Save the Russell Davies Show

Yes it is possible, discuss all your other favourite artists here.
Michele Monro

Save the Russell Davies Show

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Dear supporters,

I just signed the petition "BBC Radio 2: Reverse their decision to drop the brilliant Russell Davies Show – Sunday nights at 9pm".

It's important and is one of the last remaining Radio 2 shows which feature the glorious popular music of the pre-rock era, on Radio 2.

Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/b ... e_petition

Thanks!

ROBERT M.

Re: Save the Russell Davies Show

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 am

This is terrible news, I love listening to Russell's show, so interesting to listen to his musical knowledge...............what's up with Radio 2 :roll: :!: .....................I have signed the petition :) :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 am

Me too.Look what happened to Malcolm Laycock.I think it broke his heart to be dropped :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 am

There have been many letters particularly from the "British Dance Band Association" group sent to the BBC controllers regarding this decision to axe the Russell Davies show, and one of the replies received indicated that Russell will be doing a 26 part series programme but in a different slot, but there was no other information given about what type of programme this will be or what time or day it will be broadcast, so we shall see. :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 pm

We have signed the petition and hope that someone takes notice and gives this programme a reprieve. :)

john

Post by john » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I have just signed too.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 am

I signed it too. It's terrible that the radio 2 management feels that anyone under the age of 110 doesn't care about music written before the rock era. I know many people in their 20s that love the classic standards.

Yes, Sandra, what they did to Malcolm Laycock was awful. I had forgotten and read about it in wikipedia. Basically they told him to drop his segment featuring the British dance bands. That was my favourite part of the show. I enjoyed hearing where they would be performing. It's also frustrating that they dropped Sunday Half Hour. And I still miss Melodies for You.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:05 am

Just 18 more needed to sign the petition :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 am

:!: :!: Only two Russell Davies shows to go now..............I think the petition is waiting for a thousand signatures, so it will be too late by then :roll: ................tonight Russell played a lovely tribute to David Jacobs, but there was no mention of Davids fondness for our Matt ..................David Jacobs had the perfect initials for a DJ :) :)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes Robert, a lovely tribute to David Jacobs from Russell Davies.
Last Friday week, Desmond Carrington was clearly overcome with emotion when he made a very moving tribute to David who was his colleague and friend from way back in the Forties when they first met and worked together. :(
Russell is apparently scheduled to present a Sixteen part programme but we gather not weekly, so we wait and see :roll:

karl

Post by karl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't listen to this show but just signed the petition for your sake - however they still seem to need a lot to fulfil their quota.

karl

Post by karl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Lena & Harry Smith wrote:Yes Robert, a lovely tribute to David Jacobs from Russell Davies.
Last Friday week, Desmond Carrington was clearly overcome with emotion when he made a very moving tribute to David who was his colleague and friend from way back in the Forties when they first met and worked together. :(
Russell is apparently scheduled to present a Sixteen part programme but we gather not weekly, so we wait and see :roll:
I used to hear the end of Desmond's show driving home from M&S when my shift used to finish at 7, nowadays I always forget about it. I saw Desmond some years ago presenting a radio show starring Cantabile in the Edinburgh studio, it was really nice like a small theatre.

Talking of radio show am I the only one who listens to Elaine Paige? I love her show, she plays fantastic music has interesting guests and she makes me laugh with that laugh of hers!!!!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 am

We usually catch it Karl and love it also,and even more so now as she played WALK AWAY this week :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Tonight is the final Russell Davies show :( :( :evil: :evil:

Checked next weeks shows and Clare Teals programme has been extened to two hours 9.0 - 11.0 ......I don't even listen to it. I would much prefer to have Russell Davies on for his hour of interesting music/conversation ............then an hour of Clare Teal .....................Bloomin' BBC !!!!

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Robert we will miss Russell Davies programme too, but he will be starting the first part of a series of music on the 2nd of December, but this is going to be on a Monday at 11 pm. Not quite the time that we expected
So we'd better make sure we have an afternoon Siesta. :D :D

Return to “Your other favourite artists”