The Ultimate Performer

The very latest release from the Odeon camp this showcases 23 of Matt's greatest television performances including the shows of Tony Bennett, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck, Dave King and David Frost
Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 am

I would stay with Amazon Gray. The 19th is only tomorrow and HMV will take 4 days at least from Guernsey. :wink:
Marian :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 am

Amazon are generally on the ball, in fact we were going to cancell HMV and order from Amazon, but we are surprised that HMV have delivered so quickly this time. Usually when you receive an e-mail telling you that it's in the post, they usually mean in Guernsey. :lol: :lol:

john

Post by john » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 am

Gray said 19th March Marian. :lol: That is a long time to wait Gray.
I don't blame you for doing that.

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks John. Senior moments surfacing again. :oops: :oops:
Yes, that sure is a long time to wait Gray. I wonder if someone there has had a senior moment too!!
Hope you get a copy from somewhere soon.

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:31 pm

How much clearer is the Australian concert in this new DVD?
Can someone please comment? Thanks.

Gray

Post by Gray » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:15 pm

:)

Thanks, Marian & John.

Yes it is hard to believe, but Amazon did give me a date of the 19th March!!!!

I hope it's because they've sold out of their stock :)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 am

We had been looking forward to receiving and watching this latest double DVD/ CD set, and can only echo what John and Marian have said in their reports. We thought the case with the Black and White picture of Matt on the front was really enhanced with the Silvery Blue surround giving it a luxury and attractive effect, and Micheles liner notes in the booklet is always essential in our view giving information of Matt's musical career particularly to newer fans. We watched the DVD last night and thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, and what better way to begin than to the strains of "Born Free" "From Russia With Love." "All Of A Sudden"
Matt Jnr did a really superb job throughout of introducing the stars and celebrities such as that great duo Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch, from one of their shows Mr and Mrs. Tony wrote Matt's 1964 Eurovision entry "I Love The Little Things" and conducting the band here, Matt sang Three songs including the Eurovision entry and with an appearance of Scott Walker from this show in 1968
(David) "Frost On Sunday" February 1970 gave us Matt's incomparable rendition of "Just A Heartbreak Ago"
We were amazed at the clarity achieved through the digital remastering considering the years of these TV appearances. Just brilliant !!!!
The Wheeltappers social club with Bernard Manning was regular weekly viewing and here we have Matt singing "Let Me Sing A Happy Song "
Roger Whittiker show had Sandie Shaw guesting along with Matt.
Liberace's show was one of the highlights for us, a fantastic pianist and great entertainer, singing with Matt, a great medley of songs with a British flavour, complete with a Union Jack on the piano .
Matt sings on Jimmy Tarbuck's show Todo Pasara.
Tony Bennett duetting with Matt with "Chicago," is entertainment as good as it can possibly get, but the highlight for us was the "Dave King" show with Matt's stunning rendition of "My Love And Devotion." if there is a version to better this, then we haven't heard it. It simply knocks your socks off.
I've watched it Five times already, breathtaking.
This is a wonderful treasure of entertainment, and we want to thank Michele in particular, and to Richards for his involvement with this package and again to Matt Jnr for his informative introductions. :lol: :lol:
A great addition to our collection at an exceptionall reasonable cost. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Lena & Harry Smith on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 am

Thank's for the review L&H........... but I Love the Little Thing's is from 1964 :wink: :)

I said it would be March before someone watched it (but that was when ordering from HMV) :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 am

A slip of the finger Robert, and past my bedtime. :wink: :lol:

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks Lena & Harry for a great review.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks Grey, Hope you get your copy very soon. You'll love it. :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 am

Thank you for your great review Lena and Harry. I enjoyed reading it. Everyone so far has seemed to find different aspects to write about, there is so much brilliant content in this latest offering :D :D....
and to think we still have Matt at the BBC to look forward to. :wink: :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am

We have played the CD " Live In Manila" now, and can right away hear Matt's humour coming through after he sings "Walk Away"
This collection of Fourteen songs are definitely among Matt's finest.
Glad to see "Somewhere" from West Side Story is included and "I love The Little Things" that gets immediate acknowledgement and applause from the audience. Matt describes the song "Yesterday" as for teenagers. :lol:
Other tracks include "Around The World" . "Come To Me" "One Day" From "Russia With love" "Exodus " "On A Clear Day" "Al Of A Sudden"
and... Oh yes he sings "Can This Be Love", Can't remember...Have I mentioned at all in the past that this is one of my top favourites ?? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Well according to the audience reaction here, i'm not the only one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A truly great CD.
And Yes Marian we still have "MATT AT THE BBC " to look forward too.
Bring it on. :lol: :lol:

john

Post by john » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am

Great review again Lena and Harry. I told you that you'd love it. :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:07 pm

You did John. We are going to look at the digitally remastered "An Evening With Matt " later this evening. :lol:

Return to “Ultimate Performer”