An Evening with Matt Monro - DVD

The DVD that started it all. Released by Odeon in 2005 it is the only full length live concert known to exist and entered the DVD Music Charts in the number one spot. In fact it remains Matt's only No 1 chart position in his home country
Administrator
Site Admin

An Evening with Matt Monro - DVD

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:55 am

The one that started it all, released last year - reached No 1. in the DVD Music Charts.
Did you enjoy it?
Was the fact that it was in black and white make it more nostalgic?
Which song was your favourite?
Did you buy the special edition? Did you enjoy the book?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Yes I love this dvd. It was made more nostalgic by the black and white.

It says "Limited Collectors Edition " on the front, so I guees that would be the special edition.

The book was great--loads of information, and photos--particularly liked the discography section.

My favourite song is [ like Michele] "What to do". First time I had heard this song , although I have heard it since.

Marian
Mariana

phylliskaye

"An Evening with Matt Monro," captures Matt's esse

Post by phylliskaye » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Pull up a chair and enjoy, “An Evening with Matt Monro,” and that’s what it was for me, an enjoyable, touching evening. I kept hitting replay, listening again to his passionate voice, his songs, and after I watched it all, I played it again right from the beginning. He seemed to really enjoy singing for the folks. He conveys an easy style with his performance and his charming and natural personality shows through; I felt like I was right there in the room with him and listening to the best voice I’d ever heard, velvety, and lush and sometimes slightly haunting. He makes every song “uniquely his own.” Add to that, the bonus songs at the end, these alone are worth more then the price of the DVD; you will want to watch and listen again and again.

For me, it was serendipitous that I discovered this melodious singer; I was searching the Internet for good music and to my jubilation, this man with his unique and extraordinary voice popped up. When he sang, I felt his words; his songs are meant to evoke emotion as well as be heard. He truly was one-of-a-kind; I couldn’t help but ask myself, “how come I missed out on him for so long?????” If you are a Matt Monro fan, you will really enjoy this DVD, I sure do.
Phyllis Kaye

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks for your review of "An Evening With Matt Monro" Phyllis. Glad you enjoyed the DVD and that you "found" our Matt...........................eventually :wink: :wink: Matt was popular in the US in the 60's, so thats probably why you missed him over the past twenty or thirty years, but at least you have finally found the greatest singer in the world, in the end Phyllis :D :D I hope you become a regular of this Matt Monro message board. Today though, there doesn't seem to be many people about on the forum, which is very unusual. But please join us all in the future, won't you Phyllis, as Matt and his beautiful voice and his glorious music is an absolute pleasure to discuss, as you will hopefully find out in the future Phyllis.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Matt Monro Phyllis. You'll find many friendly folk who love his singing here. :lol: :lol:
There hasn't been anyone on the forum much today Robert as no-one could access it for a few hours. Luckily Michele sorted it out. :wink:

Marian :lol:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Phyllis. Glad to hear that you had so much pleasure and enjoyment watching Matt's wonderful performance and listening to his glorious voice on this very special DVD.
We discuss Matt's music, and his current and forthcoming CDs, and there is a great deal of Matt's music out there right now to enjoy.
So join in with our discussions of Matt and other artists too. :) :)

john

Post by john » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi Phyllis, nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum. :wink:

phylliskaye

Thanks to all of you for your warm walcome.

Post by phylliskaye » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:11 am

Hi Everyone,
I appreciate your warm words of welcome, I couldn’t access the forum and thought I was doing something wrong, it’s good to know it's all up and running now. I will be happy to join in the discussions; and will have a picture and info about myself (coming soon), so you’ll have a face to associate with.
Like all you, I really enjoy listening to Matt Monro and am listening to his CD's everyday.
Thanks again,
Phyllis

Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:42 pm

I have just watched this DVD. It is the first time I have ever seen the great man singing live and it was spine chillingly good. He had a very fine ability to hold a note and was very good at talking to his audience.

But you know, if the Beatles put the swing into the 60s, then Matt Monro sang the soundtrack to it. Fabulous!

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:58 am

A real treat then eh Chris. It's all here on this DVD isn't it... a talented vocal genius with charm, wit, and charisma all rolled into one. :)

keithgood838

Post by keithgood838 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Chris
To Matt himself his Evening With ... he probably regarded
as a routine professional performance. To the rest of us,
however, it is a magical musical experience. A multi-faceted
gem, a less obviously brilliant element of which was Matt's
mastery of the microphone. On one occasion he actually gives
the cable a hefty heave across the stage as though to say,
'We're going to have a ball tonight, come what may.' Unlike
most modern-day vocalists who almost swallow the microphone,
in some of Matt's close-ups it isn't visible at all.
I agree with Michele and Marian(a), What To Do? is
especially appealing, I think because the song gives full rein
to Matt's exquisite command of cadence:

Those unique vocal tones from heaven sent,
each mellow 'changing cadence rich and deep';
a sound that singers hear in wonderment,
then weep.

Keith
Last edited by keithgood838 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:45 am

It was Brilliant H+L. True entertainment at its best. Good to see that Matts Musical director is still around too.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:24 pm

It is brilliant Chris, and if you haven't seen the DVDs "A Portrait Of" and "Matt At The Movies" with extra footage of Matt singing a few of his greatest songs, then get them now. Both excellent gems to have. It certainly is great to see Matt's music director Colin Keyes still around and working with Matt Jnr Chris. He was, and still is the best in the business. :lol: :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:39 pm

and...Colin looks really good too, doesn't seem to have aged at all over the years. :D :D
Marian.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:19 am

That's actually true he doesn't. :lol: :lol:

Return to “An Evening With Matt Monro”