JOHNNY MATHIS

Yes it is possible, discuss all your other favourite artists here.
mariana44

JOHNNY MATHIS

Post by mariana44 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:59 pm

I just had some news over the weekend that surprised and upset me--Merle, the lady who has been running the fan club for the last 5 years is giving it up--and we do not think there will be a replacement-that means no Johnny Mathis Fan Club anymore.

Merle took over from Jo, who had been running the club since 1979, and she had taken it over from another couple.

The fan club has been part of my life for so many years--well, since 1979, and I have made many lovely friends and been on some wonderful holidays, both here and in US. Obviously, I am still in touch with many of my friends, but now that vital "link" will be gone

But thankfully I have this Forum and all my friends here--but JM deserves better--anyone who was at the Manchester concert in 2006, would know what a very strong fan-base he still has.
Mariana

jon

Post by jon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Sorry to hear that. Still, you've always got us, Marian, and that can't be half bad. And of course there are always all those recordings to listen to.

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Sorry to hear your news Marian.
The same thing happened many years ago with the Jack Jones Music Appreciation Society. We were very upset at the time, but friends stuck together and remained loyal supporters, and in a way we have more contact now with Jack than we ever did as a member of a much larger society. :D :D

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm really sorry to read this, Marian.
What a real shame.
I hope you manage to keep in contact with your friends some how.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 pm

We are sorry to hear that Marian, specially when you have made so many friends through the fan club, but I suppose like Johnny himself, many of his loyals supporters are getting older too.
There are his recordings and his web-site and of course as Jon said ..there are us :)

john

Post by john » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:39 pm

That is a shame about the fan club Mariana. It is good to know you will still be in contact with a lot of the fans though. And, echoing everyone else, you have us also. :D :D :D :D

jon

Re: JOHNNY MATHIS

Post by jon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 am

Read this on a jazz website yesterday from someone speculating as to why Johnny Mathis has fallen into relative neglect in the public's eyes in recent years:

"I'm guessing it is because there are very few JM 'collectors'. I've never heard of anyone collecting JM records. Someone might buy one here and one there but does anyone buy them all? And who? Women? Not straight guys. He's not a 'man's singer', but I've never heard of him having a gay following either, so who was buying this stuff?"

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 am

That is crazy--I know lots of serious collectors-including myself.

One album in particular "Warm" was released with at least half a dozen different front covers--I had them all.

I know many of my friends who collect all the foreign imports--many from Brazil-I have a couple of those.

And if that "someone" had been to any of the concerts that JM did in 2006, he would see that his popularity is still outstanding.

How many singers --not talking about pop groups , pop singers, etc--but how many easy-listening singers could fill up the MENA with over 10000 fans ---especially when it is not on the back of a recent "release".

And why has there been no less than 10 of JM's old albums, just rereleased as cds in the last month??

This guy does not have a clue what he is talking about !!
Mariana

jon

Post by jon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Marian

Of course, I totally agree with you. But the writer of the article did preface his comments by saying he had "never been a fan of Johnny Mathis", which would explain his lack of awareness.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:31 pm

I cannot understand anyone writing about someone that they had no knowledge of--it would be like me trying to write about "Guns and Roses"-or something similar
Mariana

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Mariana......I have a brilliant idea.

Why don't you take over the running of the fan club?
That way, you can even get closer to the man himself. :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:31 pm

That would be ideal--however, I do not think I could take on so much work---plus whoever takes over will have to be vetted by the office in USA.

And I can assure you that running the Fan club does not give automatic access to see JM--as I know from speaking to the last 2 Presidents Jo and Merle.
Mariana

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Here's the Streisand/Mathis magic on One God:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGnTxPgp0E

I just love to sing this song too!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:24 pm

That was amazing Terence---but it was never recorded as a duet--it has been "put together"--very cleverly, I have to say.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:33 am

Well JOHNNY MATHIS couldn't be forgotten with his record career and is fronted on our latest issue of "IN TUNE " magazine and been given a Two page covering from editor Gerry Stonestreet with an excellent write up and reviews of Johnny's albums from the past and the 5 CD Ten album on release from "Collectors Choice" etc. :)

Return to “Your other favourite artists”