Meeting Matt Monro

Have you ever seen Matt Monro in concert? Tell us your favourite stories.
HossInReno

Meeting Matt Monro

Post by HossInReno » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:22 am

When I was 13 years old in 1967 and living with my Mom and Stepfather in Lake Tahoe Nevada I got to meet Matt Monro and his wife. My Stepfather was the Entertainment Director at Harvey's Resort Hotel and he brought his work home with him so to speak. Matt was appearing at Harvey's and while there he would come over for dinner and just hang out. Matt was a lovely man and very nice to me. My mother made quick friends with his wife. I remember a harry ride with my Mom and Matt's Wife to Reno in the back of an XKE Jaguar via Kingbury Grade that would of scared Jackie Stewart. I was in my schools band back then and I played a rather sour version of Born Free on my Trumpet for him. Like I said....he was very kind and thanked me for playing it for him. I'm surprised he did'nt sue for making him tone deaf....
I had just today learned of his passing in 1984 thru information on this site. It made me sad and I am glad of the fond memories of him ..........
HossInReno

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be Matt’s driver when he came to Germany for a forces concert. We shared a scotch and a cigarette in his hotel room with others of the entourage. I was not, then, able to fully appreciate his musical talent but he always seemed to be one of us. He never forgot his roots. He took great joy in being invited to dine at the officers mess. Something he had not experienced before, during his army service, he said. A real privilege for me. I just wanted to put my memories of Matt on record. Great guy, wonderful artist. Lucky me huh?
He signed my programme “The best driver in the Riech” Matt Monro A treasured possesion.
Sluggy Green

Moobugg

Re: Meeting Matt Monro

Post by Moobugg » Wed May 01, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Everyone.

New member here. The last time I listened to a Matt Monro song other than (On days like these) was quite a few years ago, I have lived in France since the early 90s and other than the occasional comment by Chris Evans on the breakfast show about Matt, no mention at all about his songs until the other day.

My daughter Inès (aged 9) and myself eat poached eggs on toast while watching episodes of Randall and Hopkirk every Saturday lunchtime, (mum works) this has been like a national institution between us for the past few years. My wife Pascale who is a Aznavour fan came home for lunch, first time in years. Telly off, Radio on, Aznavour singing Mama.

I'd had enough of R and H anyway, after listening to Mama for a few moments I got to thinking about the Matt and something which occurred during the 70s..................................

I was lucky enough to be taken to Barbados on holiday during the 70s I must have been aged 10 or 11, so much so the local rag found out about it and a small column was printed local family holidays in Barbados.

(big thing in Bournemouth back in those days) After a few days swimming etc I found an old fishing line hooks etc etc, tangled around the small jetty and rocks close to bathers, so I dived down an untangled the line

and a guy who was swimming nearby took the line and disposed of it. Me now safely on the beach felt a tap on the shoulder followed by a comment on my work. The guy may have spoken to me for about 5 minutes

and walked off. I was later told by other bathers that this guy was and you guessed it Matt Monro, we were staying at the Barbados Beach Village Hotel further down the beach, but I used to sneak up to the posh

Hotel, I can't remember the name, maybe Michelle can remember. Someboday told my Dad (who loved Matt) about the episode, and for the next few days moved up the beach hoping to catch a glimpse of the Star.

Nothing, maybe I scared him off. Since the saturday episode with Inés and Pascale, I have rediscovered Matt, and hope to visit Barbados this November. Incidentally I prefer the Aznavour version of Mama,

(probably get thrown off the forum for the last comment) My fave song from Matt is Birth of the blues. If Michelle can remember the name of the Hotel I will post in some snaps of the famous jetty rocks etc if they : are still

there.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Moonbugg--interesting story-we have not all been lucky enough to meet Matt in person, but always good to read about someone who has--especially in such different circumstances.

It's Ok if you prefer Charles Aznavour's version of Mama--we all have our different favourites apart from Matt, but obviously Matt is the common factor to us all, and Matt brings us together.
Mariana

karl

Post by karl » Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 pm

It must have been great to have met Matt, what wonderful memories to have.

Moobugg

Post by Moobugg » Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Its interesting, since I posted my story on meeting Matt, I have looked at several photos and videos and I can tell you Matt looked a lot better in real life. Matt looked good in photos, so take this as a compliment.

Return to “Matt Monro Live”