Matt at the BBC

A combination of audio featuring 30 previously unreleased radio recordings with the Ted Heath Orchestra and video footage from 'Morecambe and Wise', 'The Cilla Black Show', 'Saturday Night at the Mill' and Matt's own TV special 'Matt Sings Monro'
Marian

Post by Marian » Sat May 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Wasn't there a Marian, I can't recall her surname, who also carried out interviews on Pebble Mill? and a little chubby chap!
I think Richard Madely is several years younger than Judy isn't he Lena? but I should certainly think living with Richard has hastened the ageing process in leaps and bounds!!
I can't really remember much about Saturday Night at the Mill. It's more Pebble Mill at One that I remember.
They had some really great guests, and the programme took place in the foyer of the studio.
I was really sorry to see it go.
Marian :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Yes, I think there was a presenter named Marian, can't think of her surname either at the moment. It was Paul Coyte who also nterviewed Al.
Yes, poor Judy Finnegan was hardly ever able to get a word in edgeways was she, and If we ever see and hear any sign of Richard embarassingly dressed up and murdering that song from Phantom at any time again. I'll complain to the controllers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat May 23, 2009 5:37 pm

He was really convinced he had a great voice too :oops: :oops: :oops:
I hope he's not a secret reader of this forum!! :? :?

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat May 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Well if it stops him singing Marian :lol: :lol:

john

Post by john » Sat May 23, 2009 6:53 pm

It was Marian Foster who was a presenter of Pebble Mill. :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat May 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Thank you John. That is definately her, Marian Foster. :D
Marian :wink:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 pm

The little chubby chap Marian, was a large chubby chap called Donny Macleod, who I have mentioned on here before, as he passed away with cancer :( :( ....................another of the presenters of that very entertaining show was David Seymour :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun May 24, 2009 7:28 am

Thank you Robert. I had got as far as remembering Donny as his first name, but was stuck on the surname.
Now I can picture him, he was quite a large chap wasn't he? :wink:
Marian :D

jon

Post by jon » Tue May 26, 2009 8:14 am

That's right, Marian. I remember him as well, as I do the rest of the Pebble Mill team. Donny Mcleod died of cancer in 1984 at the age of 52.

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 am

Yet another far too young Jon. When you see these people fit and in their prime, it's hard to even imagine that they will die so young.
Hopefully one day, cancer will no longer be the killer it still is today. :cry:
Marian.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 am

When I look back to nearly 50 years ago, when my dad died of cancer, the treatment now, and survival rates are truly amazing--but sadly there is still a long way to go-- I have a good friend right now , who is suffering badly, but no more can be done for her. But on the plus side, I have several friends who have pulled through and are living normal lives again.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue May 26, 2009 10:17 am

There has been a lot of progress in the treatment of cancer particularly for Leukaemia sufferers. Not too many years ago there was little hope of survival for anyone diagnosed with this. Survival often depends on what form of cancer, of which there are many.

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 am

I know the rates of survival are so much higher nowadays but unless caught early enough and totally eliminated, sadly it nearly always re-occurs.
:(

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am

To get back to Matt at the BBC and a happier subject altogether.
I have at last listened to to whole of the CD of Matt with the fantastic Ted Heath Orchestra, and with Johnnie Spence, and agree with Lena and Harry that this is a real treasure.
I enjoyed the whole of the CD, especially gems like Skylark and I Should Care, to lighter songs like Small Fry. It is a super selection.
Thanks again to Richard and Michele for all their hard work, and for bringing yet another special item to our collections.
The whole package was well worth the wait! :D :D :D and I hope whoever got my first order becomes an avid fan too.!! :D :D :D

Marian :wink:

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue May 26, 2009 4:32 pm

So pleased that you have heard it at last Marian.It hasn't been the same not reading your review.What an amazing selection of material,how lucky are we to have Richard and Michele 'on the case' and finding such gems.
On of our favourites is 'The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else' with the Ted Heath Orchestra really giving it some.

Return to “Matt at the BBC”