Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra

Several discs have seen the light of day that are not endorsed by this site and in the case of the Cyril Stapleton Cd don't even feature Matt at all. If you haven't read about a project on this site it is probably pirated.
Marian

Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra

Post by Marian » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:45 pm

I recently bought the above CD which as a varied selection of recordings including 2 rare Matt Monro tracks - "Live a Little, Love a Little," a duet with Jean Campbell, and "O'Oh La La Boom Boom". :lol:
I must admit it was a real surprise to hear Matt with a French accent, which takes a little getting used to, but it's nice to be able to hear these rare tracks anyway.
There are 25 recordings altogether on the CD, many of which I'd never heard before.
Marian :D
Last edited by Marian on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michele Monro

This is not Matt

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 pm

This CD is not supposed to have been released. I have just been sent the demo and have told the gentleman concerned that it is NOT Matt singing.
Sorry to tell you that but I would like to know where you bought it?

Thanks

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 am

...a question of'cashing in'-these kind of products are to be avoided.

Rmoore

Re: Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra

Post by Rmoore » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks to archivist Phil Farlow we have now traced the tracks on this REX CD

They are:

"Live a little, love a littl"e by Sally Ann Howes, Jacques Pils & chrous.

"Oo-la-la, boom-boom-boom" by Jacques Pils

Both from an EP of the short lived show "Romance in Candlelight"

So no Matt Monro, No Jean Campbell and probably no Cyril Stapleton either!

Mystery solved - As said before AVOID!

Richard

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 am

That is really interesting Richard, and great news that the singers have finally been traced.
This might also be of interest, it tells us a little about the French singer. I found it from a biography of Edith Piaf.....
"After the war, Edith toured Europe, the United States, and South America, becoming an internationally known figure. Then, in 1951, tragedy struck. She was in a horrible car accident, breaking an arm and several ribs. The doctors prescribed morphine, and she also began drinking heavily to ease the pain. Soon Edith was recognized cruising the bars of Paris, picking up strange men to assuage her loneliness. In 1952, she settled down a bit when she married songwriter Jaques Pills, but Pills was also an alcoholic, and did nothing to discourage her drinking. He did love her, however, and provided her with the most stable relationship she'd ever known."

Another titbit about Jacqes Pills..
"In 1959, Pills was the Monegasque entrant at the Eurovision Song Contest 1959 with the song "Mon ami Pierrot". The song ended last, in eleventh place and got only one point. He is the father of Jaqueline Boyer, who went on to win the contest the next year for France."
Matt did much better didn't he?!!
Last edited by Marian on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:47 am

Interesting.

Perhaps "Featuring recordings by Edith Piafs future husband" should have been featured on the cover then!

Richard

Return to “Rogue & Bogus Discs”