DVD Review

The DVD that started it all. Released by Odeon in 2005 it is the only full length live concert known to exist and entered the DVD Music Charts in the number one spot. In fact it remains Matt's only No 1 chart position in his home country
Administrator
Site Admin

DVD Review

Post by Administrator » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm

Mr Terence Lee from George Town, Penang Malaysia

This dvd is very well produced and scripted. Towards the end when Michele and Mickie spoke of Matt's illness, I found it very touching and there was not a dry eye in my living room. I just love the full performances of 9 songs taken from various tv programs. These are indeed rare. In addition, there are 9 song clips. For the Matt Monro fan, this dvd is quintessential viewing. At first I hesitated to buy as I already have the previous dvd "An Evening With Matt Monro". I am so glad I made the correct decision to purchase as there is no redundancy at all. Matt Monro was simply the best!

TerenceLee

my review

Post by TerenceLee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks for printing my review of the dvd which I wrote for Amazon UK. However I can't view it at that site for some strange reason although the five-star rating I awarded it is there. Can anyone else read it at Amazon UK?

Lena & Harry

Post by Lena & Harry » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:57 am

Yes Terence. We've just read it on Amazon uk.
A good review too.
Both DVD's are treasures to keep.
:D

rjmdrum

An Evening With Matt Monro DVD Question

Post by rjmdrum » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:19 am

Hello,
I am a longtime Matt Monro fan from the USA who is wondering if it is
possible to get "An Evening With Matt Monro" DVD in region 0 NTSC format. I see it releasd as a PAL verions only.
Any chance of this DVD beign available for the US?
Regards
RJM

Administrator
Site Admin

DVD

Post by Administrator » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:11 am

Nice to have a new member on board, don't forget to add your member profile and avator so we can see you.
Both DVD's released by Odeon are only in the PAL format. Apparantly it is possible to watch them on a laptop/computer worldwide. Unfortunately Odeon have the rights to this release for 7 years, a bad mistake on my part and although they had promised it would be released, it seems that they will not follow through with this.
Sorry for that, the only hope would be if an American company bought the rights to the footage and released it over there in NTSC format.

rjmdrum

THanx for the reply

Post by rjmdrum » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:03 am

That's unfortunate. I'll have to settle for the PAL version as I have multiregional DVD players here but it would be nice to get this over to the US market.
Regards
RJm

cyril boylett

Matt's DVD

Post by cyril boylett » Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 am

Hi fans, we've recently viewed " An Evening With". What wonderful memories,what a joy to see & hear that magnificent voice again. My mate Chris, who lives near me on the Aussie Gold Coast,used to jam with "bowey" Parsons from Tuffnell Pk, after they were both demobbed. This was at the Boston Pk pub. Terry went to Chris's 21st birthday party, & took a shine to a vivacious red head, not realising that she was Chris's new girl friend. Terry went to sleep in a comfortable armchair & awoke to find his mouth fullof spent matches!

They both kept loosely in touch over years, until Matt's concert in Sydney, when he announced from the stage thjat it was Chris & Nita's 21st wedding anniversary. After the show they got together, and Matt showed his delight by wrapping his arms around Nita [the red head]. Chris dived away & when they asked where he was going? he retorted........., to find another ash tray!!

I caught up with Matt in Adelaide in 66/67 & again in Geelong in th early 80's I think, & knew immediately that all was not with his health.

It was the measure of Matt's generosity & humble warmth, that even after reaching the top pinnacle in entertainment in the USA, he would generously give his time to an old friend of yesteryear. But that was the man, the best. A mega star one moment and a wonderful caring human being, the next. Fortunately we can all be thankful he has passed on these qualities to his offspring, Michele & Matt jnr. May their efforts reap the rewards they richly deserve. Good listening to you all Cyril, Chris & Nita.

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu May 25, 2006 6:27 am

Cyril

What a wonderful posting!

Thanks very much for this

Gray

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu May 25, 2006 8:02 am

Yes we agree with Gray, a lovely story Cyril of Matt. Thank you.
Oh!! by the way Cyril, our hopes of winning the footie World Cup are soaring day by day now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu May 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi Lena & Harry

Can I be rude and butt-in here (you have mentioned a subject i can talk for hours on: football!!!)
England winning the World Cup: now there's a thought.. is everyone out there doing a Yuri Geller and thinking positive thoughts? Can we heal Mr Rooney in time?
After three, everybody chant: "Heal metatarsal, heal metatarsal!"
Is Harry a Middlesborough fan? I seem to remember that he is.
I queued for hours in boiling heat at Elland Rd, Leeds to get tickets for the play-off final. Then on Sunday travelled all the way down to Cardiff in the pouring rain, spent money I can ill afford, got battered 3-0 by Watford who deservedly got promotion, lost my coat, got stuck in traffic on the M4 and got then got rained on again.
I finally got home in the early hours of Monday morning, dragged myself into work and a colleague said, "did you enjoy it then"? :)
Anyway, I waffled on enough, but see I told you...mention football and I'm anybodies! :)

