Man with the Golden Voice - BBC Documentary

A television documentary special made exclusively with the BBC it charts the singer's life from the poverty stricken streets of London to the elite stages of Las Vegas.
Administrator
Site Admin

Man with the Golden Voice - BBC Documentary

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

What did you think of the programme?
Did you prefer it to the Odeon documentary "A Portrait of?
Did you tape it?
Would you watch it again?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:55 am

Hi--I thought the programme was brilliant. I could not say I prefer it to "APortrait of"-they are both great.

Yes I did tape it, and yes I have watched it many times. I was lucky enough to see it on BBC4 last year.

Marian
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Hello all. Yes I am the same as Mariana44. All the Matt DVD releases and the" Man With The Golden Voice" are top notch, any release by our Matt is top notch. But then again we would say that wouldn't we, as we are Matts #1 fan's on here. (I have yet to buy "Matt at the Movies") I will wait until it is released in the shop's. "Go Go with Matt Monro" sound's awesome.
I had already seen the BBC documentary, but I watched it all the way through again, and I still felt edgy, nervous and excited (know what I mean) watching it again.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

jon

Post by jon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Michele

After watching the new release "Matt At The BBC", I was wondering whether there was any chance of "The Man With the Golden Voice" being released on DVD. This has possibly been my favourite of the shows/productions made about Matt and it would be great to have it in DVD format. Maybe one for the in-tray...Many thanks.

Mark Fox

Re: Man with the Golden Voice - BBC Documentary

Post by Mark Fox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am

It's on again-MATT MONRO BBC FOUR 7:30pm 7th April as part of THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK theme.

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 pm

I shall have to make sure I catch this! Never seen it before, hope it's on IPlayer for repeat viewings :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Don't forget, The Man With the Golden Voice on this evening BBC 4 at 7.30p.m.
Unmissable! :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Shame it won't be available on IPlayer :( and I was mistaken thinking I had BBC4! I was relying on Iplayer to have it available, ah well perhaps one day it can get a DVD release.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm afraid Josh, it's unlikely to get issued on DVD due to some complex licencing problems.

It won't be available on Iplayer for the same reason and because it was made by an independant production company not the BBC.

However the BBC do repeat it regularly - If you can receive Freeview you should be able to be able to get BBC 4.

Have a search on youtube - i'm sure it's feature there somewhere.

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks Richard

I think at some point I did get BBC4 but not anymore lol but I'll try youtube, thanks again.

Good news! The documentary is on youtube. So it's available to Monro fans all year round :D providing it's not take down of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0y8BZVfWDk

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 pm

For anyone that missed it, don't forget the documentary is repeated at 03.15am tonight on BBC4

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Well after finally managing to watch it (one way or another!) I can safeley say it was well worth the wait. A superbly produced documentary and a fine tribute to the talented Matt Monro. I would have preferred more coverage on the music but it's a great look at the man's life and well worth a viewing or three!
This and A Portrait of are must see for fans as they provide a nice introduction to Matt. I felt the highlight of this documentary however was towards the ending with the discussion of Matt's legacy, especially the interview with Max Monro (that was a great idea, odd though as there was no contribution from Matt Jnr?) The documentary looked very classy and professional and I'm sure encouraged alot of people who watched it last night to go out and get some Monro magic, a big well done to all involved.

Of coure the dream would be to have a documentary series that lasted ohhh 9 or 10 hours lol focusing on each little aspect of Matt's life eg pt1 the early years etc that would be sensational! Though for now Golden Voice and Portrait of do a fine job of telling the story of Matt Monro.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:41 pm

I'm finally getting around to watch the DVDs Mariana sent me. She sent me Man with the Golden Voice many years ago for my birthday. So I decided to watch it on Matt Monro's birthday.

I really enjoyed it and kept rewinding to hear the comments and re-watch the performances. Some are songs not included on Matt at the BBC video. I so much love the audience's restrained response. A few of the women were a bit more animated. Different times. I think Robert has commented on this!

At around ten minutes into the video a song is played during a pub scene. The song seems to be Dream Dust, but I can't find it on any of my CDs. Marian from Reading entered the title in the Two Word song titles game. It sounds like an early recording. I love the piano accompaniment and his singing on this song. I love the slow, late night feel; maybe a minor key, but I'm not sure. Is it available on a CD? (I don't do streaming or downloading and can't be bothered with vinyl.)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Pleased you finally caught up Paul and we miss the lovely Mariana 😢 …….. Dream Dust is such a lovely early song by Matt but not sure if it was ever released anywhere ……checked YouTube etc but cannot find it and yes I know the times were different then but can’t believe how subdued the audiences were in those days 😉
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:36 pm

Thanks Robert for the reply. I'll be watching more DVDs from Mariana this weekend. In 2024 I plan to play the CDs she sent me, like Evita in Japanese. The rest of this month is devoted to Christmas music!

I hope Richard knows something about Dream Dust and he and Michele will release it on a CD soon.

Return to “Man with the Golden Voice”