ELVIS SONGS

Yes it is possible, discuss all your other favourite artists here.
karl

ELVIS SONGS

Post by karl » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:46 am

Hearing Elvis on SOTS this morning prompted me to ask what was your favourite Elvis era?

Elvis made a lot of good records and one favourite is Make Me Know It which was the B side to It's Now Or Never - however his later recordings were some of his very best, songs like In The Ghetto, I Just Can't Help Believin', Suspicious Mind, Way Down etc:

I also felt the same way with Roy Orbison, John Lennon and Dusty. They all had quiet periods and then came back stronger than ever with great material - then they were gone!

mike

Re: ELVIS SONGS

Post by mike » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 am

I had Greatest Hits for both Roy Orbison and Dusty on my ipod the other day, and it struck me that their career revival was very similar. Bothe in the late 1980s, and both brought about by another artist. Pet Shop Boys for Dusty and Jeff Lynne for Roy. Roy's 1980s stuff was really rather excellent, including his live work and his rerecordings of his original 60s hits.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Roy Orbison was also a member of The Travelling Wilburys, with (Jeff Lynn, George Harrison, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan) :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

karl

Post by karl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm

No Elvis fans on here?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I actually love Elvis--but finding it hard to decide which era is my favourite--I guess I would have to go back to the beginning--"Heartbreak Hotel " etc etc etc, as it takes me back to when I was a teenager, and had his posters on my bedroom wall.
Mariana

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:30 pm

I have been an Elvis fan from the start to the end of his career but I don't have any particular era that I prefer. Some of my favourite songs are:

Heartbreak Hotel
Don't Be Cruel
Suspicious Minds
King Creole
Love Me Tender
Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do
All Shook Up
Jailhouse Rock
Blue Suede Shoes
Always On My Mind

I think I had better stop there Karl otherwise I will be listing most of his songs as there are so many good ones to choose from :lol: :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Sounds like quite a few of the earlier tracks in your list, Maureen & harry.
Mariana

karl

Post by karl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

OH yes I like Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do, I think I first heard that on a 78.

I also like Party and Did'ja Evah from G.I. Blues

The earlier tracks were great too with The Jordainers backng him. (I'm sure I mis-spelt that!)
Last edited by karl on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxine

Post by maxine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:52 pm

I love suspicious minds ...American Trilogy always but always makes me emotional ...especially when he sing s ...you know your daddy's bound to die.....my dear late sis love him ...so that has enriched the experience of listening and ..hubby and i going to see a tribute that has been endorsed by his cousin Donna Presley ...our local theatre ....another one off singer......i love Wooden Heart too.....I saw the programme all about him a couple of weeks ago ...and another fave for me ..In the Ghetto ...was one of the top twenty faves voted by the public....it was said that Elvis was actually unsure if wether to release it because he thought it would be too controversial .... But he did the right thing as history shows ...
Softly, I will leave you softly
For my heart would break if you should wake and see me go.....

maxine

Post by maxine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 pm

maxine wrote:I love suspicious minds ...American Trilogy always but always makes me emotional ...especially when he sing s ...you know your daddy's bound to die.....my dear late sis love him ...so that has enriched the experience of listening and ..hubby and i going to see a tribute that has been endorsed by his cousin Donna Presley ...our local theatre ....another one off singer......i love Wooden Heart too.....I saw the programme all about him a couple of weeks ago ...and another fave for me ..In the Ghetto ...was one of the top twenty faves voted by the public....it was said that Elvis was actually unsure if wether to release it because he thought it would be too controversial .... But he did the right thing as history shows ...

Always On My Mind was the top voted one btw 8)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I was wondering what the top one would be-I guessed it would be "Its now or never"---btw how about "Old Shep"--that's another weepie !!
Mariana

maxine

Post by maxine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

mariana44 wrote:I was wondering what the top one would be-I guessed it would be "Its now or never"---btw how about "Old Shep"--that's another weepie !!

Oh no don't even go there ...Old Shep ...can't hear you cant hear you :cry:

mam69singer

Post by mam69singer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 am

My favourite era is the 70s, Elvis voice got more powerful and his concert performance's especially the early part of the decade were incredible, it hasn't always been this era though,as a young lad my mum had the 40 greatest hits on cassette which I practically wore out listening to Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog, at the time the 70's songs weren't on it so buying a few albums with the later recordings was a real eye or ear opener!! I'm not a religious man but I also like the gospel songs, a thing he really enjoyed singing, Mark

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:24 am

Thank you Mark for posting on the MM forum and telling us about your admiration for the one and only Elvis :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

karl

Post by karl » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:43 am

Someone has been trawling the archives as I made the original post in 2013 !

Return to “Your other favourite artists”