Questions, questions, questions...

Matt's very first job as a thespian in the film 'Satan's Harvest' plus the 30 minute colour special 'Go Go with Monro' starring Roy Castle and Marion Montgomery
Gray

Questions, questions, questions...

Post by Gray » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:24 am

Please can I ask....

1) Michele, is there any news yet on a dvd release of Satan's Harvest?
and
2) Has anyone ever seen the film? Ideally at the cinema on it's original release or since then on telly?

Thank you!

Gray

makthnife

Post by makthnife » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:31 pm

I've seen a VHS copy and while I can't say it's that great of a film (sorry! Script, plot, and editing put a damper on it, mostly), Matt adds a wonderful light to the movie as well as much needed humor.
By all means, nothing to pass up and I hope the DVD plans come through!
If anything, its a fun romp in the wilderness with Mr. M at the helm.
That's just my humble opinion.
:)

Administrator
Site Admin

Satan's Harvest

Post by Administrator » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Gary, you are obviously not reading the "News" each month. This week Odeon advised us that the film will be released later this year. Please see the article for the finer details.

The actual film was released in South Africa and let's put it this way -
it didn't win an oscar!!!!!!!!

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Thanks for replying Mak and Michele, and for your honest reviews!
I shall post my review come July when I get hold of a copy!
If Satan's Harvest never won an oscar so what?! Neither did The Color Purple or The Elephant Man!!
(And oops, sorry I missed the release date info in the News section.)

I have a question please Michele about the cannister of 16mm film sat in your parents garage that became the dvd Matt Monro The Singers Singer, can you or your mum remember how it came to be there?
Who commissioned the film?
It was professionaly edited together and so presumably it was maybe a TV company...do you know if it was ever broadcast?
Presumably your Dad knew he was being filmed..?
What an amazing story that this footage actually ended up in the family garage! Did your Dad have a 16mm projector? Silly question I know but I was thinking how lucky we are that this 16mm reel has survived for all these years and what is it's story.

Any more info on this would be great, if thats OK please. If not OK, then tell me to mind my own business!

Thanks in advance

Gray

Administrator
Site Admin

Garage Film

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:54 am

I tell you, after dad died I packed everything and I do mean everything up and brought it with me. All the cine footage and 3 cannisters were put into the garage, this being a much smaller house.

It layed there for years, I came across it about 10 years ago when technology allowed me to transfer the cine films to Video. I asked everywhere if anyone could transfer the cannister so I could see what was on it. Nobody could do it so they continued to sit there.

Two of the cannisters were marked and I remember one was "The Dentist" but both were cinema movies and I gave them to Bob Monkhouse for his private collection.

Thankfully I kept the other thinking that one day.........

Dad obviously did know he was being filmed as it appears this was an original master, but it was not a Tv company or the like because it is clear only one camera was used and the company name would have been etched onto the cannister tin.

Possibly it was used for Australian promotion, I tell you I wish dad was here now as I have a million questions.

Dad did have a cine camera and proudly showed off his creations, he loved cameras, well all gadgets, but he never liked watching himself as he was too critical of his performance.

I only know it was filmed at The New Twenties Club in Perth, Australia because it mentions it in the film and mum was able to establish the date through the actual Austalian Tour contracts that dad signed.

It remains a mystery but I am sure that several people hold footage of dad somewhere in their own collections. Back in those days the BBC and Redifussion wiped their tapes to make room for new programmes, so as to save on costs. They of course are kicking themselves now.

When companies went out of business or cleared their archieves out, they threw vast amounts of tape into skips.

I know Dave Clark(of the Dave Clark 5) rescued a lot of Ready Steady Go's which he released last year.

The same goes for radio broadcasts, but again I am very sure that several producers made themselves copies and maybe they will come to light one day.

Sorry it is not much of an answer to your question, but maybe one of the fans know someone who knows someone. I have listed all the know TV performances on the "Homepage". Maybe one of our aspiring "Poirots" will track something down to a TV archieve. If so don't forget to let me know

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:52 pm

I Hope Michele is looking in to answer my question please!?

Dad did have a cine camera and proudly showed off his creations, he loved cameras, well all gadgets, but he never liked watching himself as he was too critical of his performance.

Michele I was looking back at your posting to my question regarding Satan's Harvest - please note part of your reply copied above.

My question is, was your father self-critical of his audio recordings as well?
(Not that there is any fault to be found as far as I am concerned!)

Thanks

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 am

I seem to think this is now out on DVD-MATT MONRO AT THE MOVIES -bonus item?
http://www.play.com 'PLAYTRADE'at a fiver incl.P&P.
Last edited by Mark Fox on Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu May 22, 2008 12:49 am

The DVD has been available for 2 years Mark :roll: :roll: .........................Gray's original question is from 2 years ago now.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 am

I must have blinked! :D

Return to “Matt at the Movies”