Matt at the BBC

A combination of audio featuring 30 previously unreleased radio recordings with the Ted Heath Orchestra and video footage from 'Morecambe and Wise', 'The Cilla Black Show', 'Saturday Night at the Mill' and Matt's own TV special 'Matt Sings Monro'
Marian

Post by Marian » Wed May 20, 2009 7:40 am

Nice review Robert. :D
I think audiences in those days were much more restrained Robert, and applause when a singer started a song, even a well known favourite, was not considered acceptable in the UK.
It is only in recent years we have followed the Americans lead for this to be accepted here, and become a regular occurrence at UK concerts and shows.
I used to think it would put the singer off, but it doesn't appear to.
Imagine if it happened at a Classical concert though!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Marian :D

jon

Post by jon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 am

Have savoured Matt At The BBC over the last few days and thoroughly enjoyed it (though I haven't got around to watching the Pebble Mill interview yet).

As for the CD part, I enjoyed the songs with Ted Heath's band, though in some cases the instrumental part seems a bit out of keeping with the song (too uptempo where the song itself is slower), but this is a minor quibble as Matt's vocals are spot on; I particularly liked his renditions of "How Little We Know" and "I Should Care", as well as "Skylark" and "A Cottage For Sale".

On the DVD I especially liked "Curiouser and Curiouser" (like Robert, I agree it's a very Val Doonican-style delivery). "Thanks", from the Morecambe and Wise show, was also a treat, a song I understand he never recorded, though I'm sure he does it somewhere else - on another DVD maybe? (sure I'd heard it before). On the Pebble Mill group, I agree with others that "Maria" is fine (even liked his shout, "Maria!", at the end) but for me the crowning glory of the set is "Softly As I Leave You", especially the last phrase; better even perhaps than the recorded version. I also have my thoughts on the audience - yes, very wooden and certainly different to audiences today, but oh dear, were hairstyles and fashions really that bad in the mid-70s? I hope I didn't look like that but I guess I probably did.

The Leslie Crowther/Cilla Black trio thing was OK but I'm not that into these "variety"-style sketches; their value in this case is that they show off Matt as a likeable and versatile guy who obviously had more than one string to his bow in that he could make jokes and act as well as sing, but I'd be happy just to see clips of Matt singing on his own. Welcome material in my view, but not essential.

Let's hope that more CDs/DVDs of this kind can be unearthed.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu May 21, 2009 12:08 am

I knew audiences were more reserved in those days, but you just want them to give him a small round of applause when Matt sings his big hits :) - (when I watched FS at the Royal Festival Hall on DVD from 1971, the audience gave Frank a little applause after the start of every song) :) ............. yes those fashions in the 70's jon, and those thick rimmed black glasses :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: I didn't mention the Cilla sketch in my review, as I'm with jon on this..........they can some times make you feel a little embarassed when watching, those kind of sketches :wink: I did notice the melody on the CD of My Kind of Girl seemed rather fast too jon :wink: .....................any sign of yours yet Marian ??
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu May 21, 2009 8:03 am

Amazon have posted a replacement copy to me yesterday.
Watch this space! :wink:

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm

AT LAST! It's finally here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marian :D :D :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 pm

BRILLIANT! Can't wait for you to hear and see them.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri May 22, 2009 4:52 pm

HOORAY Marian ...at last. :roll:
Robert .... IT'S ARRIVED :P 8) :lol: :lol: :wink:

john

Post by john » Fri May 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Put the flags out everyone, IT'S ARRIVED. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

The people at Amazon would only have to read this section of the forum to know I was being truthful about the first one not arriving wouldn't they??
:D :D :D :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 pm

I don't know if I read the post's correctly, but has yours arrived yet Marian :wink: :lol: ..................I couldn't decide, one way or the other :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm

It has indeed Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 pm

I've watched the DVD today and enjoyed seeing Matt Sings Monro in such great quality. I did already have this show from long ago, but it was wonderful to see it again. My favourite here is Maria, sung beautifully with such incredible feeling.
The audiences of the day were so restrained it was almost painful to watch them, although the applause was good.
I'm sure if there could have been and audience from this forum we would have shown our appreciation much more enthusiastically!!
Of the other shows, I enjoyed Matt's solos 'Thanks' and 'Curiouser and Curiouser' better than the comedy sketch with Cilla Black and Leslie Crowther, but it was a bit of additional light hearted fun. :lol:
I liked the neat packaging and the design and photos on the covers.
Michele's sleeve notes were as always, interesting and highly informative.
I hope to listen to the CD tomorrow if possible.
Marian
:D :D

john

Post by john » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 am

I am pleased you enjoyed it Marian. Like you say it was great to see Matt singing "Curiouser and Curiouser" and "Thanks". Loved the Saturday Night at the Mill section as well. :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat May 23, 2009 11:30 am

Thank you John, I just realised I missed mentioning the Pebble Mill section.
Yes, I loved it too, a really relaxed and amusing interview with Bob Langley, and some nice songs from Matt.
I used to watch Pebble Mill at One every day when it was on, and have similar interviews on video with JJ as a guest.
We also went to one show at Pebble Mill when Jack was there.
Marian :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat May 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Have enjoyed reading your review on the DVD Marian, they do bring back a lot of memories for us, specially how superb Matt was on those programmes.
The audience participation in those days sometimes depended on where the show was taking place. We always enjoyed Pebble Mill and also have video's of artists including Al Martino, one of these interviews was with Richard and Judy. Have to say that of the Two it is quite noticeable how Richard Madely has kept looking so young, or should I be surprised. :) :)

Return to “Matt at the BBC”