Matt Monro The Ultimate Performer

The very latest release from the Odeon camp this showcases 23 of Matt's greatest television performances including the shows of Tony Bennett, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck, Dave King and David Frost
Clint

Matt Monro The Ultimate Performer

Post by Clint » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm

What can I say? I bought the Two Disc Set from Amazon, I got it today and I have never stoped playing it all day, it has been on constant, if not the CD. the DVD. Matt was a LEGEND, fantastic singer but also an entertainer too, I really love the quote that Matt says before he started to sing From Russia With Love, he says he was asked to do Bond. The CD, DVD is fantastic, its a must for Matt Monro fans and I am so glad the reel was discovered. I have a rare medical problem called Arthrogryposes, in 1974 I was in hospital here in Edinburgh, Matt was in Edinburgh for a couple of nights, I do not know how he found out about me being in hospital but the sister in the ward came and said that there was a call for me, at the time patients were not alowed in the duty room, who was it none other than Mr. Matt Monro himself on the other side of the phone, every Christmas after that I got a Christmas Card from him, That is the type of man he was, a GENTLEMAN, and LEGEND. The Matt Monro The Ultimate Performer, CD, DVD has songs Walk Away, Yesterday There's A Place For Us, and even a song I was after for years, it was the Song Matt enterd in the Eurovision Contest with.....I Love The Little Things, it was second, it should have won it, the one that did win the contest was rubbish, another all time favourite of mine is My Kind Of Girl. I don't thik there will ever be a other singer like Matt, in saying that I have never heard Matt Jnr sing ..... From Bus Driver to International Star, what would we have done if Alma Cogan had not heard Matt.[/b]

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks for your nice post Clint, and welcome to the MM forum :) just a couple of things Clint, the winner of the 1964 contest was Gigliola Cinquetti, a favourite singer of mine, and I liked the winning song too :) also, it was Winifred Atwell who heard and discovered Matt :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mmoldfan

Matt Monro

Post by mmoldfan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:04 am

Just for the record,
Festival of San Remo 1964 in Italy was the one Gigliola Ginquetti won,
also she won again in 1965 with Dio come ti amo
Eurovision ????
Thanks, Gracias
Jorge

keithgood838

Re: Matt Monro

Post by keithgood838 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for your comments, Clint, which we all
heartily endorse. However, there is no need to
start a new thread for each post. We now have
ten separate threads all on the same subject.
The ultimate accolade for The Ultimate Performer.
Keith :wink:

PS May we take it that you are now on the road
to recovery from your traumas under the knife?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi mmoldfan.

Gigliola Cinquetti won Eurovision in 1964 with Oh No Leta, beating Matt into second with I Love the Little Things.

Gigliola came 2nd in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with Si, just beaten by Abba with Waterloo :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Ultimate Performer”