Matt Monro Yesterday

Matt's memorable performance on 2nd January 1966 at the prestigious Araneta Coliseum in Manila marking his farewell to the Philippines after a record-breaking five day run in front of capacity crowds of 24,000 nightly - the biggest audience of his career smashing Nat Cole's previous record at the venue of 22,000
Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 pm

I've stayed with HMV for this, so looks like I'll be relying on your verdicts for a short while longer!

Michele Monro

Yesterday

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:36 pm

I need to clear this up - the new release from Night Owl has been delayed as they do not want to be in direct competition with the 'Not Now Music' disc 'Matt Monro Sings' which came out on the 7th along with the Nelson Riddle CD 'Matt Sings, Nelson Swings.

I have no new date to give you at the moment but I am rather annoyed with the company as it throws the whole schedule out.

john

Post by john » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks for the information Michele, like the saying goes, "good things come to those who wait".

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 am

Never mind Michele, we realise what's happened, nothing ever goes exactly to plan, but thanks for the info. :lol: :lol:

Frederick

Post by Frederick » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks for letting us know about the DVD, Michele. I did send an email to Night Owl Music asking about the release date but they ignored me. Zero points for customer service.
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

john

Post by john » Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

The cd arrived this morning in the post. To say it is brilliant is an understatement. The remastering is to perfection thanks to Richard. And it is so nice to have some of the lesser known songs featured. Some of my favourites are there as well, obviously "Before You Go" which I have mentioned numerous times before, the glorious "One Day", which Matt said before the song this was the first time he had sung it in concert, the lovely "I'll Dream Of You" from the "Love is the same anywhere" album, the Eurovision entry "I Love The Little Things", a superb rendition of "Somewhere" to name but a few. Amazing to think that this was played to a crowd of 24,000 people. But just listening to it made me feel I was actually there that night. I know everyone will love it.
The 4 tracks from the 1983 concert are also super of course, great version of "Beautiful Noise" and another favourite of mine, "Todo Pasara/All Of A Sudden".
Can't wait for the 1984 concert to come out later in the year.
Well done to Michele and Richard, a job truly well done.

john

Post by john » Fri May 30, 2008 12:14 am

I thought I would just mention this, for those waiting for Lena and Harry's review (Because we know they received the first copy :lol: :lol: :wink: ), they are encountering computer problems again, Lena was telling me she had practically written her review and the computer just went down.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri May 30, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks for explaining John. We were actually surprised to see that we were back on line late last night knowing AOL,. that these past weeks have been less than satisfactory :roll:

john

Post by john » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 am

Pleased you are back again Lena and Harry. Hope you didn't mind me explaining where you were. :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 am

The eagerly awaited CD YESTERDAY finally arrived and here is yet another fantastic treasure of Matt's music that we are thrilled to have in our collection.
We particularly like the front picture of Matt singing, with arms outstretched and the album covers inside the booklet of the Philipines visits and the album covers matching the songs. :lol:
An excellent write up in the liner notes on Matt and again of course all with the help of Michele.
Here, Matti s giving his final night concert performance after a run of Five consecutive nights to an audience of 24,000 people. Probably the only British singer who had the talent to hold an audience of that capacity, and his contemporaries of that era, Sinatra, Bennett, Martin, graciously never denied it.
There is nothing quite like listening to a live concert and here Matt gives his all on these songs to an appreciative and enthusiastic audience .
Matt's " Yesterday" and "Walk Away " that he sings in an obvious happy and jokey mood were typical of Matt's rappour with an audience.
The mood changes for these Two songs ... "Can This Be Love " and Before You Go" and sung with tenderness and emotion that only Matt knows how, :cry: breathtaking !!!
In complete contrast Matt's up-beat tempo of "Aound The World" makes a refreshing change to most other versions.
Matt said that Two years ago he was told that he looked like James Bond :lol: :lol: and proceeded to sing-- "From Russia With Love."
All these songs painstakingly digitally restored and remastered to perfection by Richard have made this CD a real winner, and the bonus tracks from the 1983 concert are equally superb.
This is another gem, thanks again to Michele and Richard and a must have,.. not just for Matt's fans but all music lovers everywhere. :lol: :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:59 am

Great review Lena and Harry--glad to see you back on line.

I have also been having yet nore problems with AOL--and my Sky+.

These things are great when they work right-but a real pain when they do not. Even having insurance is not helping at present.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri May 30, 2008 10:08 am

Marian, we have heard quite a few complaints with AOL recently.
John, not at all. :lol: I was on the phone (not the throne) :wink: most of the night after talking to you. :lol: :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 pm

My long awaited copy of Yesterday arrived this morning.
As the others have already said in their reviews, the restoration and remastering of the original tapes is amazing; to be able to hear Matt’s voice with such clarity in live concerts from so long ago is almost unbelievable.
I won't go into detail about the song content, as the others have commented on these so admirably. Sufficient to say, they are all gems.
The CD is nicely presented, with an attractive cover picture, and informative sleeve notes by Norman Jopling. The addition of the record covers and photos are also a nice touch.
I thoroughly enjoyed both recordings and thank both Richard and Michele for all their hard work in bringing us yet another glimpse into Matt’s musical past.
You have truly taken us on an extra special journey back to Yesterday.

Marian
:D :D

Administrator
Site Admin

New CD

Post by Administrator » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm

David Durrett from jacksonville, Florida left these notes:

I am CRAZY about the new CD!!! I can’t believe the sound quality. When I realize the first concert is in front of 24,000 people, it just makes the experience that much more intense. And the four songs from 1983 are awesome...Matt was really astute to pick up “Beautiful Noise”...it is so infectious. When I listen to “Born Free” in the car, it sounds like I am AT the concert...it realizes a dream I never imagined I could achieve...hearing your Dad “live.” I might as well be in the front row. It’s not just that the recording is “live,” it’s also that the sound really replicates how you’d hear it in concert. Amazing!!

Lots of love,
David

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 pm

There is a full page advert of Matt's CD "YESTERDAY" towards the back of the "Perfectly Frank" magazine that arrived yesterdaY. The CD cover and an enlarged picture of Matt plus a very good report of how in front of the biggest audience of the legendary Matt's career in Manila, he smashed the record of the previous record set by Nat King Cole.
Other highlights of Matt's career are mentioned plus the song list.
Very nice advert. :) :)

Return to “Yesterday”