The Ultimate Performer

The very latest release from the Odeon camp this showcases 23 of Matt's greatest television performances including the shows of Tony Bennett, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck, Dave King and David Frost
Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes there are no credits for the restoration other than the BBC.

I suspect however it was a man called Jonathan Wood who is the expert there. What he did, i believe, is scan the film in in high definition clean it up in that format, remove film gate wobble, take out scratches, re-grade and then put it through a process called Vidfire.

Basically the original footage is what is known as a telerecording. This was made by filming directly from a TV Screen - not perfect but cheaper than video tape. What Vidfire does is take the film look away from the picture and restore it to closer to how it originally looked when broadcast live or played from video tape. (The original had a few video tape flaws in it so it must have been recorded to video tape on it's original transmission and transferred to film later).

The sound, I don't know (I haven't listened to it closely yet so i can't comment) but on this occasion it wasn't me!

Richard

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 pm

As I was more removed from this project than usual i have posted the following review on Amazon and Play (although it might take a couple of days to appear):-

This DVD is a must for all Matt Monro fans and a fabulous treat for those with a passing interest too.

This set consists of three separate components

1. Matt on TV: A fabulous cross section of material from the Granada, LWT, Yorkshire and ATV vaults introduced by Matt’s son Matt Monro Jnr and scripted by his daughter Michele. It includes appearances from the ‘Dave King Show’ in 1961 (the second earliest surviving footage of Matt) right through to his very last TV appearance on ‘Tarby and Friends’, many of which have not been seen since their first transmission.

Highlights include:
Fabulous duets with Tony Bennett, Dave King and Liberace
Songs from 'Frost on Sunday' including the incredible ‘Hava Nagila’
A four song set from ‘Saturday Variety’
Songs from ‘Mr & Mrs Music’ (with Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent)
and a sublime rendition of George Harrison’s ‘Isn’t it a Pity’ from ‘Whitakers World of Music’ and lots more.

2. An Evening with Matt Monro: This comes from a televised concert in Australia and is the only surviving full concert footage of the great man. Whilst this has been issued before, this time the film has been digitally remastered by the BBC using high definition technology and Vidfire to bring the quality closer to the quality of its original broadcast. It’s not a revelation but it is a definite improvement, the sound has been improved slightly too.

3. Also included is a CD of Matt Live at the Araneta Coliseum in Manila in the Philippines in 1966. This too has been issued elsewhere (and with extra material on ‘Yesterday’ – Night Owl Music) but is a fabulous bonus on a set that is already jam packed with material.

The set isn’t perfect, for some reason Matt on TV is presented in widescreen when all of the original shows were 4:3 ratio. This means the pictures have the top and bottom cropped and zoomed in which isn’t very kind to the picture quality in places, for some reason the Tony Bennett footage comes from what looks like a VHS dub rather than the master tapes and do we really need four versions of Born Free?

But these are minor gripes the performances are wonderful, Matt’s singing is never less than superb and makes even the hardest songs look and sound effortless.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:02 am

:?: When "An Evening with Matt Monro" was first released onto DVD, shouldn't it have been cleaned up first before being released. I know it was rush released, replacing "A Portrait of Matt Monro" which was released later.......................but An Evening with MM sold thousand's in it's first week of release, getting to #1 in the DVD music chart, but all those people who bought the original release will probably not buy this second "edition", so their original copy's will be of an inferior quality. Maybe the release could have been held back just a couple of month's to clean it up properly.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am

The picture quality from tv shows of the past must also be determined by the lighting and stage sets used at the time, as in a live show. This must surely effect the final outcome and what can be achieved to improve the overall picture quality.

Great review Richard. I look forward to seeing them on Amazon and Play.
There is one already on Amazon from a C.Fuller which is good too.
Hopefully there will be many more like this.
It would be nice to see some in the papers too.

Marian :D :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:53 am

Yes, picture quality and sound will improve just through learning and from experience. :) . A. detailed review such as this will be a great help Richard, and we also saw the nice review from C. Fuller. :lol:

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Robert

The points you raised are very relevant ones. I am one of those who have not bought the new edition yet. What shall I do with the original DVD which was quite expensive in the first place?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Yes, I know what you mean Terence :) also the original "collector's release" of An Evening with Matt Monro contained the Matt Monro book too. Look's like we will all have spare copy of the DVD.............as a standy :wink: but I must say the new DVD is tremendous value (3 in 1) so to speak :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Continue to enjoy it Terence and as Robert says you have the book too. :D
I'm sure the original 'Evening With' was cleaned up a good deal before its release from when it was first discovered anyway.
This new release has so much more, and is an amazing bargain at the moment. I see someone is already selling copies on ebay for £24.99!
Marian :wink:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Lot cheaper at Amazon :) did you see Matt's Gold Disc for the Ultimate CD on eBay Marian...............going for £80 :) but it is one of 50 Gold disc's that were made, so not quite an "exclusive" :wink: :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Yes, I've seen them on there before Robert. I reckon they are made on demand for sale. My guess would be there are more than 50 of these around but I suppose I could be wrong. :wink: :wink:
Marian :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:53 pm

We just look at the original "Evening With " and remember the excitement it created when we purchased it, and opened it and couldn't watch it quick enough :lol: :lol:
Ours will be with us for evermore :lol: :lol:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes L&H, the build up to the release was electrifying wasn't it.....................like a young child looking forward to Christmas Day......................but more so :D :D :D :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Yes, that sums it up Robert. :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Yes, that will always make it special. :D :D

Marian :D

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:22 pm

When the original dvd came out I don't think anyone knew just how succesful it was going to be, to Odeon at the time it was probably just another archive release.

When it went to number one I bet they were extremely surprised.

At least the concert is now available in the best quality it's ever likely to be. which is more than can be said for a large number of archive TV releases. Hancock's Half Hour would really benefit from the same treatment amongst many other telerecordings that have come out on DVD in the past few years. The problem is that it is a slow and expensive process and companies don't want to spend the money.

The main reason for buying the set (and the most footage) caomes from the TV feature and would be worth the price even without the concert.

I agree with what you say Marian, the lighting does have a lot to do with the quality of the picture, and you must remember this wasn't in a TV studio but in a real night club. Australia also got TV much later than an awful lot of countries (1956) so they were still learning when this was made. These days a whole lighting rig would be installed by the TV companies, back then they would have made do with whatever was in the club.

I'm sure we are all greatful that it survives thanks to Matt himself keeping a copy - It doesn't exist in Australia at all!

Richard

Return to “Ultimate Performer”