Magic Memories of Matt Monro

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
telawrence

Magic Memories of Matt Monro

Post by telawrence » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 pm

About fourty years ago I had the good fortune to hear and see Matt Monro at the American Air Base , Bentwaters , Suffolk, I had been told this gentleman had a great voice , so persuaded my American boyfriend to take me to the show. On arrival went to the bar for a drink , saw Matt chatting with a group, I so wanted to go over and ask for a autograph but did'nt feel "brave" enough. After a while we went into the Club Room, the first part of the show was a comic and I seem to remember he was quite good. The room was full to capacity and like very few evenings I would ever experience there was a magic tension going through the room, what would this singer be like, several people sitting at our table had seen Matt before and said he had a special sound.

The introductions were made by the MC and suddenly Matt Monro was on stage, so elegant, the evening suit , white shirt , bow tie and of course the pocket handkerchief, the audience was waiting , suddenly we heared the most beautiful voice, from that moment on I would be a Matt Monro fan , from the days of the LP records to todays CD's and thanks to Michele we have so much material to hear and view, we all owe her a very big thank you.

After the show, we went back to the bar, very soon Matt appeared, I thought this time I will be "brave" and go over to ask for his autograph, feeling very nervous , ask the question, he looked and smiled and with his soft voice said "of course you can and is this your boy friend , would you both like a drink" Magic words, there we were drinking cola's with Matt Monro talking about the show and Bentwaters, how I wished we'd had a camera that evening.

I never went to a Matt Monro live concert again but now go to see Matt Monro Jrn and looking forward to his Southend show later this year. Now taking a camera wherever we go and have been lucky in obtaining some great photos of Matt Jrn.

These are just a few words about a few magic hours fourty years ago that will never be forgotten.

Our thanks to all the Monro family you are all special people, and to all the fans of Matt Sen. and Matt Jrn.

Maggie
Maggie Radcliffe

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 am

Maggie, what a lovely story about you meeting Matt.

Like many of us who were never lucky enough to see Matt in person,I find it is just wonderful to read the experiences of people who have--thanks for that.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 am

Matt must have been a magical person both on the stage, and off it too :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:07 am

I can understand what you mean about a magic tension going through the room Maggie. before Matt made his entrance.
I've always looked around and savoured this feeling before an important star was to make an appearance, knowing that the people were there all just to see this one man, and no doubt, nobody would have created that feeling and atmosphere more than Matt. :) :)

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm

That's a lovely story, Maggie.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

Thank you for sharing such a special memory with us Maggie. :D
Marian :D

lori

so lucky

Post by lori » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 am

I feel anyone who ever saw Matt Monro live had a gift !! And I wish I could have been among you lucky people who saw him.. His voice with every song had a message, whatever he sang. An ordinary song was not just a song... it was as if he sang for me... and for you.. And from his heart.. Perhaps that is the reason his voice was so beautiful, because he felt all the words The bells in my head keep ringing , and it is always Matt singing,,,,,,,

GregT

Re: Magic Memories of Matt Monro

Post by GregT » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 am

Thanks Maggie..
Beautiful story. I'm sure the lives of those who knew Matt are just that much richer..
What must it have been like to be Matt ?.. humbly knowing he could hold an audience spell bound ,
with the awesomly powerful gift of song ..his to command.
Long Live his memory..
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

ROBERT M.

Re: Magic Memories of Matt Monro

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Matt had his audience spellbound ...........until the "pies came"................. :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Matt Monro Live”