Welcome

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by Administrator » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:09 pm

This area is dedicated to all your stories on seeing Matt Monro live? Where did you see him perform? Did you meet him? What's your favourite memory?
Last edited by Administrator on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

hansi

Post by hansi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:58 am

Yes, I saw Matt live on stage in Cardiff on 2nd November 1984 which was my 41st birthday. I wrote to him prior to the show and was delighted to receive a signed photograph with a Christmas Card shortly aftewards with a message of thanks. I still treasure the photo and the memory of that concert. I was sat in the front row and he was, as usual, magnificent, and the recent DVD brought it all back, including his humour! Thanks Matt.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:52 pm

HI
I first saw Matt waqy back in the late 50' early 60's at the Whisky -Go -. In london's Wardour Street . he was the caberet after midnight. The compere was a comedian called Ray Martine . Great memories, great times.

Marian

Matt Monro Live

Post by Marian » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:39 pm

I was never lucky enough to see Matt live, but I think this Tyneside tale from a friend of mine, June Lamb, conveys how much I missed.....

"I liked Matt since the first time he was ever on TV. Tin Pan Alley I believe the show was, and I must have been about 16. Sid liked him too, but we never got to see him 'til just a year or so before he died.
I was looking through the local free paper one Sunday afternoon and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw he was appearing at our local working mens club.
That very night I rang the club to ask if it was "THE Matt Monro", and was told, "Aye Hinnie". I asked if there were any tickets left and was told "Nee need for tickets Hinnie, just pay at the door, £2.00 a head". I couldn't believe my ears.
We went along, still half expecting to see a "tribute act," and when Matt hadn't appeared by 8.30 we weren't really surprised, thinking it was too unlikely to be true.
However, at around 9p.m.just as we were about to leave, it was announced that Matt had arrived, having been lost on the way from his hotel.
He came on stage around 9.15, apologising and making us laugh at his attempts to find his way, coming up against bus only links and brick walls at every turn.
It was all very familiar to we locals, so we knew he was telling the truth.
We were also treated to the now familiar tale of him asking someone the way, and being told, "You mightn't get a seat though, cause that Matt Monro's on the night."
After a very late start, he held us spellbound for the next two hours. he was absolutely wonderful, his voice, though I didn't think it possible, sounded even better than on his records, and he soon had the audience eating out of his hand with his great personality. Even those who were there because they always are, were completely "gobsmacked" as someone put it, as seeing such a class act at their "local".
I think Matt would have gone on singing all night if the grumpy old "Committee man", after trying for ages to get him to "finish up", finally put the lights out saying "Some of us 'av 'omes t' go to".
It was a night I'll never forget. Sadly Matt became ill soon after that and died much too soon and much too young..

diane

Post by diane » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 pm

What a lovely story Marian, and a lovely birthday memory Hansi.
old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives.

Angela51

MATT MONRO....LIVE PERFORMANCES

Post by Angela51 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:10 pm

My last wondeful evening spent listening to Matt was at The Talk of The North, Eccles, Manchester.

I had pre-booked a front table, and kindly asked a neighbour to come along with me.

Matt smiled, came straight away to the table, and sang to me, he knew his fans.

I was absolutely shocked, when I heard he was ill, I even posted a "Get-Well" card to him.

I treasure, to this day, Matt's autograph, which he gave me at the interval, along with lots of his memorable music..........Angela

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:39 pm

Great to welcome you to the forum Angela, wonderful story of seeing Matt performing live. A lovely memory to treasure. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Angela--you are one of the lucky ones to see Matt in a live show--thanks for sharing your story with us.

Marian
Mariana

Angela51

MATT MONRO....LIVE PERFORMANCES

Post by Angela51 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Hello again.... Thanks for the Welcome.

I did see Matt in his Live Shows several times, whenever he was Touring around our area.. You could always guarantee a good performance. so it was always, for me, Action re-play, such a pleasure to listen to some good music and beautiful songs.. To me Matt is a Legend.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi Angela, yes Matt Monro is a Legend, this description somehow seems to be applied quite freely to so many in the music world these days and we often wonder why.
The word Legend in our book is a known international performer with outstanding qualities, a testament to a real star. Matt is all of this. :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Matt IS a legend. Frank Sinatra IS also a legend apart from in jons eyes, in which case Frank would only be a leg-end :shock: :shock:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

phyliss

Re: Welcome

Post by phyliss » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:28 pm

interesting readings about my favorte matt monro. I'm so happy that I have found this site. you all have such wonderfull memores of matt. I'm a hugh fan have quite a few of his cds, dvds. even his movie sataan harvest. have a fan club here in the usa. his music is played in my home and in my car. with no end. thankes for the memoris. :lol:

Return to “Matt Monro Live”