The Ultimate Performer

The very latest release from the Odeon camp this showcases 23 of Matt's greatest television performances including the shows of Tony Bennett, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck, Dave King and David Frost
len & freda

Post by len & freda » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Just got round to watching "The Ultimate Performer" and listening to the CD Absolutely brilliant.
Have ordered "Matt at the BBC" which is being released on the 27th April

Vance_Adair

Ultimate Performer

Post by Vance_Adair » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:11 pm

As everyone has stated, this is an excellent DVD. I copy below a brief review I posted on Amazon last month.

Another glorious addition to the matt Monro catalogue. It is superb value, of course, but it is the content that is truly extraordinary. The remastered DVD of the live performance has been done with sensitivity and care - over restoration is always a danger in projects such as these. Thankfully that is not the case here.

The TV performances are, similarly, a joy. The somewhat gaudy sets are sure to raise a smile to those of you whose memory extends back to the 1970s - but the voice is as beautiful as ever. All the hits are here, but the addition of seldom heard performances like Matt's cover of George Harrison's 'Isn't It A Pity' is sure to delight Matt's fans. Matt's last television appearance is also included, from Tarby and Friends in 1984. I don't think I have heard a finer performance of 'Todo Pasara/All of a Sudden.' It is a very nuanced and emotional performance delivered with a voice whose vigor belied the fact that this exceptional talent would be taken from us barely a few months after the programme aired.

An absolutely indispensable addition to the library of anyone who loves great music performed by one of the greatest ever exponents of popular song.

john

Post by john » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:47 pm

I have been watching The Ultimate Performer again this evening. I just think the whole disc is wonderful. Not long to wait for Matt at the BBC now. :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:18 am

That all depends where we ordered our copy's from john :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

john

Post by john » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:31 am

I don't think mine will be here any earlier than the 27th Robert. It says the 20th at Townsend Records, but I am not expecting it this coming week. I got the other cd's I ordered this morning, and it said Matt at the BBC would follow.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:38 am

Well I ordered. Frankie Vaughan's DVD/CD and "Matt At The BBC" from Amazon and arranged that they would be posted together, and had a surprise when Frankie Vaughans package arrived yesterday with a letter stating that the second item from this order would be delivered later but at no extra charge for postage. :roll: :roll:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:48 am

I think Amazon still say release date 4th May :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

keithgood838

Post by keithgood838 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm

I think it's time I contributed a few threads of thought to this tapestry. Surely Matt was a television producer's dream booking. Superb vocals with the bonus of comedy thrown in. Matt's carefree good humour was the perfect
counterpoint to his masterful singing, of big ballads especially. Despite the misgivings I share with Jon, about Liberace, I really enjoyed his lighthearted duet with Matt almost as much, I guess, as the performers themselves. Today, it's fitting to mention their joyful, flag-waving rendition of songs composed here. I thought I had watched every one of Matt's television performances, however, I was agreeably surprised to discover I had missed
several. The Ultimate Performer is a treasured addition to my collection of Matt Monro music; and to think we have 'Matt at the BBC' to look forward to. Isn't life grand?
Keith

Return to “Ultimate Performer”