An Evening With Matt Monro

The DVD that started it all. Released by Odeon in 2005 it is the only full length live concert known to exist and entered the DVD Music Charts in the number one spot. In fact it remains Matt's only No 1 chart position in his home country
Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:17 am

Hi All,
Paul from Toronto here. Been a while since I've been able to get on so I'm very glad to be back! I think I already know the answer to my question, but here goes: I would absolutely love a copy of the DVD 'An Evening With Matt Monro'. I assume it's only available in PAL which means it wont play on a North American DVD player, correct? Being one of his younger fans, I never did get to see him live and was too young to remember him on TV. :roll:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Paul--I have just checked out Amazon, and they describe it as being "Multiregion" , which means it will play in any dvd player, anywhere in the world. It really is a super dvd, and definately worth trying to get hold of.

Michele has this on sale in her new "Webstore", I see.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm not too sure if that is correct Marian (but I could be wrong), as PAL is for European DVD players, and NTSC system is used for the American DVD players :wink: But ANY DVD disc should play on ANY PC or Laptop :D :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:53 pm

The PAL and NTSC systems mainy relate to tv's and videos. As far as I know the dvds go by region only. I know that if I buy a dvd from USA that says Multiregion, [or region 0] it will play in my dvd player that would normally only play region 2 dvds.

But again-I am no expert on these things.

Perhaps someone from US who has bought a multiregion dvd from over here would like to comment?
Mariana

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:58 am

Thanks for the responses. Maybe you're both right! I've just been checking out Amazon UK (it's not on Amazon Canada or US). Looking at the DVD help, it says that All Regions will play anywhere, but since the format is PAL, that format won't play on North American machines. In the past, I've had PAL video's converted to NTSC. So now I'm confused :? Anyhow, I sent an email to Amazon's customer care so hopefully they'll be able to let me know. I soooo want this DVD!

Paul T.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 am

With DVD's when it's multiregion what makes a difference is not your DVD player (which should play NTSC and PAL discs regardless) it's your TV!

In the UK the vast majority of TV's will playback NTSC video with no problem. However in the USA there are not many TV's that will playback PAL. Canada? I don't know! But if you have a manual for your TV i'm sure it will tell you.

This is where it starts to get technical

The way TV pictures are stored on a DVD is identical in PAL and NTSC apart from the frame rate. UK TV (PAL) runs at 25 frames per second. USA (NTSC) runs at 29.97 frames per second (Also known as 30 drop frame) The picture is also at a slightly different resolution. However both are saved to disc as MPEG2 files.

If you TV won't work with PAL then your computer will most certainly play it back for you - they don't care about frame rates and resolution!

Hope this helps

Richard

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks Richard---that has cleared it in my head now-I guess I was half right !!
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 pm

I think I was about half right too :wink: well, about the DVDs playing on your PC :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks a lot Mariana, Robert and Richard. It all makes sense now! When I did play a PAL video in my VCR, it was all snow/static, but the sound could be heard, although not the way I would like to hear it! And all this time I thought it was the video source! A short while back we bought a 42" LCD TV and I also recently did my bi-annual PC replacement, so I'm hoping one or the other (or both) will work. :lol: Anyhow, I'm going to snag a copy.

BTW, I did receive a voluminous response from Amazon UK telling me everything except what I needed to know. Bottom line, they couldn't answer such a product-specific question.

Thanks again folks!

Paul.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:02 am

Hi Paul--glad we could help out---you will not regret buying this dvd, it really is great!
Mariana

phyliss

Re: An Evening With Matt Monro

Post by phyliss » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm

hi paul

i have many of matts dvds. however they do not record on my dvd player,so what i do is that i have someone here in the states re record it to the american system. they do work on my small portable dvd player, however i enjoy watching matt on my large flat screen tv. his enjoyable to watch.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:03 am

Eh folks, just here nosing around and found these posts. Update, when I first started this post, I didn't have any PAL DVDs so I didn't know if I could play them on my PC. Already established that I couldn't play them on my PVR but a while back, I got wind that Odeon was releasing a DVD of D Shirley Bassey which was a compilation of her TV appearances as well as clips from her own TV show so I ordered it and it turns out it does play on my PC. This machine seems to play anything and everything.

And what's more, I have a program that converts all wmv and most other formats to DVD and recently found out that it also converts PAL to NTSC. What a happy camper I am now. I can finally get some MM DVDs!
:D
Paul.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am

If you bought a multi region dvd player you could play dvd's from the UK, I have one and can play NTSC, PAL etc:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 am

Yes, I know, they've been around forever. But I've had a PVR now for about three years (and now have two of them) and they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, the multiregional PVRs that play DVDs are not prevalant in these parts (nor are/were the VCRs).

karl

Post by karl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:43 am

It's the same here Paul, you won't get a multiregion machine in a regular electrical store but there is a store in many cities called Richer Sounds that sell them.

By the way what's a PVR?

Return to “An Evening With Matt Monro”