Gray

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu May 25, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Gray, I don't particularly support Middlesbrough, even though I was born there, it's just probably a reason to watch how they are doing.
I've been in London since I was Nine so consider myself well and truly a Londoner, and so look out mainly for the home teams. I ran a boys club and coached in my youth and younger days, and have a very young member in our family training at Chelsea, and others we support for various reasons are Crystal Palace and Arsenal.
Sorry about your day on Sunday Gray it certainly wasn't your day, and your team losing, but we were also on the M4 and stopped on the motorway, a thousand strong army of Watford supporters congregated in there, so we planned and made sure we avoided the expected congestion on our return journey.
Now, the football Gray, as far as Rooney, it's like carrots to a donkey waiting for the final news of weather he'll go or won't go.
We've put all visitors and visits on hold for those three weeks, can't wait for the first kick off.
What a dream, to lift that cup Gray, I was at the 1966 Cup Final at Wembley and both Lena and I were at the Semi-Final with Portugal. :lol: :lol:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat May 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Hello Lena and Harry, Gray and everyone. Just under two week's to go now to the start of the World Cup final's and 14 day's to England's opening game. I cannot decide if it is worth risking Wayne Rooney, as just look how long it took Michael Owen to recover from a similar type of injury. If Rooney is fit for the knock out stages of the World Cup (let's hope England reach that far)!! let us hope the injury stand's up to the training and the rough and tumble of the matches. These important matches need player's to be 100% fit. Don't forget Rooney will not have trained for about six weeks or so.

Now Harry, you were at the 1966 World Cup final, were you. You lucky ....... you certainly seem to have been around a lot. 8) 8)
I remember watching the Final on our new small TV at the time, in Black and White of course. I was only young then. How did you get hold of a ticket for the match Harry, they must have been like goldust at the time. But I bet the atmosphere in Wembley Stadium must have been electryfying for
the World Cup final Harry. What fantastic memories of the match you must have. Were you in line with the "nearly goal", did you see the ball cross the line. Even on TV replay's the goal looked debatable.
But not many people can say that the were at the 1966 World Cup Final at Wembley Stadium when England beat West Germany 4-2.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat May 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi again Lena and Harry. Did anyone watch the Soccer Aid football match on TV tonight. What did you think about the quality of the game. I thought the standard was very good, especially from the non - footballer's on the pitch. Johnathan Wilkes, plus the red headed striker the actor Dein I think his name was had lot's of quality about their game, I thought.

Just going back to your team Arsenal last week Harry, they were very unlucky not to win. If the keeper Jan's Leehman had not been sent off so early, it would have been a completely different ball game (pardon the pun). Arsenal did superbly to play that well with just 10 men for most of the match. They were definitely hard done to by the referee. Even FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the referee should have allowed the goal to stand, then given Leehman a yellow card. I bet you felt really down after the match had finished Harry, I did too and i'm from up north.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat May 27, 2006 11:40 pm

Yes well Robert, the decision's been made to include Rooney, but not for the opening matches, in fact it's not really certain if he'll be ready at any stage of the game. So lets concentrate on the rest of the squad and the talented players that we've got instead of the risky liabilities.
Robert, The World Cup 1966 was a day that I will cherish for always.
The first game I saw was England V France the score 2-0 when we topped the qualifying round. I was then lucky to get a ticket for the unforgettable game with Argentina which was a day of heavy thunderstorms for the quarter final and with the sending off of Antonia Ratin. England won 1-0, and manager Alf Ramsey stopped the England team exchanging shirts after the match.
Lena, and her brother and I were at the semi-final when we played Portugal, the tension in the final ten minutes was electrifying with pressure piling on particularly from their superb player Eusebio, that final whistle couldn't come quickly enough. I'd never seen Wembley like that before, ever, until the great Final, that was with Lena's Brother. We paid £6 each for tickets, the correct value 25 shillings black market and that was for standing but I'd never sat at a football match anyway, that's how times have changed and believe it or not supporters from both England and Germany mixed that day. That goal debate could go on, but we still won 4-2 and well deserved too.
I still have my treasured programmes and our World Cup Willie lion, the team's mascot.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun May 28, 2006 12:18 am

Thank you for your informative reply Lena and Harry. The two matches I remember most from the 1966 World Cup final's are the games against Argentina, a quarter final I believe, and the final v. West Germany. I do remember Ratin being sent off, as they were a very dirty team those Argentine player's, werent they. You cannot believe either, that both set's of supporter's mingled like that in those days. It just show's how thing's have changed for the worse these days.

Return to “An Evening With Matt Monro”