The Ultimate Performer

The very latest release from the Odeon camp this showcases 23 of Matt's greatest television performances including the shows of Tony Bennett, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck, Dave King and David Frost
Michele Monro

The Ultimate Performer

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm

I hope you are all as excited as I am with this forthcoming release on 16th February. As always would love to hear your views and reviews on the product.

john

Post by john » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Can't wait for this Michele, I am really excited about this release. I see there have been a few extra performances added to it. 8)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:22 am

I think most of us have preordered. and are eagerly awaiting the arrival.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:06 am

If it is from HMV, then you will probably have to wait until March to play it :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:42 am

:) - very funny, Robert.

Yes, Michele, can't wait for this release, really looking forward to it arriving through my letterbox.

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Great news! I've just had an email from HMV to say that The Ultimate Performer has been posted and is on its way.
I can hardly wait, and it's early too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marian :D

john

Post by john » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm

We have just watched Matt On TV, I will put my full review in a few days time so as not to spoil it for you all, but it is just wonderful, my head is still pounding with the excitement, sounds a bit silly I know, but you have all got a real treat in store. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm

How did you get your copy of the DVD so quickly john :?:

john

Post by john » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:54 pm

Must have been lucky Robert. It sounds as though there could be one or two more lucky ones in the next day or so. :wink:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:43 am

I cannot wait !!
Mariana

Gray

Post by Gray » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks for letting us know, John. :)
No sight of mine yet (from Amazon) :(

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:59 pm

You are in for a treat - and whilst I haven't seen the finished product yet, I have seen the vast majority of the footage included.

The Dave King show is my favourite. It's the second earliest footage still in existence - The earliest being from a late 50's show.

I discovered this footage still exited a couple of years back after a fair amount of nagging to Granada International who own the rights to the old ATV catalogue. However the ATV archive isn't very well catalogued in terms of guest stars. So if you go in searching for Matt Monro you get only a couple of programmes. Thanks to Michele’s exhaustive research into Matt’s TV career
I was able to trace exactly what exists and where (At least as far as the UK is concerned – The rest of the world is proving somewhat harder to tie down!). This at least was able point them in the direction of Dave King and Saturday Variety just before the final deadline.

I am convinced that the ATV archive have a few more things too, but until it’s properly catalogued (which they seem in no hurry to do) we’ll have to keep our fingers crossed!

Richard

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:04 pm

As I was the lucky one to receive my copy a little early, I thought I would put my review on. As so far I have only watched "Matt On TV" I shall do this in two parts. So, here goes, and like I said before, and echoing the words of Richard, you are in for a treat.
Matt On TV
Firstly, I have to say that the picture quality and the sound quality are both superb, ranging from the early 60's to 1984.
Starting off with Mr and Mrs Music, Matt sings a lovely version of "I Love The Little Things" and then "Don't Sleep In The Subway". Then sings part of "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love". Absolutely brilliant.
Stars on Sunday sees Matt singing his very own "Born Free", a slightly different arrangemnt, but terrific.
Matt sings the lovely "Just A Heartbreak Ago" on "Frost On Sunday", followed by "Hava Naguila", the audience loved it.
One I have been waiting for is "If I Never Sing Another Song", this was from What's On from 1979, it was well worth the wait, one of my favourite songs.
Wheeltappers and Shunters from 1974 sees Bernard Manning introducing Matt singing a great up tempo "Around The World", then part of "Let Me Sing A Happy Song", which is comical as he does an impression of Al Jolson, befor being interupted by Colin Crompton who asks him to sing "Born Free". Superb!
Matt sings George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity" on Roger Whittaker's show, which of course Matt released as as single in 1971. (Lee loved this one, by the way, he hadn't heard that song before and is now a favourite of his). Needless to say I loved it also, then Matt sang with Roger Whittaker, Sandie Shaw and the Fantasticks "Thanks To The Lord".
The Liberace Show is another winner, Matt sings "On A Clear Day" and the ever popular "All Of A Sudden", and then duets with Liberace on a Brit medley, and finishes off with a comical version of "Those Were The Days" with Liberace and other guests.
Matt guests on Tony Bennett's show and sings a duet with Tony of "Chicago", another we have all been waiting for.
Tarby and Friends from 1984 sees Matt's, very sadly final tv performance, if I was to choose a favourite, this would have to be it. He sings "Todo Pasara/All Of A Sudden" and this is Matt at his VERY best. He was always at his very best, I know, but this performance is tops.
Matt sings "My Love and Devotion" from the Dave King Show from the early 60's, excellent quality for the year, then a comical duet with Dave of "Singin' In The Rain".
The Saturday Variety Show gives us 4 helpings of songs
"You'd Better Love Me", followed by a super version of "Walk Away", then "Born Free" and finishing with "We're Gonna Change The World". Pure gold!
I don't think I have missed anything out, I shall put my second review of the newly remastered Australian concert over the weekend.
Thankyou so much to Michele, Richard and everyone who worked on this project. This is just the Best ever!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm

I can't take much credit for this one, just a bit of research.

Michele did all the hard work, pushing them to dig deeper into the archives, writing scripts and notes etc.

If everything goes to plan the BBC release should be just as exciting.

Richard

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 pm

Sound's really exciting john 8) what a great value package this DVD is :) is the Manilla concert also there on CD, john ??

Return to “Ultimate Performer”