A Portrait of Matt Monro - DVD

A full length documentary marking the life of Matt Monro with contributions from the world of show business and the singer's family
Administrator
Site Admin

A Portrait of Matt Monro - DVD

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 am

Second release from Odeon Entertainment.
Did you enjoy this documentary?
Which guest was the most interesting?
What was your favourite moment?

Hilary

Post by Hilary » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 am

Hi Michele,

"A Portrait of Matt Monro" is a VERY good documentary on Matt.
I can't really say that I like this one any better than "The man with the golden voice" as both documentaries are brilliant!

In "A portrait of" I liked the part where Bruce told a story about the time when Matt had walked into a glass window/door and the glass had broken.
Not really funny I suppose as Matt could have been very badly hurt.
What was so funny was that Matt had been smoking a cigar at the time and it had been flattened when he had walked into the glass door/window.
You can just imagine what this would have looked like. :lol:

Nice contributions from the Monro family, Tony Christie and George Martin as well. Very good video footage too.
Enjoyed this one VERY much. :D
Hilary

phylliskaye

Meet the Man Behind the Velvet Voice:

Post by phylliskaye » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:58 pm

Matt Monro, a Portrait of: If you know Matt Monro you’ll really enjoy this depiction of his life; if you are just discovering Matt (as am I), this is a wonderful introduction to a warm, loving man who sings from his heart and touches yours. Walk along the path to fame with him, this movie captures his loving persona, and the struggles and victories involved in his life and success. Also, featured are some previously unreleased performances along with songs you already know and love.

You’ll appreciate watching this portrait of a man whose voice can never be duplicated, who will move you and warm your heart with his passionate voice, perfect pitch and wide vocal range, all this and it’s an engaging story too.

phyliss

Post by phyliss » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm

I realy enjoyed portrait it tells that he was a loving husband and father. that is what I love to here about my favorite entertainer. he is warm,charming, full of fun with the audence. WHAT A GUY. so sad he left us to soon.

rest in peace matt
phyliss :)

GregT

Re: A Portrait of Matt Monro - DVD

Post by GregT » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Monrovians..
this is a remarkably candid view into the private side of the public persona of Britain's favourite son,Matt Monro.
As with most of the all too few visual records of Matt's life..we are left wanting more, but respectfully not wishing to 'cross-the-line' .
Dare we expect that Michele's literary masterpiece on her dad will reveal more.??
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 am

I don't think you'll be disappointed Greg. The book runs to 656 pages and no stone has been left unturned.

The special edition will be even bigger and definitely special if current plans come to fruition.

Glad you enjoyed Portrait. The other Doc to watch is "The Man With The Golden Voice" made by the BBC and Green Bay media.
It's not available on DVD I'm afraid due to rights issues, but hopefully it will get shown in Australia if it hasn't already.

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 pm

I picked this up just the other day after having wanted it for quite sometime. Wasn't dissapointed! Throughly enjoyable, informative and well produced. It was great to finally have an overview of Matt's life and career, the interviews were honest and warm it was great to hear Michele and Matt Jnrs opinion on their father's career and hearing their memories of their father. I was also glad that there were several complete performances included as so many documentary's on singers just feature snippets of songs and then move on so it was nice that you got the occasional full performance.

I really wish it had been much longer! This would have given time for a more indepth anyalysis of Matt's albums (the part about the Matt Monro Sings Hoagy Carmichael album was great) and method of recording. Still a fine documentary that was throughly imformative, I'm pleased to say that I am much better imformed about the man.

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Josh, Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll find lots of very knowledgeable people here to help with any questions you might have about Matt and his music.
I hope you are going to read Michele's book "The Singer's Singer" recently released.
This really will tell you all you need to know about the man.
Marian.
:D :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks Marian :D

Yes I do intend to pick up The Singer's Singer soon!

Return to “Portrait of Matt Monro”