know Matt Monro....I have read many of the stories about him .. It seems he was so kind so caring and above all such a voice!! He sings in my apt. every day it is so great to know all of you love him as i do....

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:48 am

Lori, like the rest of us I don't expect you can wait for Michele's book to be published, hopefully by next Christmas :D :D
Marian :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm

It was 1963 when we met Matt.John and I had got married in the December of 1962 so delayed our honeymoon until the summer of '63
by going to Blackpool(there weren't many exotic honeymoons then!).
The exact date was 17th August 1963 and he was at the North Pier Blackpool.
Our seat numbers were A1 and A3 and I can still remember how nervous we were watching the show at the thought of meeting Matt(we were very young!)
I was always writing to him in those days,and am the proud owner of a handwritten letter from him.I also still have two scrapbooks of cuttings and photo's.
Anyway we had been thrilled to receive a reply saying that he would be happy to meet us.
We were immediately put at our ease.John and Matt had a cigarette,and we all had a drink and a chat.To top it off Morecambe and Wise also came in the dressing room as they were also on the bill.
We spent the rest of our honeymoon on cloud nine,even going to see the show the next night too.
The last time we saw him perform was in 1978 when he appeared at the Palace Theatre at Newark with Eric Delaney.
A kind,generous man still sadly missed.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 pm

A lovely story Sandra, and undoublably the envy of many of us on the web-site, and to have so many personal and wonderful memories to keep.
What was so special about Matt, unlike some was, that he never changed in spite of his fame and talent. :lol: :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:05 pm

What a wonderful memory Sandra, once again bearing out the fact that Matt was such a genuine and generous gentleman.
You are indeed lucky to have memories like these to keep and treasure. :D

Marian :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:56 pm

A great story Sandra--thanks for sharing it with us.

By the way--who was in seat A2 in Blackpool??
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Never thought of that Mariana,they must have been odd numbered seats!
By the way Mariana never had a reply from Murph,as I have some photo's that we took also when can get on the photo album site.

john

Post by john » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for that lovely story Sandra. :D

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 pm

We really enjoyed reading your story of seeing Matt on your honeymoon. What a wonderful memory you have of your special time spent in Blackpool.

As you say Matt was a lovely man and always very generous with his time whenever he got the opportunity to share it with his fans.

Maureen & Harry :lol: :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Sandra--I think Michele recently mentioned that Murph is away at the moment-I am sure he will help you out when he returns.

Now you mention it, I remember going to a concert where all the odd numbers were on one side, and the even numbers the other side.
Mariana

Gray

Post by Gray » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Sandra.

Really enjoyed reading it.

What an evening for you, Matt Monro & Morecombe and Wise! :)
I would of been in seventh heaven!

usafret

Post by usafret » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm

HI SANDRA, WHAT A MEMORY, BUT THEN WE ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US.

RECENTLY I ASKED THE MEMBERS IF THEY KNEW WHAT SHOW MATT SANG, "THANKS (TO THE LORD) SOLO THAT IS
RICHARD SAID IT HAD TO BE THE "MORECOMBE AND WISE" SHOW.

SINCE YOU SEEM TO RECALL ALL THE DETAILS OF THAT TIME, DO YOU REMEMBER IF HE HAPPEN TO SING, "THANKS" THAT EVENGING?

BEST
ED

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 pm

HI ED,
SORRY ED ,I WAS IN THAT MUCH OF A STATE OF NERVES WHILE WATCHING THE SHOW, KNOWING I WAS GOING TO MEET THE GREAT MAN THAT I HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT HE ACTUALLY SANG!
I HOPE THAT YOU GET YOUR QUESTION ANSWERED SOON.
SANDRA .

Return to “Matt Monro Live”