Matt Sings Monro - CD

With the advances in modern technology this project allowed the recording of 14 duets featuring the singer and his son Matt Jnr. Re-released in 2007 it continues to remain a favourite amongst the fans
Administrator
Site Admin

Matt Sings Monro - CD

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:03 am

This duet CD features both Matt Monro and Matt Jnr.
What did you enjoy about this CD?
Did you hear any similarities between the two voices?
Which song is your favourite?
Which song would you have liked included?
Would you like a follow-up album?

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:52 pm

1. I like how the arrangements are a bit different than the originals. For example, I don't recall key changes in the original arrangements in some of the songs. Also, I have never heard Matt Monro sing "I Close My Eyes and Count To Ten" which I have always associated with Dusty Springfield. But I love the duet on this album. I also like the liner notes written by Matt Jnr, which I've read many times, and the track listing with songwriters included.

2. I hear similarities in the style.

3. My absolute favourite (and one of the most beautiful recordings I've ever heard) is For All We Know. The arrangement is new and fresh, and the two voices are stunning together. It's exquisite. I will be playing this song forever. I enjoy the rest of the tracks also, with We're Gonna Change The World and If I Never Sing Another Song runners-up to For All We Know. We're Gonna Change The World is wonderful for the different arrangement with that cool instrumental break in the middle and the outstanding singing. And If I Never Sing Another Song is sung with so much emotion and sensitivity.

4. I think This Is The Life would be nice to include in a duet arrangement.

5. Sure, I would love a followup album. But first I would like a Matt Monro Jnr solo album. (I believe Matt Jnr said on Eric Hall's programme that it will be released this year.)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi I love this album-I find the 2 voices quite different--Like Paul, I love "For al we know" beautiful song, beautifully sung.

I would love a follow up album.

Marian
Mariana

Terrajel

Post by Terrajel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Hi, I have been playing this album for a few weeks now and it has become a firm favourite in my collection which spans everything from classical to punk rock!

When I first played it, I had mixed feelings. I felt almost sorry and uncomfortable for Matt Jr. in dueting with that fantastic and incomparable voice. Indeed, several visitors have heard it and pointed out that no-one is ever likely to compare to Matt Sr., but I think that misses the point. I believe these tracks have all been very carefully chosen, and the appeal here is that either the arrangements and/or Matt Jr's counter-poising have been used to elevate Matt's voice beyond the original recording. Take for example "You've Made Me So Very Happy". I don't know if there is more than one recording of this, but I have it on the "Moment to Moment" box set. I am positive that Matt's vocals are the same on this album, but this version is awesomely better 8)

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear "I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten" which is just fabulous beyond words with the back-and-forth duetting. It also makes me wonder (with great anticipation) what other vocal recordings there may be lying around somewhere of Matt's great voice, just waiting for a the right arrangement and production to turn them into another wonderful album like this.

I remember years back (1980's pop-pickers....) when Natalie Cole did a duet album with her dear departed dad (a big hit with "Unforgettable" at the time), and I was rather disappointed with the rest of the album. Not so this one - Matt Jr. has done a great job in bringing us back Matt's beautiful voice in a way that transcends. I look forward to the next one :D

Terra

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 am

Welcome back Terra with your wonderful post 8) 8)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Terrajel

Post by Terrajel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:08 am

Hi Robert,

It still irks me that I have not been able to rip this CD to my hard drive to play it jukebox style, and have to keep the CD in the drive.

I tried every (software) tool I have without success. I even bought a second copy of the CD when my Mum heard my one, and I let her have mine. The new one was the same with the copy protection. Still, it was a great buy - the CD plus the DVD "A Portrait Of" for £10.95 at Amazon - bargain-tastic music lovers :roll: :roll: I'll post my review of the DVD when I've watched it a few more times 8)

Terra

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Terra--I know I mentioned to you before about Itunes--obviously you were not successful.

I just did another 3 [long] postings about using Itunes, but if Itunes cannot be installed on your computer, it will not work.

I do not know what to suggest, as I am no expert--but I am sure that there must be a way of getting it on your computer.

Perhaps there is someone more experienced at this sort of thing who may have some ideas.

Loved your review of the Matt sings Matt cd.

Marian
Mariana

Terrajel

Post by Terrajel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi Marian,

Great news! I had a bad system crash the other week and had to rebuild the system disk on my PC - reload Windows and all the applications etc. I didn't lose any of my data or ripped music since I keep those on separate drives. It's a pain to rebuild the system but actually you end up with a faster and sleeker installation. I had forgotten until your above message that I could try iTunes again. I installed it and it now runs fine on the PC !! Even better I discovered that having iTunes running somehow allows me to rip the copy protected CDs with Windows Media Player, into my preferred format, lossless variable bit-length WMA (which iTunes cannot handle).

So, I have just spent a happy hour ripping "Matt sings Matt" and all 4 volumes of Rod's American Songbooks, and am a very happy bunny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terra 8) 8)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Terra--I am so pleased for you---I knew there had to be a way--I did not expect it to involve practically rebulding your computer, though. :lol:

It looks as though my message came just at the right time for you.

I love the "Rod Stewart Great American Songbooks" too!!

Marian
Mariana

Return to “Matt Sings Monro”