JOHNNY MATHIS

Yes it is possible, discuss all your other favourite artists here.
karl

Re: JOHNNY MATHIS

Post by karl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 pm

jon wrote:Two new albums from JM coming soon. On 29 September his new set singing The Great New American Songbook comes out featuring modern songs such as Adele's Hello and Pharell Williams's Happy.

On 8 December a 62-CD set of his Columbia albums appears featuring 25 albums which have not been released on CD before plus two previously unreleased albums and a set of 40 hitherto unreleased songs. God knows what this will cost though. I will have to rob a bank, I expect. It also presumably includes all those albums fans already have, so of course they'll be paying twice.
Jon I think perhaps the new 62 cd set may be split into several volumes as virtually nobody would be able to afford such a set, what do you think?

jon

Post by jon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 am

I see two more of JM's 70s albums are coming out in June: You've Got A Friend (1971) on its own, and Close To You and Love Story (both 1970) as a twofer. I'll certainly be buying You've Got A Friend as it's always been one of my favourite JM albums but has never been on CD; however, most of the bonus tracks on the new edition (though not all) are on the Singles Collection, which I already have.
As for the twofer, I half-expected that Love Story would be re-released along with another previously-unreleased-on-CD album even though it has been on CD before and, to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with this as it's yet again an example of the cynical trick of getting fans to buy something they already have to get something they haven't. In any case I don't regard Close To You as one of JM's better 70s albums, so am not sure I will buy this. Real Gone Music, which I think is responsible for these re-releases, has stated that it will bring out 10 of JM's albums, so these latest announcements, together with those already released, will bring the total to five. That leaves five more to go and I hope these will be the ones I want, but I will have to wait and see. (You'll have gathered that I haven't bought the super-expensive box set which has all of them on.)

karl

Post by karl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

I love Close To You, worth buying for Song Of Joy & Piece Of Dreams but at the prices Real Gone Music charge, the big box set probably works out cheaper!

jon

Post by jon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Karl

To be honest, Song of Joy is one of the least good performances on that album, in my view: it's stilted and laboured as if he'd got out of bed the wrong side that morning. Pieces of Dreams is ok but nothing like as good as the live studio performances he gave of that song - check them out on youtube: they're very good. The tracks I like on Close To You are Evil Ways (the Santana song), Yellow Days and Wave, but not much else.

karl

Post by karl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 pm

jon wrote:Hi Karl

To be honest, Song of Joy is one of the least good performances on that album, in my view: it's stilted and laboured as if he'd got out of bed the wrong side that morning. Pieces of Dreams is ok but nothing like as good as the live studio performances he gave of that song - check them out on youtube: they're very good. The tracks I like on Close To You are Evil Ways (the Santana song), Yellow Days and Wave, but not much else.
Yes it is Jon but I like the wayJohnny sings it, I also have the original single by Miguel Rios.

jon

Post by jon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 am

Two more never-before-on-CD albums of JM's are released on 5 October this year as a two-fer: the 1972 albums Song Sung Blue and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. I'm very pleased about this as Song Sung Blue is one of my favourites, with tracks such as Lean On Me, Make It Easy On Yourself and How Can I Be Sure being among my top JM recordings.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm

jon wrote:Two more never-before-on-CD albums of JM's are released on 5 October this year as a two-fer: the 1972 albums Song Sung Blue and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. I'm very pleased about this as Song Sung Blue is one of my favourites, with tracks such as Lean On Me, Make It Easy On Yourself and How Can I Be Sure being among my top JM recordings.
I like Johnny singing Lean On Me, however Amazon had the big box set at a great price so I treated myself for my birthday, it really is a great presentation. Aftger I bough it the price rose for a few days then dropped even lower than before - typical after thinking about buying it for so long - ah well, c'est la vie!!!

jon

Post by jon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 am

[quote="karl"][quote="jon"]Two more never-before-on-CD albums of JM's are released on 5 October this year as a two-fer: the 1972 albums Song Sung Blue and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. I'm very pleased about this as Song Sung Blue is one of my favourites, with tracks such as Lean On Me, Make It Easy On Yourself and How Can I Be Sure being among my top JM recordings.[/quote]
I like Johnny singing Lean On Me, however Amazon had the big box set at a great price so I treated myself for my birthday, it really is a great presentation. Aftger I bough it the price rose for a few days then dropped even lower than before - typical after thinking about buying it for so long - ah well, c'est la vie!!![/quote]

Hi Karl, Yes, it's difficult to gauge that correctly. It really annoys when a price goes down just after I've bought something on Amazon. I've been wairing for the JM Bert Kaempfert album to come down in price and it just has, so I'm going for it before it's too late!

karl

Post by karl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes Jon strike while the iron's hot !
Last edited by karl on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jon

Post by jon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am

Three more 70s JM albums are due out on 5 October: The First Time Ever I saw Your Face and Song Sung Blue (both 1972) as a twofer, and Me and Mrs Jones (1973) as a standalone release. I'm very glad Song Sung Blue is coming out as it's one of my favourites from way back and (like the others here) has never been on CD before. I expected that Me and Mrs Jones would come out as a twofer with the other album he made in '73, Killing Me Softly with Her Song, but it would appear not. Don't quite understand why that would be.

Return to “Your other favourite artists”